Understanding Exclusivity

Also re: POD, FineA**A****** also allows the photographer to make images available for download.

I personally would be very willing to not use that option, if I could leave my images there only for POD purposes.

Of course if Alamy's Art.com POD capabilities were more robust and able to be utilized on my own website somehow, I would forgo FAA completely.  But I don't see that happening.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

As you say, photographers Direct, as the name implies, is a way of selling images directly to buyers. It's not a stock agency, so I don't see how having low-res images posted on the PD site would interfere with exclusivity here. Plus, I'm not even sure that PD is still operating.

I was with Photographers Direct for many years and made some decent sales. They now appear to be defunct. At least, the website no longer works.

18 minutes ago, Stan Pritchard said:

I was with Photographers Direct for many years and made some decent sales. They now appear to be defunct. At least, the website no longer works.

Same here. Their website seems to be semi-functional. You can still delete images, but it's a tedious process.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

It's quite clear that some of you don't understand what exclusive means:

It's very simple... do not upload identical or similar shots to other outlets.

You can speculate on a million conflicting scenarios, but it up to us a professionals to play ball.

Sorry, but that's too simplistic. See my post of questions above. 

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I just had another listen to the video and didn't hear mention of POD sites. Alamy needs to clarify this as many contributors have images on PODs. They aren't stock agencies, so I don't see how they could be considered Alamy competitors.

Alamy now offers prints, at very low prices compared to the best-known POD site.

We can opt out of selling prints on Alamy, which is lumped with PU for opting out. Whether opting out of prints here would count as exclusive if the file is on a POD site, I couldn't say.

I think we need to hold fire until James clarifies what's meant by exclusivity. On the video he said he'd be doing that over the next quarter.

There's not much point in us speculating on what might or might not count as 'exclusive'.

1 minute ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Alamy now offers prints, at very low prices compared to the best-known POD site.

We can opt out of selling prints on Alamy, which is lumped with PU for opting out. Whether opting out of prints here would count as exclusive if the file is on a POD site, I couldn't say.

I think we need to hold fire until James clarifies what's meant by exclusivity. On the video he said he'd be doing that over the next quarter.

There's not much point in us speculating on what might or might not count as 'exclusive'.

+1

3 hours ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Nothing could be simpler - it was clear this was coming, so I just emailed member services last night and asked them to switch all my images to 'only available on Alamy' - done by the next update

Alex

After watching this morning's video I realized that all of mine are exclusive to Alamy, as none are on sale with anyone else.  I had misunderstood this previously, and so did not have the "only on Alamy" box checked for all the images that I've used on my own blog, which included quite a few of them. So I realized I needed to fix this.

I was able to bulk change my collection myself, very easily. In the AIM, I clicked "control-A" (for "select all"), then checked the "only on Alamy" box and then clicked "save". It wasn't immediate, but the status dots seemed to indicate that the AIM was working its way through my collection - and voila, a minute or so later, they all had the box clicked as I had wanted. I double-checked by filtering the search for "exclusive to Alamy" and all of them came up.

Granted, my collection is very small compared to many contributors (just shy of 300 at this point) - so this may not work for everyone, and it may be slower for many of you than it was for me.

2 hours ago, CandyAppleRed Images said:

That was the point I was trying to make earlier. A lot of Attribute search options are binary, i.e. Model Released/Non-model released and the same for property.

But there is no inverse for exclusives - it either shows all images or exclusives, but not non-exclusives. Makes it hard to find the 200 or so I have not flagged and also highlight the very few I need to leave as non-ex.

Yes, I read your post but I thought I would mention it again to emphasise the point... :)

6 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

The ability for a customer to order a POD print via Alamy is not obvious and very convoluted.   For someone serious about wanting to sell POD it's not really useful.

4 hours ago, amycicconi said:

The ability for a customer to order a POD print via Alamy is not obvious and very convoluted.   For someone serious about wanting to sell POD it's not really useful.

Something else to consider is that on F*** A** Am*****, we pay to set up a website, so in a way we are selling prints through our own websites, which James suggested is OK.

11 hours ago, Tony said:

It's quite clear that some of you don't understand what exclusive means:

It's very simple... do not upload identical or similar shots to other outlets.

You can speculate on a million conflicting scenarios, but it up to us a professionals to play ball.

Does it count our personal photography websites?

10 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Something else to consider is that on F*** A** Am*****, we pay to set up a website, so in a way we are selling prints through our own websites, which James suggested is OK.

True.  But I'd like to hear Alamy confirm this.

Archived