So, stock photography...

I'm not a great contributor currently, which gives me a lot of flexibility. 

I had an idea of how I was going to move forward - wait til I had 1000 to 2000 wildlife photos before I started approaching wildlife/nature agencies. Alamy was going to be for everything else. 

But, to be honest, it's taking a while, and I need to start seeing some kind of return sooner rather than later - understanding that stock is not going to make me big bucks. 

I'm loathe to put my images on microstock (including alamy there now) sites, as it just feels like exploitation. But I may have to give in to that to a degree. 

I have my, and in a perfect world, that would suffice, but there are a lot of challenges in that. 

What I'm thinking is, list pretty much all my images on various ms sites, but only up to 12mpx, and keeping everything over 12mpx on my site only. 

Of course, they'd have to to know there was a higher res version available. I could allude to that on profile page on respective ms portfolio page. 

This isn't a fully formed idea yet, but does it sound like the beginnings of a sensible strategy? Or a waste of time? 

10 minutes ago, chris_rabe said:

What I'm thinking is, list pretty much all my images on various ms sites, but only up to 12mpx, and keeping everything over 12mpx on my site only. 

Of course, they'd have to to know there was a higher res version available

I'm wondering whether an editor might think of that as being a bit of a faff. Depending on the quality and subjects of your images there could still be good money to be had on Alamy for wildlife images as long as you can accept the rough with the smooth, knowing you'll only get rough on [other] micros.

I'm not going to comment on your plan as I don't have the experience to make a useful contribution. However,  I do want to comment your comment (along with some other contributors here) now counting Alamy  among the microstock sites.

I recently saw a forum post (not on Alamy) where the contributor was counting it as a triumph to have campaigned against the agency in question dropping their royalty per image to $0.28; they had eventually been persuaded to set the royalty at $0.35 per image. This was seen as a victory. :o Alamy has dropped our cut from 50% to 40% and it is a most unwelcome act and ought to be reversed, for all the reasons outlined elsewhere; but it does not even begin to place Alamy in the same category as the micro-pence returns per licence of the microstock agencies. We do get some low prices here, but, even at its worst, I've never yet had one that was not twenty times more than that same image would probably have earned on a microstock site. We should be fighting to make Alamy the best it can be in a difficult market, not chucking the baby out with the bathwater by dismissing it as 'microstock' and looking to place our hard won and expensively produced images in the cents bargain bin at other places.

It may be that Alamy are bargaining on more of the likes of me reaching this conclusion and, once the dust has settled, gaining acceptance of the prospective cut to 40%. I'd like to think though, that they are listening and are a better company than they are being given credit for at the moment. I like to think they will find a better way of going forward.

Right, mini-rant finished. Maybe someone else can steer this thread back on topic and answer the OP's query. :)

4 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

This isn't a fully formed idea yet, but does it sound like the beginnings of a sensible strategy? Or a waste of time? 

Overthinking imo. Just focus on shooting quality in-demand content with excellent metadata. 

Chris!  hahaha!  there is NOTHING you can come up with that havent been tried and beaten to death by all of us for many, many years!..you can not win!  WHY?  because just when a formula is working a little along comes agencies search-changes completely slaughtering many portfolios every time!

So whats the answer?  stay away from cut-price agencies! and go with the Trads!

Trouble is to go with the trads and be successful you have to be able to meet certain criteria.

Produce excellent quality consistently.

know your subject(s) intimately.

have a portfolio which represents quality,quantity and depth of field in your subject for initial submission.

be prepared to accept rejection and then go back with better.

Be as committed to your subject as you are to photography

In short they are not for the part time amateur and they are certainly not a short cut to riches!

But probably the only way forward until they disappear under a mountain of average dross selling for peanuts.

Regen

14 hours ago, Avpics said:

I'm wondering whether an editor might think of that as being a bit of a faff. Depending on the quality and subjects of your images there could still be good money to be had on Alamy for wildlife images as long as you can accept the rough with the smooth, knowing you'll only get rough on [other] micros.

Possibly, but 12mpx would be sufficient for a lot, but if someone really wanted something, wouldn't it be worth the effort?

10 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

Overthinking imo. Just focus on shooting quality in-demand content with excellent metadata. 

I am focusing a lot on getting out with camera and trying to improve all the time. But I'd like to consider my options moving forward rather than trowing in the towel, just because.

But I am willing to concede it may be pointless :)

2 hours ago, christian58 said:

Chris!  hahaha!  there is NOTHING you can come up with that havent been tried and beaten to death by all of us for many, many years!..you can not win!  WHY?  because just when a formula is working a little along comes agencies search-changes completely slaughtering many portfolios every time!

So whats the answer?  stay away from cut-price agencies! and go with the Trads!

I'm sure a lot has been tried :)

I'm just constantly surprised that photographers have willingly fed this beast to such an extent... and I need to consider how much I am willing to feed it myself.

I'm not sure I can avoid them for now. If I end up feeding the beast myself, it will be with the aim to having it be only temporary, until I can find platforms that are fair to all parties.

2 hours ago, regen said:

Trouble is to go with the trads and be successful you have to be able to meet certain criteria.

Produce excellent quality consistently.

know your subject(s) intimately.

have a portfolio which represents quality,quantity and depth of field in your subject for initial submission.

be prepared to accept rejection and then go back with better.

Be as committed to your subject as you are to photography

In short they are not for the part time amateur and they are certainly not a short cut to riches!

But probably the only way forward until they disappear under a mountain of average dross selling for peanuts.

Regen

Indeed, it's because I feel I need a much stronger and larger portfolio that I have not applied to more traditional agencies. I have been biding my time, trying to build things up, but in order to do that, I need more cash flow - and to do that, I need to sell out. 

I just don't want them to have their cake and eat it. I think I will try this approach for a while. It won't be much more overhead splitting delivery size.

I have nothing to lose :)

18 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

I'm loathe to put my images on microstock (including alamy there now) sites, as it just feels like exploitation. But I may have to give in to that to a degree. 

Exploitation? The same 7,000 or so images I have duplicated both here and on micros earn me 3-4x more there then they do here on any given month. Not taking a view what is best, just stating a fact. 

I'm trying to run a business, not a charity.

I am focusing a lot on getting out with camera and trying to improve all the time. But I'd like to consider my options moving forward rather than trowing in the towel, just because.

But I am willing to concede it may be pointless :)

Establish an efficient workflow that works for you and brings you the best return on your time/efforts. It's taken me a while to fine-tune mine but I can shoot/post-process/keyword/upload much much quicker than a few years ago!

29 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Exploitation? The same 7,000 or so images I have duplicated both here and on micros earn me 3-4x more there then they do here on any given month. Not taking a view what is best, just stating a fact. 

Establish an efficient workflow that works for you and brings you the best return on your time/efforts. It's taken me a while to fine-tune mine but I can shoot/post-process/keyword/upload much much quicker than a few years ago!

I spent months earlier this year sorting my catalog and figuring out some kind of work flow. Probably still things I could improve, but I can be relatively efficient. 

But I still have a lot of photos to work through. 

26 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

I appreciate that you share this information but I fear many here are so dyed in the wool anti-M'Stock that they don't listen or maybe won't listen. I know you have shared similar details before and I just wanted to say thank you for being so open about this (M'Stock earnings being higher on a particular collection). We all need to read posts like this and learn because the whole market has changed a lot since the beginning of M'Stock.

I think if we all take anything away from this whole issue, at present, its that everything changes.

34 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

I may have asked you before, but are the same images selling here as on the micros?

Are the same images selling on every micro, or are there clear differences?

Do you have many multiple sellers here and/or on the micros? Like 5x; 10x; 20x? or are  they mostly 1x or 2x?

I'm aware the answers may well be in your book or blog, but I'm not behind my home desktop machine right now.

We probably all have noticed that you have a blog and a book about how to succeed as a stock photographer, does that bring in any serious money compared to the income from stock photography itself?

Parts of the answers may well answer parts of the OP's  questions.

wim

edit: typo

3 minutes ago, Panthera tigris said:

I appreciate that you share this information but I fear many here are so dyed in the wool anti-M'Stock that they don't listen or maybe won't listen. I know you have shared similar details before and I just wanted to say thank you for being so open about this (M'Stock earnings being higher on a particular collection). We all need to read posts like this and learn because the whole market has changed a lot since the beginning of M'Stock.

I think if we all take anything away from this whole issue, at present, its that everything changes.

Yes, that's fine and have sensed the resistance since the beginning - red arrows don't bother me. I'm not some sort of tout standing in front of a MS fast-food restaurant with a menu trying to entice more sophisticated customers over. More of a journalist and report on my facts (hence the brutally honest label). We see Alamy drop commission rates and someone mentions that MS is "exploitative". You can make up your own mind...I just like receiving regular PayPal payments every month, regardless of the source. 

6 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

I may have asked you before, but are the same images selling here as on the micros?

Are the same images selling on every micro, or are there clear differences?

Do you have many multiple sellers here and/or on the micros? Like 5x; 10x; 20x? or are  they mostly 1x or 2x?

I'm aware the answers may well be in your book or blog, but I'm on behind my home desktop machine right now.

We probably all have noticed that you have a blog and a book about how to succeed as a stock photographer, does that bring in any serious money compared to the income from stock photography itself?

Parts of the answers may well answer parts of the OP's  questions.

wim

1. are the same images selling here as on the micros? Usually not. My top 5 best sellers on MS land have never sold on here, interestingly. Clearly, Alamy is catered more to an editorial market so my commercial/creative images tend to struggle more on here. 

2. Are the same images selling on every micro, or are there clear differences? Generally yes. Pareto applies throughout, with a few surprises. 

3. Do you have many multiple sellers here and/or on the micros? Like 5x; 10x; 20x? or are  they mostly 1x or 2x? My Alamy sales haven't been fantastic in terms of volumes but I was a late bloomer here and my keywording was pretty bad in the beginning...I'm very close to approaching 100 all-time sales on here, compared to 20,000+ elsewhere. Obviously average price there is considerably lower than on here. 

4. We probably all have noticed that you have a blog and a book about how to succeed as a stock photographer, does that bring in any serious money compared to the income from stock photography itself? Yes, please check out my blog at www.brutallyhonestmicrostock.com . Depends on what you mean by "serious money". Continuing on with my brutally honest theme, I've sold about 700 copies of the e-book. It's more of a brand thing than actually looking for profit....and should help me pick up more lucrative private client work.

Nevertheless, It's part of the giant stock photography/videography business puzzle I've developed for myself with every segment contributing in their small way:

- Microstock (15 agencies or so)

- Midstock (including Alamy)

- Book covers (won't mention the agency but it's on my blog)

- Stock footage (new to me and very few sales so far)

- Print on Demand (not much going on there)

- Book sales + contributing articles at other blogs/magazines

- Affiliate commission via blog

So when I see that Alamy reduced their rates 20%, I'm not really bothered because in the overall grand scheme of things, it won't make much of a difference. It's difference for those that rely 100% on Alamy...then you're kinda fked because, what's to say they won't reduce rates further in a few years or negotiate steeper discounts to buyers. GL

5 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

Yes, that's fine and have sensed the resistance since the beginning - red arrows don't bother me. I'm not some sort of tout standing in front of a MS fast-food restaurant with a menu trying to entice more sophisticated customers over. More of a journalist and report on my facts (hence the brutally honest label). We see Alamy drop commission rates and someone mentions that MS is "exploitative". You can make up your own mind...I just like receiving regular PayPal payments every month, regardless of the source. 

1. are the same images selling here as on the micros? Usually not. My top 5 best sellers on MS land have never sold on here, interestingly. Clearly, Alamy is catered more to an editorial market so my commercial/creative images tend to struggle more on here. 

2. Are the same images selling on every micro, or are there clear differences? Generally yes. Pareto applies throughout, with a few surprises. 

3. Do you have many multiple sellers here and/or on the micros? Like 5x; 10x; 20x? or are  they mostly 1x or 2x? My Alamy sales haven't been fantastic in terms of volumes but I was a late bloomer here and my keywording was pretty bad in the beginning...I'm very close to approaching 100 all-time sales on here, compared to 20,000+ elsewhere. Obviously average price there is considerably lower than on here. 

4. We probably all have noticed that you have a blog and a book about how to succeed as a stock photographer, does that bring in any serious money compared to the income from stock photography itself? Yes, please check out my blog at www.brutallyhonestmicrostock.com . Depends on what you mean by "serious money". Continuing on with my brutally honest theme, I've sold about 700 copies of the e-book. It's more of a brand thing than actually looking for profit....and should help me pick up more lucrative private client work.

Nevertheless, It's part of the giant stock photography/videography business puzzle I've developed for myself with every segment contributing in their small way:

So when I see that Alamy reduced their rates 20%, I'm not really bothered because in the overall grand scheme of things, it won't make much of a difference. It's difference for those that rely 100% on Alamy...then you're kinda fked because, what's to say they won't reduce rates further in a few years or negotiate steeper discounts to buyers. GL

Thank you! Insightful answers! Probably for the OP too. Except maybe the one about the multiple sellers ;-).

I agree about the 20% thing. Alamy themselves have repeatedly warned against the eggs=1 basket thing. However in my case almost all the other outlets have gone the way of the dodo already.

wim

18 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

Do you submit all the same photos to all these agencies?

Is it not possible this is a part of the problem with the whole model? With all togs submitting everything, everywhere, the agencies all have similar stock, and so all they really have to compete on is price?

I'm not saying it is, I'm just thinking out loud.

I don't think I could deal with submitting to so many. I would like to find about a half dozen or so, perhaps. 

3 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

Do you submit all the same photos to all these agencies?

Is it not possible this is a part of the problem with the whole model? With all togs submitting everything, everywhere, the agencies all have similar stock, and so all they really have to compete on is price?

I'm not saying it is, I'm just thinking out loud.

I don't think I could deal with submitting to so many. I would like to find about a half dozen or so, perhaps. 

Yes, using StockSubmitter, which is a blessing. Half a dozen or a dozen is the same with this software. 

Generally, buyers don't shop around that much. I've looked extensively into the relationship between zooms here and subsequent sales there and saw almost no links (I'm well aware that not all zooms are recorded so I have to work with the data that is available). Others have looked at this and have come to the same conclusion. There are many many more complex factors involved than just simply pricing on whether a buyer purchases at one agency or another. 

In any case, a few months ago, I received some valuable insight from Alamy and published the following blog post:

www.brutallyhonestmicrostock.com/2018/02/06/do-alamy-buyers-search-elsewhere-answers-from-alamy/

22 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

My Alamy sales haven't been fantastic in terms of volumes but I was a late bloomer here and my keywording was pretty bad in the beginning...I'm very close to approaching 100 all-time sales on here, compared to 20,000+ elsewhere. Obviously average price there is considerably lower than on here. 

Thanks for sharing this information.

This figure of 100 all time sales is interesting. I have had a similar amount of sales 2017-2018 but with a far smaller port. I only consider myself as an average contributor.

Do you think this could be as a result of the majority of your port being available on micro-stock. 

Not criticising, just curios. 

2 minutes ago, BobD said:

This figure of 100 all time sales is interesting. I have had a similar amount of sales 2017-2018 but with a far smaller port. I only consider myself as an average contributor.

Do you think this could be as a result of the majority of your port being available on micro-stock. 

I think my relatively poor results have to do with my extremely low CTR caused by bad keywording in my early days. I also had quite a few similars which didn't do me any favours.

I've cleaned up my act on the above and results have improved, both in CTR and $ earned. My port has grown a lot in the past year (some 5,000 images alone in 2018), so I'm expecting strong results next year as such images work their way up the rankings and they mature within their life cycles. Unlike MS, I think immediate sales on here right after uploads are rare (except for the Live News).  

See above post in regards to my opinion on MS duplication. 

13 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Yes, using StockSubmitter, which is a blessing. Half a dozen or a dozen is the same with this software. 

Generally, buyers don't shop around that much. I've looked extensively into the relationship between zooms here and subsequent sales there and saw almost no links (I'm well aware that not all zooms are recorded so I have to work with the data that is available). Others have looked at this and have come to the same conclusion. There are many many more complex factors involved than just simply pricing on whether a buyer purchases at one agency or another. 

In any case, a few months ago, I received some valuable insight from Alamy and published the following blog post:

www.brutallyhonestmicrostock.com/2018/02/06/do-alamy-buyers-search-elsewhere-answers-from-alamy/

Good read - thanks for sharing.

One heading that really stood out to me was about only being able to sit on the fence so long - which I am/have been doing.

I was going to wait til I had more of my catalog processed, but I need to start pushing things now.

I still don't know where I sit with exactly where I will be pushing stuff, and am currently applying to contribute some more "exclusive" agencies. Based ont he portfolio I have sent, 2 out of 4 have agreed to take me on, and no response yet from the other two.

I'm pretty sure I can' avoid MS, but sure I don't want to throw everything there.

24 minutes ago, BobD said:

I'm just coming up to 100 for 2018 as well and I'm only on Alamy. So you're quite a bit above average.

1 hour ago, chris_rabe said:

I still don't know where I sit with exactly where I will be pushing stuff, and am currently applying to contribute some more "exclusive" agencies. Based ont he portfolio I have sent, 2 out of 4 have agreed to take me on, and no response yet from the other two.

Early days for you with 300 images. If my 10k is a drop in the ocean, your 300 is a mere milliliter! 

Some nice shots in your port but seems like many of the travel angles have already been done to death...London, Barcelona. Also see you're shooting travel shots in heavy overcast skies and drizzly. Those, in my experience, are a waste of time...unless it's raining in Dubai, etc. 

Good news that Midstock agencies have decided to take you on. They must see potential in your work. 

6 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Early days for you with 300 images. If my 10k is a drop in the ocean, your 300 is a mere milliliter! 

Some nice shots in your port but seems like many of the travel angles have already been done to death...London, Barcelona. Also see you're shooting travel shots in heavy overcast skies and drizzly. Those, in my experience, are a waste of time...unless it's raining in Dubai, etc. 

Good news that Midstock agencies have decided to take you on. They must see potential in your work. 

Pretty much everything I had is from the last couple of years only - so haven't been all over the world in that time, so yes, locations fairly limited. Also, a lot of the travel photos are taken for myself - just happen to list it here. I get what you mean about overcast and drizzly, but it's not like they took up that much of my time :)

The portfolio I speak of is NOT my Alamy portfolio - so much on here is just "What the hell?" kind of stuff :D

But those mid-stock.... Really want their exclusivity! Well, the one in particular. 

Three year contracts sound terrifying - I have much reading to do :)

2 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

I think my relatively poor results have to do with my extremely low CTR caused by bad keywording in my early days. I also had quite a few similars which didn't do me any favours.

I've cleaned up my act on the above and results have improved, both in CTR and $ earned. My port has grown a lot in the past year (some 5,000 images alone in 2018), so I'm expecting strong results next year as such images work their way up the rankings and they mature within their life cycles. Unlike MS, I think immediate sales on here right after uploads are rare (except for the Live News).  

See above post in regards to my opinion on MS duplication. 

I know it can be hard to get back up in terms of rank if you sunk too low, but there is always the option to start a-fresh with a median ranking by starting up a new pseudo. There are also different theories about the pros and cons of using several pseudos.

Also, if I remember correctly - "stacking of similars" have been on the cards/mentioned previously, which I think is a great idea giving the buyer more options without the downside of clogging up the search or being detrimental to your Alamy Rank.

Noteworthy perhaps is that I do find Alamy to be the best out of the one's that I contributed to in terms of least time from upload to sales i.e. very little need for maturing or settle within the search, which is of course a big motivator. Also generally see what I perceive as a well balance mix of sales when it comes to the age of the images i.e. both old and new images sell, as well as everything in between. And when I'm on it, also "THE place" with the best correlation between more uploads = more sales, which of course is another big motivator.

All IMHO of course.

@alamy

1. Are you going to implement any image exclusivity scheme whereby you give those that put great faith in you and your selling abilities a nice boost a la 65% and reduce the royalty for the unfaithful ones to something like 20-30% on par with other outlet's norm? 

2. Curation - any initiatives to "clean up" the main collection, perhaps break it up in a logical manner, perhaps deep archive a large chunk of it, still available for those buyers that really want to go super deep. Also perhaps in combination with exclusivity, push Alamy exclusive images, both in the search and in marketing?

3. Adding any subscription plans to the range of available ways of licensing our beautiful imagery, as it seems to be popular elsewhere?

4. Tiered pricing with contributor influence, perhaps in combination with a rock bottom absolute minimum pricing floor (which we very much would like you to stay well above)? Could also work as collections and simplify things for your esteemed buyers, something a la Premium, Main and Budget/Value collections - spanning all sizes of wallets without leaving too much money on the table from those with deep pockets and preventing those with lesser needs and lighter wallets from getting an Alamy image. Also importantly, without upsetting us, your committed, very deserving contributors? At some point we'd like you to say no and pass on a sale if not being paid adequately, we have standards, even though we're poor.

5. If committing images exclusively, put more efforts into going after infringements, the generally feeling now, if I'm "feeling it correctly", is that too little is done, giving up too easily. Willing to part with % to really get to grips with this type of abuse, which also generally devalues our work. Personal current feeling is that it is more or less pointless even pursuing - we can't have it like that, help us.

That's it for now, don't feel overwhelmed and don't underestimate how much I/we'd like you to succeed - proper team player, set us all up for a chance of winning and we'll bring it home.

Archived