It's official- 50% for exclusive - (JW response video to commission change)

That's good news. It will be a lot of work though. I had restricted all my images to personal use after the first video and now I will take a look at each image and if it is exclusive at Alamy, I will unrestrict it and mark it as exclusive.

I need an precise definition of "exclusive" though. Is it enough that an image is not available on any other stock agency? Some of my images of skyscrapers are also in a skyscraper database, which also allows you to buy images of skyscrapers. Does that count as a stock agency? I did not sell a single photo there for years anyway.

3 minutes ago, regen said:

discounts for bulk which make my cut less than a cup of coffee, poor chasing of infringements without any real penalty, handing over large files when a very small one would suffice for use purchased,ridiculously long licence periods which make a mockery of RM.

Indeed. And now the CEO expects us to tie ourselves to this steadily sinking ship or forfeit 20%. Forgive me for not cheering this announcement.

2 minutes ago, hotbrightsky said:

Indeed. And now the CEO expects us to tie ourselves to this steadily sinking ship or forfeit 20%. Forgive me for not cheering this announcement.

I have no problem tying myself to the sinking ship because I "wrote " all my files off when they did the last commission reduction. I am,however, happy to accept the monthly money transfer each month until that sails off into the sunset.

regen

33 minutes ago, Skyscraperfan said:

I need an precise definition of "exclusive" though. Is it enough that an image is not available on any other stock agency? Some of my images of skyscrapers are also in a skyscraper database, which also allows you to buy images of skyscrapers. Does that count as a stock agency? I did not sell a single photo there for years anyway.

I was wondering the same.  James mentioned being able to sell your own prints, but I'd like specific information regarding that.  For example, is selling prints via a print on demand site such as Fine**ta****** allowed or not?  

48 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

I find some of your comments lacking in pre-thought. Some of us have been here before the new AIM, and the old one did not allow for images to be marked as exclusive.

So, there's "silly" (as in your comment) and there's "we had no choice".

Nothing stopped us from going back and adding appropriate info, ticking boxes (in bulk if wanted) to older files, probably when we were going back over them to sort out the inappropriate mashing and splitting that happened during the process. Of course, this would have been much more time-consuming for those with larger ports.

While I'm happy that Alamy has made a compromise, I have mixed feelings about this move, especially since Alamy has been a non-exclusive agency for so many years. Changing direction in mid-stream is going to have its risks. The 50% for exclusive announcement is great news for those contributors who are already 100% Alamy-exclusive (contrary to Alamy's past recommendations). However, those of us with images elsewhere really need a proper definition of what Alamy means by "exclusive" and who exactly they consider to be their competitors. The vague explanation  in James' latest video is not sufficient. Hopefully further information and clarification will be provided sooner rather than later.

4 minutes ago, Nick Hatton said:

Many thanks for listening James. Merry Christmas! I can enjoy my annual weeks holiday in my caravan on the banks of the Thames in Abingdon so much more now!

You loiter in Abingdon when the offices are closed?! :o

Any chance you could press the 're-set' button on my account? Set the dial to ~2006 and I'll bung a box of single malt outside your caravan on Xmas morning! :lol:

2 hours ago, Number Six said:

Many thanks for listening James. Merry Christmas!

ps. I don't suppose you could sort out Brexit as well?  :)

I don't think Alamy have sorted anything out - sure they have changed their policy after many comments on here and you tube - but some photographers have only got back what they had 3 weeks ago

Whilst its encouraging that Alamy have perhaps listened - lets not get over excited about their brilliance

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

What would we do without his heart-on-sleeve posts....and his martinis.

"heart-on-sleeve" I don't have a heart....but I do make the best martini.

bit early EST though.

I know I have written way too much on this topic, but I do feel the need to add:

Any agency or library is what the contributors make it.  The license fees also depend

on the images.  I've been involved with Live News since it began on Alamy and I think

it is up to contributors to raise the level on images, caption info and speed uploading, the

last is something I am guilty of.  I take way too much time to finish images and

make mistakes in the IPTC info.  I know wire photographers that are so fast that it

seems like they are uploading before they have even taken the photograph.  Editing

of selecting images to upload also needs to be improved.

James has listened to us, now let's make sure we listen to him.

Chuck Nacke

Seems like an extra headache (and cost) to police those who claim the content is exclusive when it's not. The extra 20% isn't enough for me to encourage exclusivity but I suppose it's better than nothing. At another agency I won't mention here the difference between non-exclusive (15%) and exclusive (40%) is considerable. 

1 hour ago, losdemas said:

You loiter in Abingdon when the offices are closed?! :o

Any chance you could press the 're-set' button on my account? Set the dial to ~2006 and I'll bung a box of single malt outside your caravan on Xmas morning! :lol:

Tried to find the office once for a photo but failed miserably! 

27 minutes ago, Nick Hatton said:

Tried to find the office once for a photo but failed miserably! 

Alamy is on Milton Park which is nearer to Didcot than Abingdon. Has an Abingdon Post code though. Drove past there last week!

Interesting and a quick turn around, which as some have suggested may have been the plan, but of course it may not. At least James can now say, you can't find these images anywhere else, so the customer can pay a premium, or that would be good if it was the case? Let's hope it is.

Even though 2/3rd's mine are exclusive to Alamy in the way I've ticked the button, we need a clarification as to what this actually means, are we handing them over and we can't use them on our own websites for example?

Also, it would be very handy if, seeing as we can see the images we have ticked the "exclusive image" button on, via the Attributes button in AIM, if there was also another Attributes box that shows, images that aren't exclusive.

This would really help James!

Overall though, considering the company is still growing, I'd have preferred, the new 40% to Photographers, to be for new uploads from February, that aren't exclusive and not taking 20% off my non-exclusive image images that I have uploaded already, especially at the continued overall lowering of prices in general.

Thanks

Chris

11 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

Even though 2/3rd's mine are exclusive to Alamy in the way I've ticked the button, we need a clarification as to what this actually means, are we handing them over and we can't use them on our own websites for example?

James specifically said on the video that we'd be able to sell via our own personal websites.

I consider it a positive and fair decision for those who are loyal to Alamy.

On the other hand, in the AIM "Attributes", there is the option "Exclusive Alamy', it would be good to add the "Non-exclusive" option to filter the images in case we need to find and change some image attribute.

Providing James has seen sense, and I'm sure he has, I will re allocate all of my images to Alamy exclusive. By selecting 500 images at a time it shouldn't take long but I'll leave it till the new year just to make sure. As for trust, well that may take longer to rectify. Knee jerk reactions don't inspire confidence in the company either.

6 hours ago, hotbrightsky said:

Why? I've seen no evidence that images exclusive to Alamy command higher prices. Why would anyone willingly tie themselves in contractual knots without an incentive?

If you're looking for certainty, you're in the wrong business. 

All of mine are exclusive. I uploaded 15 after the announcement (non-exclusive, now changed to exclusive.) Then I sat back to see what transpired before deciding if I would upload again.

I'm happy to have the 50%, but I must admit from now on, I’ll be waiting for the other shoe to drop. A lot of the trust is gone. Time will tell whether I get it back again. I’m the type of person who gives loyalty and trust as a matter of course. So I fall harder than some when that trust is broken. I’m not feelin’ the love.

I'm in, but I’m keeping one eye open..

Betty

• Alamy unpinned this topic

Archived