Anyone had one of these?

Usage: Business use, One of each of the following uses: Personal use, presentation, internal communication, student project, reference for artist, personal website, personal social media, personal print or card, business website, small book (up to 1000 print run, not front cover), small magazine/newspaper (up to 1000 print run), a digital marketing campaign. Worldwide license. Excludes advertising.

In perpetuity.

???????????????

That's a weird one!

Oddest one we had recently was: 

Usage: Personal use, Stampe, cartoline e regali personali o materiale di ispirazione per artisti. Solo per uso non commerciale, vietata la rivendita.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 02 October 2018
End: 02 October 2023
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 02 October 2018
End: 02 October 2023

(this was a UK sale, not a distributor sale, so why the Italian??)

The scariest part of this is personal social media. An open invitation for the image to be stolen. A friend steals and posts, a friend of the latter steals, then before you know it the ponzi scheme has it everywhere. Business use, you name it. After all, it’s on the internet so it’s free.

Blows my mind.

Betty

22 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

There may still be one Italian person, using Italian as their first language still living in the UK. They'll be gone by 29th March 2019.

LOL :)

Thankfully the swiss/UK goverments have ironed things out, deal/no deal/no leave, so I'm a bit less stressed - been feeling most unwelcome in the UK.

On topic, the uses granted seem far too flexible. I'm still new, still figuring out where to put my images, and have only been putting a few on Alamy for the last couple of months, and the more I read on prices, the less inclined I am to make this my primary sale point.

I have kind of figured out a 4 tier system, where alamy is on the third tier, microstock on the bottom.

3 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

Anyone had one of these?

Usage: Business use, One of each of the following uses: Personal use, presentation, internal communication, student project, reference for artist, personal website, personal social media, personal print or card, business website, small book (up to 1000 print run, not front cover), small magazine/newspaper (up to 1000 print run), a digital marketing campaign. Worldwide license. Excludes advertising.

In perpetuity.

???????????????

I had one of those earlier in the week, Phil. Is there a new Swiss Army knife licence?

7 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Sorry to hear you've been feeling unwelcome.

But don't tar us all with the same brush. Scotland is making a big push to retain our EU workers.

Any point in mentioning Switzerland is not in the EU?

3 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

Anyone had one of these?

In perpetuity.

???????????????

One of each use! Hope it was a decent price.

14 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Indeed, but a lot of agreements are quite strongly tied to UK being part of EU.

My grandmother was British, but unlike the Swiss (my grandfather), don't automatically gain nationality unfortunately.

1 minute ago, chris_rabe said:

Indeed, but a lot of agreements are quite strongly tied to UK being part of EU.

My grandmother was British, but unlike the Swiss (my grandfather), don't automatically gain nationality unfortunately.

I have extended family from several countries not EU - and have seen their problems travelling and visiting here first hand.
Both Britain and Switzerland are intelligent sensible countries and agreements should not be a problem - from what you posted above it has been sorted.
It is wrong that you have been made to feel unwelcome - one regret I do have is the hijacking of Leaving as an excuse for expressions of racism and intolerance that have always been there, just hidden.
If you are ever in my area (near Bath) look me up - there are some cracking pubs that serve excellent pints.

5 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

Anyone had one of these?

In perpetuity.

???????????????

The customer must have listed all these uses and Alamy generated the license? Why in perpetuity?

1 hour ago, Starsphinx said:

None whatever.

FYI Switzerland has a bilateral free movement agreement with the EU. So if EU citizens lose their right to free movement, so do Swiss nationals.

I didn't know that Chris was Swiss, but now we do, maybe you could explain to him why you voted to remove his free movement and residence rights.

Is it too much to expect you to understand what you voted for?

20 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

None whatever.

FYI Switzerland has a bilateral free movement agreement with the EU. So if EU citizens lose their right to free movement, so do Swiss nationals.

I didn't know that Chris was Swiss, but now we do, maybe you could explain to him why you voted to remove his free movement and residence rights.

Is it too much to expect you to understand what you voted for?

If you promise not to report me.
I understand fully what I voted for - including the already agreed protections of those from the EU currently resident in the UK.  What I voted for is that anyone from any country who wants to come here to live or work, will be assessed equally according to fair criteria.  I voted to remove a situation where people from some countries were made to undergo processes people from other countries were not.  Where the assessment of my brother in law from Africa was far more severe than the assessment of people travelling from Poland. 

I will also flip this around and ask have you considered the impact freedom of movement has on the eastern European countries who have joined more recently?  Some of those opposed to Brexit are aware of the problems - some are not.  The vast majority of Brexit campaigners were aware of the issues. 

2 hours ago, regen said:

Its about time alamy gave us an explanation of exactly what all these terms they use in licensing actually mean and how they can justify such all encompassing licences for the relatively small fees they obtain.

Assuming it's a Rights Managed image, it is possible that someone has a very detailed plan and these are the rights needed. The photo must have fit their needs. But the fee should be the total of those use fees, maybe discounted for being bundled. James admitted in a video that Alamy still has a lot to learn. Setting proper fees and communicating with contributors would be a good start.

In Nov 2013 Alamy said this to Photocritic;  'We respect our photographers, you’re important to us and we want to be fair.' 

Size is important! For 20 years when I licensed everything myself as RM. I worked with a range of sizes i.e. spot,1/16,1/8,1/4,1/2,1 page,DPS,Cover etc and priced accordingly. i don't think Alamy bother with this in many instances and licence for 1 page but with spot size prices. An explanation of how this works for them and us would be good.

Regen

1 hour ago, Phil Robinson said:

Also, almost every license I see has contradictory date info. They give a start and end date three months apart, then a 'duration' of five years. It's meaningless and less than useless. They need to sort this out.

I take the short duration to be the frequency of publication, and the long one to be archive rights. You can't unpublish a magazine after all.

On 12/21/2018 at 07:23, Phil Robinson said:

Anyone had one of these?

In perpetuity.

???????????????

I'll bet you got a lot of money for that one.  Please share with us the explanation you get when you query Alamy.  I think that's one for Alan Capel, head of sales, to explain.  alan@alamy.com

Archived