How to set exclusive image for Alamy

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Before checking the "Only available on Alamy" box, it might be a good idea to wait for the new exclusive/non-exclusive contract to come out.

It might contain a few surprises...

Are you saying we won't be able to change the 'exclusive' option if we don;t like the new contract?

55 minutes ago, John Walker said:

Are you saying we won't be able to change the 'exclusive' option if we don;t like the new contract?

Or maybe the 6 month waiting period will apply here as well?

Or will it be the Hotel California model? Oops.

wim

1 hour ago, John Walker said:

I doubt very much that would be the case, but who knows. We don't really know what Alamy means by "exclusive" yet.

1 hour ago, David Pimborough said:

Anyway a reply from Alamy

"We will be introducing a “Not exclusive to Alamy” filter soon, so once that is live you will be able to mark them as exclusive. "

That will make things easier to find and correct

That should be helpful, but first we need a proper definition of "exclusive" (and "not exclusive"), plus we need to see the terms of the new contract.

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

That should be helpful, but first we need a proper definition of "exclusive" (and "not exclusive"), plus we need to see the terms of the new contract.

so a buyer will see "not exclusive to Alamy" then search for the photo on a micro site and buy it for 35 cents. still don't understand why you would put the same photo for sale on different platforms ? my small brain I guess, don't get it 😁

50 minutes ago, Ace said:

so a buyer will see "not exclusive to Alamy" then search for the photo on a micro site and buy it for 35 cents. still don't understand why you would put the same photo for sale on different platforms ? my small brain I guess, don't get it 😁

I don't submit to micro sites, but I don't have all my own eggs in one basket either. Alamy has always counseled against this approach BTW. Stock agencies are often very different and have different customers.

Also, we've not been told yet about images on POD sites and other grey area websites, duration of "exclusive" designation, etc. 

P.S. I doubt very much that Alamy is going to advertise that an image is "not exclusive to Alamy". That wouldn't make much business sense. They are just referring to a filter that we can use to identify our own non-exclusive images by the sounds of it.

8 hours ago, Ace said:

Largely different buyers. If someone has a subscription or other arrangement with another outlet, they're not likely to shop around - the shopping around comes when making the choice of supplier.

7 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Largely different buyers. If someone has a subscription or other arrangement with another outlet, they're not likely to shop around - the shopping around comes when making the choice of supplier.

Something else to consider is that if you're in the distributor scheme (I am), your images aren't really "only available on Alamy", and they can already be licensed for a variety of amounts because distributors set their own prices, which may be lower or even higher than Alamy's.

11 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Something else to consider is that if you're in the distributor scheme (I am), your images aren't really "only available on Alamy", and they can already be licensed for a variety of amounts because distributors set their own prices, which may be lower or even higher than Alamy's.

I think our share of distributor sales will remain the same. 

Paulette

57 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I think our share of distributor sales will remain the same. 

Paulette

Yes, that's the rumour.  However, the point I was trying to make (in response to Ace's comments about micros etc. above) is that our images are already spread around to different agencies charging varying fees -- sometimes almost as low as microstock --  if we're in the distributor scheme .

On 04/01/2019 at 17:45, David Pimborough said:

Anyway a reply from Alamy

"We will be introducing a “Not exclusive to Alamy” filter soon, so once that is live you will be able to mark them as exclusive. "

That will make things easier to find and correct

What a good idea

13 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, that's the rumour.  However, the point I was trying to make (in response to Ace's comments about micros etc. above) is that our images are already spread around to different agencies charging varying fees -- sometimes almost as low as microstock --  if we're in the distributor scheme .

John, that's a fair point about the distributor scheme, thinking of dumping it and presentation. thinking .........

42 minutes ago, Ace said:

John, that's a fair point about the distributor scheme, thinking of dumping it and presentation. thinking .........

You can't opt out of presentation. Only out of Personal Use. 

9 hours ago, Ace said:

Not me, I'd lose a sizeable chunk of my income if I opted out of the distribution scheme. I don't really have anything against it. I just brought up distribution to make a point -- i.e. our images are already spread around and available through different agencies.

11 hours ago, Ace said:

sorry meant personal use, but not sure yet 

I have opted out of PU a while ago as I couldn't stomach the dishonesty and lack of interest on fraudulent uses from Alamy.

As predicted, some migrated to Presentation... At least I have taken little action I could.

I have suggested to Alamy in the Suggestions and Ideas section of the Forum to allow us to also opt out of Presentation.

Gen

10 hours ago, gvallee said:

I have opted out of PU a while ago as I couldn't stomach the dishonesty and lack of interest on fraudulent uses from Alamy.

As predicted, some all migrated to Presentation... At least I have taken little action I could.

I have suggested to Alamy in the Suggestions and Ideas section of the Forum to allow us to also opt out of Presentation.

Gen

Agree. Its the obvious wrong use of an image as PU thats bugs me .

Dont see with how, as it us, you can challenge buyers ?

Adrian 

10 hours ago, gvallee said:

As predicted, some migrated to Presentation... At least I have taken little action I could.

Gen

Did you ask Alamy to opt out of Presentation? A couple of years ago I asked Alamy to opt out of PU because sick of fraudulent uses. As a few days ago I sold a panoramic image of a Kuala Lumpur skyline for a highly doubtful Powerpoint presentation, I decided it's time to opt out also of this use.

3 minutes ago, stipe said:

Did you ask Alamy to opt out of Presentation? A couple of years ago I asked Alamy to opt out of PU because sick of fraudulent uses. As a few days ago I sold a panoramic image of a Kuala Lumpur skyline for a highly doubtful Powerpoint presentation, I decided it's time to opt out also of this use.

No point in asking, it's not allowed. That's why I posted it in the 'Suggestions' section.

Just received an email with details of the contract changes.

I’m assuming that as Alamy is the only library we have uploaded our images to they are all deemed to be exclusive to Alamy, even for distributor sales. 

Archived