Full-frame replacement

Alex,

I would suggest a refurbish D800,  They can be had for

less than $800 and for me they work perfectly.  There are

times when the e or the 850 would produce a better RAW

file, but not many are willing to pay to extra fee for the file.

Chuck

On 12/24/2018 at 13:40, Chuck Nacke said:

Alex,

I would suggest a refurbish D800,  They can be had for

less than $800 and for me they work perfectly.  There are

times when the e or the 850 would produce a better RAW

file, but not many are willing to pay to extra fee for the file.

Chuck

Hi Chuck - hope you had a good Christmas! I'm looking at a very clean refurb D800E with 25000 actuations, at a reasonable price. The number of actuations seems relatively low for a professionally-used camera. What do you think?

Alex

On 12/27/2018 at 17:46, Alex Ramsay said:

Hi Chuck - hope you had a good Christmas! I'm looking at a very clean refurb D800E with 25000 actuations, at a reasonable price. The number of actuations seems relatively low for a professionally-used camera. What do you think?

Alex

Don't get hung up on clicks, it's like the mileage in a car - means nothing. 

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

It does when you have a camera go phut at 35000 as I did. Not a Nikon.

I bought its replacement at 450 and wouldn't buy second-hand without a shutter count again.

On 27/12/2018 at 17:46, Alex Ramsay said:

Alex

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

It does when you have a camera go phut at 35000 as I did. Not a Nikon.

I bought its replacement at 450 and wouldn't buy second-hand without a shutter count again.

Clearly shutter count is not meaningless as it is an indication of how much the camera has been used. However, a low shutter count does not necessarily mean a camera that is in good condition - it could have been dropped or been misused (e.g. cleaning the sensor in an inappropriate manner or using unsuitable materials). My main question here would be why has it been refurbed and by whom? The low shutter count in itself is not particularly suspicious but a lot more info would be required to make a sensible judgement. I somehow doubt that Chuck has developed psychic powers although you never know - perhaps a side effect of all those martinis.

:D

One of the many D700's I've owned had a shutter which failed at 45,000 clicks, well short of its 150,000 life expectancy.  On the other hand I had a D90 which had nearly 200,000 clicks on it and was still going strong when I sold it.  I agree the number of clicks gives an idea as to the condition of a camera, but as long as the shutter works...

Archived