Sony RX100

Just bought myself an early Xmas present of a Sony RX100 ( a bit lighter to carry around than my 5D mii)  just wondered if any of you kind folk could offer any tips on using it to its best, things like best programs setting, modes etc, thanks all.

Best aperture on my RX100 version 1 are as follows.

Wide angle best F4 tolerable F3.2 to 5.6

Normal    best F5 tolerable F4.5 to 6.3

Tele  F6.3 only, and that is barely tolerable.

ISO 125 and best aperture, no need to downsize.

Anything not to the above tolerances, downsize to 14 megapixels.

These are only rules of thumb. Here is a shot that breaks all of the quality rules, but still worth taking. The Sony is great when you are not in a serious big time shooting mood and leave your 5DM11 behind. When you are not in a serious shooting mood the most amazing things present themselves. Just like getting a good idea when you are in the shower.

You are going to like it.

E00J7C
Passenger aircraft wing over Los Angeles approaching LAX at night Los Angeles California USAStock Photo

2 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

These are only rules of thumb. Here is a shot that breaks all of the quality rules, but still worth taking. The Sony is great when you are not in a serious big time shooting mood and leave your 5DM11 behind. When you are not in a serious shooting mood the most amazing things present themselves. Just like getting a good idea when you are in the shower.

E00J7C
Passenger aircraft wing over Los Angeles approaching LAX at night Los Angeles California USAStock Photo

I wish my shower had airplanes and city lights! 😂:lol:

• Love 3

5 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

E00J7C

Thanks Bill I will try your settings out over the weekend, hoping for some sun!

1 hour ago, Nick Hatton said:

Thanks Bill I will try your settings out over the weekend, hoping for some sun!

And don't quite forget your Canon 5DII - the RX100 is handy to bring where you would not carry your dSLR, but as to image quality there is a difference (I also use the  5DII) - when using the RX100 I often shoot more images to be sure. Night photos and low light photos it often handles better than the 5dII, though, but you have to deal with noise and sometimes downsizing.

Quite excellent for video, as well. I sell video clips from this also - or did, frequent video sales seem to have become more rare. Did you buy version III or IV? IV has 4k video - 3 only HD.

Edited by Niels Quist

I have also been looking at this camera as an everyday, keep with me camera. Seems like the main difference between the last 3 versions are the lenses used? The sensors seem to be the same. My main concern is IQ, I know many people say it is a good camera but I do tend to "pixel peep" and also print large. I think I need to compare IQ to my current "point and shoot" camera, the Canon EOS M50.

Time to do some research, thanks for reminding me of the RX100!

3 minutes ago, Rudix said:

I have also been looking at this camera as an everyday, keep with me camera. Seems like the main difference between the last 3 versions are the lenses used? The sensors seem to be the same. My main concern is IQ, I know many people say it is a good camera but I do tend to "pixel peep" and also print large. I think I need to compare IQ to my current "point and shoot" camera, the Canon EOS M50.

I also have the Mark 1 and find the IQ adequate, but much prefer 6D. That said, I put the camera with batteries and a polarizer in a belt pouch and I'm able to shoot if an opportunity presents itself. I think the later versions have improved IQ, but haven't tried one yet.

Had my RX100 for a couple of days now and to be honest finding it a bit on the noisy side, disappointed really I don't think it is a match for my Canon G1 X , on the plus side it does fit in my jeans pocket! will give it a weeks trial.

16 hours ago, Rudix said:

Be aware that the newer models (a lot more expensive) have much better autofocus.

31 minutes ago, Nick Hatton said:

Had my RX100 for a couple of days now and to be honest finding it a bit on the noisy side, disappointed really I don't think it is a match for my Canon G1 X , on the plus side it does fit in my jeans pocket! will give it a weeks trial.

Thanks for the feedback Nick.

I have downloaded some RAW files and also looked at some reviews and I am afraid you are right about the noise. As much as I like the idea of a tiny camera it is no use if I cannot live with the IQ, for me noise is a killer, maybe I am spoiled by cameras with large sensors but I know from experience that if I do not love the images coming out of the camera it will soon join other cameras on the "never used" shelf. There are already some "nice" cameras like a Leica there that I simply did not "bond" with. Great lens but crappy sensor. I have kind of set my personal lower limit for IQ at the level of the Canon EOS M50.

I think I need a FF camera, preferable with exchangeable lenses, that will fit in my pocket.....

27 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Be aware that the newer models (a lot more expensive) have much better autofocus.

Thanks Ed, yes, I noticed that the later models like the V and VI has better AF, but they are also quite expensive, at least in my part of the world. If the sensor was better (larger?) I would not mind but the sensors all seem to be similar. I would be happy with a decent sensor (maybe AP-C size with low noise) and a lens that is the equivalent of a FF 24-70 f/2.8.

6 hours ago, Alex Ramsay said:

I love this camera - tiny, sharp (at the right aperture and used with care) and makes superb stitched panoramas. Noise is easily handled - I have RX100 (Mk II) images on Alamy shot at 3200 ISO, no problem.

Alex

Out of interest do you use the in camera panorama function? If so what’s the secret? I’ve tried it lots of times but never get results good enough for Alamy as they show weird stitching artefacts (a sort of repeating ripple in a few areas at top and bottom of frame. Not very noticeable but certainly risk a QC fail.

Mark

11 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Out of interest do you use the in camera panorama function? If so what’s the secret? I’ve tried it lots of times but never get results good enough for Alamy as they show weird stitching artefacts (a sort of repeating ripple in a few areas at top and bottom of frame. Not very noticeable but certainly risk a QC fail.

Mark

No, never - I always shoot a series of images and blend them in Lightroom

Alex

3 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

No, never - I always shoot a series of images and blend them in Lightroom

Alex

I agree LR works better than what most cameras can do internally and you can then also shoot and keep the RAW files. ICE from Microsoft also works well to stitch panoramas and it is free.

Here is the ICE download link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52459

Rudi

Edited by Rudix
Added link
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rudix said:

I agree LR works better than what most cameras can do internally and you can then also shoot and keep the RAW files. ICE from Microsoft also works well to stitch panoramas and it is free.

Here is the ICE download link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52459

Rudi

Thanks for the link

Mark

14 hours ago, Nick Hatton said:

Nick
Have a quick look at my portfolio - 5500 images all taken with RX100 cameras - no QC fails and sales every month.

John

• Love 1

9 hours ago, John Walker said:

Nick
Have a quick look at my portfolio - 5500 images all taken with RX100 cameras - no QC fails and sales every month.

John

Very impressed John, guess I just need to get used to it, any tips for getting the best out of it? off to cover the Cheshire Hunt now but think i will be taking the 5D!  

When the RX10 (18-200) mark 1 came out 4 years ago I got one. Sent it back as there seemed to be an issue with not getting sharp images. Put it down to a duff model and ordered another from John Lewis. Same happened. I just couldn't get sharp images (shot in Raw) so ended up with the Nikon D750 and primes. Having said that the Sony RX10 shot incredibly good video footage.

A few years on and the D750 is still going strong BUT I don't always want to lug it around with me everywhere, and changing lenses is a pain in the backside (as well as risking dust on the sensor) I haven't got a phone that shoots dencent images (I have not much need for a new phone really to justify getting one) so I am thinking on perhaps the RX100 Mark 6 with the 24-200mm for street photography and as an easy carry around when out and about shopping etc when I have no room to carry an SLR. I have sourced it online in the £700 price range (almost twice as much in most stores) so am a bit tempted but I don't want to get lazy and leave my Nikon at home gathering dust as an expensive ornament. I just like the idea of being able to shoot quick video with a decent reach as well as good stock images. decisions decisions.

You can compare all models here side by side with an image comparison tool and drop downs for different models. https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx100-vi-m6/7

Edited by Marb

I think one issue in getting sharp photos with the RX100 is that it can be harder to hold steady. I only have the first one so I am holding it out in front of me. It may be easier with the later models that have a viewfinder.

Paulette

On 12/24/2018 at 09:14, Nick Hatton said:

Very impressed John, guess I just need to get used to it, any tips for getting the best out of it? off to cover the Cheshire Hunt now but think i will be taking the 5D!  

Hi Nick,

I can't give you many tips for sharp images.  Nearly all of my photos are taken on the  Full Auto Setting (in good lighting conditions).  All I do is compose the shot and press the shutter.  The resulting image quality is all I need for stock.

John

39 minutes ago, John Walker said:

I can't give you many tips for sharp images.  Nearly all of my photos are taken on the  Full Auto Setting (in good lighting conditions).  All I do is compose the shot and press the shutter. 

What about images of fast moving subjects?

Niels

Edited by Niels Quist

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

I think one issue in getting sharp photos with the RX100 is that it can be harder to hold steady. I only have the first one so I am holding it out in front of me. It may be easier with the later models that have a viewfinder.

Paulette

Yes, I think the viewfinder improves my photography with this camera,  both steady-wise as composition-wise. I also hate the screen in bright sunlight. I have the III, and would have liked the IV, mostly due to the 4k video - but I only use it as my "bring at all times" camera - as I really like my dSLR.

Niels