Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Will Alamy be including a way to mark live news uploads as exclusive? If not I will be rethinking the way I cover news.

Edited by Phil Robinson
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mentioned the “ftp window” in another thread. So yeah, the lag between upload and the chance to use AIM to tick the box exposes LN to a 20% penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried explaining this in an email, I don't think they have figured this one out yet!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were going exclusive for news I would use a specialist news agency, that may figure in my plans for next year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be easy to include Rights Usage Terms in the IPTC field, no?

ie. Exclusive use 72 hours Alamy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Luckshot said:

I mentioned the “ftp window” in another thread. So yeah, the lag between upload and the chance to use AIM to tick the box exposes LN to a 20% penalty.

 

I send to several agencies including Alamy, all of them get exclusive frames from a shoot so this would never happen to me. The problem is The Sun for example using an image several times outside of the initial 48 hours live news period, it would mean checking the tick box every time.

I think what I suggested above may be the way forward?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lawrenson that sounds like a good idea re. IPTC field. I send separate frames, too (apart from the odd unintended one that slips through when photo mechanic plays up), but they can look very similar to the eye, so having it in the data may be the best way forward.

 

Although it would mean one more thing to do in the workflow and rush to get them into ftp. But definitely preferable to having to go into AIM and checking that window, when you might well be on the go again as soon as the ftp has finished (or during if filing direct from camera/phone).

 

Also, not sure if I'm the only one with that bug, but AIM doesn't function properly on my phone, so I tend to not go to AIM when out and about (unless there is time and I'm on the laptop/pad), I just have a quick check if they've hit the feed. I quite like that other agencies send a brief confirmation mail when they've received the images, but understand that this may be difficult for Alamy due to much lower resources on the desk. But in an ideal world, if they were to implement that sort of confirmation system, then additional info like exclusivity could also be confirmed that way.

 

Or perhaps news contributors could be asked if they want to sign an 'exclusive frames unless otherwise stated' clause (voluntary) in their contract - that would get round the problem for those who are happy to do so. It would mean only ticking that box/notifying the desk if images are not exclusive. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, imageplotter said:

Also, not sure if I'm the only one with that bug, but AIM doesn't function properly on my phone,

Yep, AIM doesn't work on phones. You can view the live news feed though which is what I do, so I never carry a laptop, ipad anymore (cameras --> iphone --> alamy live news)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, imageplotter said:

but they can look very similar to the eye, so having it in the data may be the best way forward.

Thinking out loud you could put variable "Image number {frame} granted exclusive rights to Alamy for no more than 72 hours" in the Rights Usage Terms to keep the IPTC data unique to that image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course - 

15 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

 

I send to several agencies including Alamy, all of them get exclusive frames from a shoot so this would never happen to me. The problem is The Sun for example using an image several times outside of the initial 48 hours live news period, it would mean checking the tick box every time.

I think what I suggested above may be the way forward?

 

and hopefully the exclusivity clause will still allow this and not include similars... otherwise its a whole different ballgame...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Then I would go with the one with more reach and paid the most :lol:

 

Absolutely - and then it WOULD impact the live news feed ... (as all the Pros that send in would go elsewhere)...

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been confirmed you will be billed 50% at the point of invoicing so if you haven't set your live news images by then as exclusive you'll get 40%.

They are working on a default exclusive button ( I guess in the cog wheel in AIM)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Just been confirmed you will be billed 50% at the point of invoicing so if you haven't set your live news images by then as exclusive you'll get 40%.

They are working on a default exclusive button ( I guess in the cog wheel in AIM)

Something to do in the evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Just been confirmed you will be billed 50% at the point of invoicing so if you haven't set your live news images by then as exclusive you'll get 40%.

They are working on a default exclusive button ( I guess in the cog wheel in AIM)

"working on" - they have three months to work it out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2018 at 09:09, LawrensonPhoto said:

Yep, AIM doesn't work on phones. You can view the live news feed though which is what I do, so I never carry a laptop, ipad anymore (cameras --> iphone --> alamy live news)

I'm not a fan of phone filing, I quite like to have a slightly larger screen to check for sharpness and do at least basic adjustments, I'd rather send off pics I'm happy with. I know I won't ever be able to compete with the wire agencies anyway as far as time is concerned, because some of their togs can rely on the back end doing some of the captioning/basic image adjustments for them. But I'm aware that's just my personal preference and yes, it slows me down and has disadvantages. C'est la vie. It's relative though, my laptop has slowed down considerably in the last 12 months and needs replacing asap. But I have absolutely no desire of getting into that segment of breaking news/major event/accident/red carpet type images where time and elbows are the only factors. 

 

Mental note - sit down and work out which pics are exclusive (travel stock). Not looking forward to this....Arrrrrgggghhhh 

 

Edited by imageplotter
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, imageplotter said:

I'm not a fan of phone filing, I quite like to have a slightly larger screen to check for sharpness and do at least basic adjustments, I'd rather send off pics I'm happy with. I know I won't ever be able to compete with the wire agencies anyway as far as time is concerned.....

 

I am absolutely with you on this. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 09:32, imageplotter said:

I'm not a fan of phone filing

 

SOOC image in The Express yesterday sent within a couple of minutes of taking it, not perfect but if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. What's not to like :D

 

Camber, East Sussex, UK. 21st Dec, 2018. UK Weather: These kite surfers make the most of the ideal conditions to kite surf with gale force winds exceeding 40mph. This wind surfer gets a piece of the action as well. © Paul Lawrenson 2018, Photo Credit: Paul Lawrenson/ Alamy Live NewsStock Photo

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 17:20, Martin P Wilson said:

If I were going exclusive for news I would use a specialist news agency, that may figure in my plans for next year

like who Martin, news is not an area I know anything about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mark Baigent said:

like who Martin, news is not an area I know anything about.

 

I would have to do more research but there is London News Pictures, Rex (sort of), and the there are the news agencies that handle news stories (with and without pictures). South West Press rings a bell, there used to be a regular contributor on these forums who took employment with an outfit in Birmingham as I recall. His name escapes me at the moment, (Michael ??)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

 

I would have to do more research but there is London News Pictures, Rex (sort of), and the there are the news agencies that handle news stories (with and without pictures). South West Press rings a bell, there used to be a regular contributor on these forums who took employment with an outfit in Birmingham as I recall. His name escapes me at the moment, (Michael ??)

You are possibly thinking South West News Service - SWNS appears on their stuff.  I have been put onto them by a couple of different people.  They are big, they are a news service and they definitely take photos and video.  Next time I trip across something newsy that is not being covered by a voracious pack and where I am not trying to upload from my laptop in the middle of nowhere I do plan on giving them a whirl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

You are possibly thinking South West News Service - SWNS appears on their stuff.  I have been put onto them by a couple of different people.  They are big, they are a news service and they definitely take photos and video.  Next time I trip across something newsy that is not being covered by a voracious pack and where I am not trying to upload from my laptop in the middle of nowhere I do plan on giving them a whirl.

 

I think I will try SWNS; I am sure they were who I had in mind, but there are others (Solent, Cambridge and Birmingham/West Midlands also have similar outfits). Especially if I have a story where I can put some words to the pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.