Commission change - James West comments

4 minutes ago, Gordon Scammell said:

If there is a new exclusivity 'deal' will be applied to live news images?  If so, it's another reason why exclusivity is a bad choice.

Actually live news hasn't been mentioned at all by Alamy, AFAIK

29 minutes ago, Gordon Scammell said:

If there is a new exclusivity 'deal' will be applied to live news images?  If so, it's another reason why exclusivity is a bad choice.

The new rates will likely be put in the Alamy Commission Table in the contract. Currently there is no entry for live news; those are in with sales made through alamy.com (aka 'direct sales'). A new row would be needed for non-exclusive news images licensed through alamy.com to stay at 50%, I think.

9 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Alamy is far less global in their reach than some reckon

I thought the internet was global, correct me if I'm wrong.

Your comparison makes no sense at all we are not selling actual cakes but internet downloads.

13 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

That may be the case for some but not for all. Alamy is far less global in their reach than some reckon.

Imagine I am a baker here in Amsterdam. I make the lekkerste (tastiest) gevulde koek in all town. I sell some of my gevulde koek through West's Corner shop in Oxford. It would be folly only to supply my gevulde koek exclusively to them as I have a market on my doorstep which West's corner shop doesn't cover. If I did supply West's Corner shop exclusively then Bakkerij Ries would have been out of business a long time ago. West's Corner shop would survive the hiccup, they dont sell that many gevulde koek anyway

Now I am faced with a yet another cut in the my slice of the income from the sales of the gevulde koek unless I am "loyal." Whilst at the same time the "loyalty" in the opposite direction is extremely limited. We are constantly aware that they can always swap Bakkerij Ries for Bakkerij Stanley or Bakkerij Andre.

Imagine I decide not to be disloyal and give West's Corner shop the benefit of the doubt and against better judgement I give them exclusivity over my gevulde koek so they can expand to Buckinghamshire. A year later my sales are still have not increased so I contact Mr West of West's corner shop to ask what has happened... tsja, he replies, yeah, market conditions, Brexit, exchange rate, oh and we rearranged the shelves. You rearranged the shelves? Yeah, gevulde koek wasn;t selling so well so we put at the back... near the rat poison. 

I would be left as the Dutch say, with a mouth full of teeth... and not because I was trying to have my koek and eat it.

But would you be better off or feel better if Bobs Buns, who does supply Wests corner shop exclusively, got the same deal as yourself. :)

Just received this email from Alamy.

We're making some more changes

s.gif

We recently sent an email regarding a change in the commission structure at Alamy where the commission contributors receive for direct sales will change from 50% to 40% in February 2019.

After careful review, and taking into consideration photographer feedback, we have come to the decision that images exclusive to Alamy will remain at 50%.

Our CEO James West has explained the exclusivity commission in further detail in a video which you can view, and leave comments on below.

View the video

Allan

s.gif

2 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Just received this email from Alamy.

We're making some more changes

s.gif

We recently sent an email regarding a change in the commission structure at Alamy where the commission contributors receive for direct sales will change from 50% to 40% in February 2019.

After careful review, and taking into consideration photographer feedback, we have come to the decision that images exclusive to Alamy will remain at 50%.

Our CEO James West has explained the exclusivity commission in further detail in a video which you can view, and leave comments on below.

View the video

Allan

s.gif

Thanks for posting this info.

• Alamy locked and unpinned this topic

Archived