Sony RX100

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

That's great and what a relief. Bet you had gnawed you nails down to the knuckle having to wait so long.

Allan

It was a nightmare - DPD wouldn't speak to me as I didn't send it, etc.  At least I have it now!

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Which model did you get, Andy?

Edo

Mk III, Edo.  Love it!

16 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ah, I had the III for several years. It's perfect for what you shoot. My only problem with it was the auto-focus was sluggish. My 100/6 is the box I use 92% of the time now.

Happy shooting!

I haven’t used it enough to discover its limitations yet and I won’t for the rest of the week as I’ll be using the big guns, but next week. 👍

Edited by Colblimp

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I haven’t used it enough to discover its limitations yet and I won’t for the rest of the week as I’ll be using the big guns, but next week. 👍

Take it with you anyway it is not heavy and you can slip it in your pocket. An opportunity may arise.

Allan

19 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Take it with you anyway it is not heavy and you can slip it in your pocket. An opportunity may arise.

Allan

I did that yesterday - in the pocket, looking like a tourist.  Love it! 😂

21 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

LOL

I use a wrist strap on my Sony RX100/6 and my a6000. I have a regular strap on my RX10. It feels strange. 

Ha! My wrist strap is so long it can go around my neck. 🤣

wim

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Ha! My wrist strap is so long it can go around my neck. 🤣

wim

This is reminding me of a Monty Python sketch.

Allan

Yesterday, I went out for my first walk with the family since lockdown started in The UK. And the camera I had with me was my Sony RX100 M3. And as a consequence, I am currently keywording a bunch of pictures in AIM. And this is one the beautiful things about this camera.. I was able to slip it into my pocket and take a few pictures as we went. Taking my DSLR would not have been practical and might have raised some unwanted attention.

Edited by Matt Ashmore

2 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Yesterday, I went out for my first walk with the family since lockdown started in The UK. And the camera I had with me was my Sony RX100 M3. And as a consequence, I am currently keywording a bunch of pictures in AIM. And this is one the beautiful things about this camera.. I was able to slip it into my pocket and take a few pictures as we went. Taking my DSLR would not have been practical and might have raised some unwanted attention.

Late converts are always the most zealous. 😁

Glad you like it. Welcome to the club. 🏅

wim

null

22 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

The memory is the first thing to go, wim. Ask me, I can tell you all about it. 😉

You're the second one telling me this today. See my memory is excellent!  🙈 🧠🚮

Ok just in case: I want a seat by the window, preferably looking out over water.

And a cat. A real one; not one on batteries. Unless I really don't know the difference anymore. 🐱🔋🔋🙀

And some music with that: everything from Stile Antico with the wonderful Ashby sisters; Tallis; The Sixteen; Pluhar; Jaroussky; Sandy Denny; John Renbourn and those other guys. Maybe I should learn how to make playlists in Spotify now.  Hmm could this work?

Ok one more: Cohen/Antony.

😿

wim

11 hours ago, wiskerke said:

null

You're the second one telling me this today. See my memory is excellent!  🙈 🧠🚮

Ok just in case: I want a seat by the window, preferably looking out over water.

And a cat. A real one; not one on batteries. Unless I really don't know the difference anymore. 🐱🔋🔋🙀

And some music with that: everything from Stile Antico with the wonderful Ashby sisters; Tallis; The Sixteen; Pluhar; Jaroussky; Sandy Denny; John Renbourn and those other guys. Maybe I should learn how to make playlists in Spotify now.  Hmm could this work?

Ok one more: Cohen/Antony.

😿

wim

Love your sense of humor, wim, and thanks for recognizing mine. Reality...I can handle most things connecting to my body’s health, but I’d rather be dead than to lose my mind. And I know how sharp you are. 🗡⚔️🔪🪓

I’ll take my parrot on my shoulder and everything Willie Nelson has recorded. Elvis, some disco, (BeeGees) and some doo-wop.

And one of my daughters to comb my hair and pluck any chin hairs 😁 I might grow.

Nick and Andy, since you both already bought your little Sonys, I didn't want to say . . . you should have bought model XZ4978, or something. But you may well want to upgrade to a newer model in the future, so. . . . 

If you're married to auto-focus as I am now, the auto-focus on the 5, 6, and 7 is quicker and better. Canadian Bill is right about his f-stop selections and the problem with sharpness on the RX 100/6 and 7 long ends. I have the RX100/6 24-200 and a RX10 with 24-200, too. If I had a RX100/5 with 24-70, that would be my go-to camera.

Having said all that, my telephoto snaps are okay and have all passed Alamy QC. 

Nick, my main problem with the original RX100 is it has no popup viewfinder. I use mine almost all the time for tree reasons. 1. The glare on the back screen is terrible, 2. I want the visual intimacy the viewfinder gives me, and 3. I suffer from Essential Tremor and cannot keep the camera steady when I hold it out from my body. Without the viewfinder, I would not be using the Sony RX100/6. 

Edo 

On 01/05/2020 at 17:04, Betty LaRue said:

John Renbourn and those other guys.

Ah! the late great John Renbourn, he was performing right up to the end, I saw him a short time before he died. And of course his some time partner Bert Jansch another great loss to music. My other heroes from that era were the Incredible Sting Band,  the beautiful October Song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCnJdQ9izto

seems strangely appropriate for us oldies in these melancholy times.

Edited by Russell
typo

• 2 weeks later...

My RX100 Mk7 is starting to see some use, so easy to carry with me and quick to use. I still have to scrutinise skies at 100% or more, not for dust but birds. Could have done with a polarising filter yesterday to cut down glare on water, but the jjc filter holder I ordered from China still hasn't arrived. I did wonder if I was right to spend out in these uncertain times and with potential revenue loss, but glad I did now. I've been carrying either just the RX100, or RX100 and D750 with 70-300 lens.

10 hours ago, sb photos said:

with a polarising filter yesterday to cut down glare on water,

Don't know about the mk7 but there is a neutral density filter on board the mk3 in the menu.????

Or did you really need a polariser?

Allan

19 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Don't know about the mk7 but there is a neutral density filter on board the mk3 in the menu.????

Or did you really need a polariser?

Allan

Unlike earlier versions of the RX100 the Mk6 and 7 don't have built in built in ND filters. The adapter I bought is still in limbo between China and the UK. Worrying as other items bought at the same time were delivered after around 5 - 7 weeks, not surprising delays. A more recent Chinese delivery of electronic components only took 3 weeks, arriving yesterday. That was unexpected. The overdue adapter fixes around the lens and has a 52mm filter thread. Yes, a polariser would have enhanced the image, but I think I got away without it, but I will revisit with a backpack and more gear. Originally I only set out for a pre breakfast short walk but was intrigued by a Lower Winchendon 4 mile footpath sign so just kept on walking. It's surprising what you find just a few miles from home.