22 hours ago, KevinS said:

Assuming it's a Rights Managed image, it is possible that someone has a very detailed plan and these are the rights needed. The photo must have fit their needs. But the fee should be the total of those use fees, maybe discounted for being bundled. James admitted in a video that Alamy still has a lot to learn. Setting proper fees and communicating with contributors would be a good start.

In Nov 2013 Alamy said this to Photocritic;  'We respect our photographers, you’re important to us and we want to be fair.' 

If he and Alamy have not learned after 17 (?) years then there is no hope !

55 minutes ago, Martin P Wilson said:

If he and Alamy have not learned after 17 (?) years then there is no hope !

Coming up on 20 years. The closer I look at Alamy the more I see that they do a poor job with licenses and communicating accurate details to the contributor.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

Expected response from Alamy - basically 'we are always trying new things'. 

Thats not an answer- its pathetic and shows a total disregard for the contributor and makes a complete mockery of the RM licence. Ah but Alamy want us all to convert to RF don't they so they can join the micro brigade.

Regen

9 hours ago, regen said:

Thats not an answer- its pathetic and shows a total disregard for the contributor and makes a complete mockery of the RM licence. Ah but Alamy want us all to convert to RF don't they so they can join the micro brigade.

Regen

It appears that they are trying to wriggle out of the licensing abuse of PU/presentation sales and therefore avoid all the subsequent hassle and workload when these are brought to their attention. By bundling usages in this way, it makes it far more difficult to ascertain if a buyer has misused a cheap licence. 

By creating such nonsense licences as this for RM images, they don't need contributors to declare content for sale as RF, it's almost being done by default. 

On 12/21/2018 at 23:06, regen said:

Its about time alamy gave us an explanation of exactly what all these terms they use in licensing actually mean and how they can justify such all encompassing licences for the relatively small fees they obtain.

Agreed.  I'd also contend it's about time Alamy ditched the MS prices and started charging real money for licences!

I see many talk as if RF = Microstock. 

I have never seen it this was, but happy to be set right if I am wrong.

In my mind, MS is low cost, non-exclusive.

I have no problem with RF as a licensing model - but I do with the prices that a lot of places list them for - thankfully, not all agencies are the same, and some have decent prices for RF. 

I am now with two of them, waiting on a third. One is very boutique (and I think more geared to RM). The other is more general, but have asked a lot of questions, and their aim is to lessen their distribution sales and build a stronger exclusive library. And I have been assured they sell images at their list price.

Of course, I am taking them at their word, so I have yet to see how all this turns out, but I'm willing to take that chance. 

I'm so glad I never submitted in earnest to any micro's.

On 02/01/2019 at 18:39, Phil Robinson said:

Expected response from Alamy - basically 'we are always trying new things'. 

That is me paraphrasing - I don't believe in quoting private emails - though if Alamy want to come back with an official explanation......

On 21/12/2018 at 12:23, Phil Robinson said:

Anyone had one of these?

Usage: Business use, One of each of the following uses: Personal use, presentation, internal communication, student project, reference for artist, personal website, personal social media, personal print or card, business website, small book (up to 1000 print run, not front cover), small magazine/newspaper (up to 1000 print run), a digital marketing campaign. Worldwide license. Excludes advertising.

In perpetuity.

???????????????

Just had the same licence in today, first one I’ve seen...

Usage: Business use, One of each of the following uses: Personal use, presentation, internal communication, student project, reference for artist, personal website, personal social media, personal print or card, business website, small book (up to 1000 print run, not front cover), small magazine/newspaper (up to 1000 print run), a digital marketing campaign. Worldwide license. Excludes advertising.
Start: 07 January 2019
Duration: In perpetuity

20 minutes ago, dmj said:

Just had the same licence in today, first one I’ve seen...

Start: 07 January 2019
Duration: In perpetuity

I had a response to my enquiry, I replied to the response - I am still awaiting a response to my reply to the response. 

I have had two of these nonsense-sales  today. Business fronts. Not a PU subject at all.

I really fear it will be the future for us. Not really worth it any longer.

Looking forward to any sort of reply, Phil.

Niels

16 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

I had a response to my enquiry, I replied to the response - I am still awaiting a response to my reply to the response. 

Email replies to queries seem to have dried up. No reply to my email on Monday but no auto reply either.......

On 21/12/2018 at 15:56, Cryptoprocta said:

Sorry to hear you've been feeling unwelcome.

But don't tar us all with the same brush. Scotland is making a big push to retain our EU workers.

Hear hear. Our doors will always be open if we have anything to do with it.

50 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Email replies to queries seem to have dried up. No reply to my email on Monday but no auto reply either.......

They said yesterday that due to increased volume of late that replies may take a bit longer than usual.

Archived