Jump to content

Recommended Posts

hello

it takes more than 42 keywords to get the good discoverabiliy! this is really important because it is sometimes very difficult on some images ?? is the title more important ?? thanks for sharing your experience

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not important. It can be positively harmful to have irrelevant or marginal tags.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget discoverability. Adding keywords just to get you bar green will clobber your CTR. Just keyword with the W's (who what why where when) and any other directly relevant keywords (such as ages and ethnicity of people). if you stuff with keywords you will get more views, but if those keywords are not relevant then you will get fewer zooms, so your ratio of clicks to views will plummet, and your ranking with it. Some of my my images have lots of keywords (such as photos of my kids where I have "six yr old", "six year old", "six yrs old"...) others have just a few. The caption is of primary importance and should completely describe the image, remembering that this is not an arty site like flickr or 500px, so cute or humourous caption will get you nowhere. Look at the regular contributors here and have a look at how they do their captions and keywords. 

Edited by Colin Woods
changed text a bit
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly what has been said above.

For confirmation, look at the official Alamy tutorial video, and see how few keywords they use:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's really very hard to understand.
Suppose a customer is looking for a house in the snow. 
And there are (e.g.) 100 pictures with a house in the snow.
All 100 pictures have the same keywords "house, snow, white, cold and winter", none others.
If the customer now zooms 3 of the 100 images and 97 doesn't, then the 3 images were more interesting than the other 97.

But it wouldn't make sense to change the keywords. 
Really very difficult to understand, especially because alamy also confuses the contributor with the color bar.

 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

thank you for all these very interesting answers. I will perhaps try to put only keywords that have a direct relationship with the image even if there will be fewer. And forget that damn green bar!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spiegel said:

That's really very hard to understand.
Suppose a customer is looking for a house in the snow. 
And there are (e.g.) 100 pictures with a house in the snow.
All 100 pictures have the same keywords "house, snow, white, cold and winter", none others.
If the customer now zooms 3 of the 100 images and 97 doesn't, then the 3 images were more interesting than the other 97.

But it wouldn't make sense to change the keywords. 
Really very difficult to understand, especially because alamy also confuses the contributor with the color bar.

 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Worse still, if (hypothetically*) a lot of pics have wrong keywords like 'house' and 'snow' when there isn't a house and/or there isn't snow, then only a fraction of the pics on e.g. the first page are relevant, and if only one page is looked at (which happens), the buyer sees a limited choice, and some more relevant pics don't get seen.

*That may not be at all relevant for house and snow, but I've seen several searches where over half of the top 100 are not relevant for a search, and others which are relevant aren't on the first page, and with the diversity algorithm, many relevant pics may be right at the end of a search and never seen. Depending on the algorithm at the time, 'relevant' can return much better results than the default 'creative' sort, but not always.

Curiously, the default creative sort for African Wild Dog is surprisingly clean on the front page, only one hyaena on a quick shuftie, - but with the abovementioned diversity algorithm, one person has three peacocks and a parrot on that search front page! Presumably a super-high Rank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Worse still, if (hypothetically*) a lot of pics have wrong keywords like 'house' and 'snow' when there isn't a house and/or there isn't snow, then only a fraction of the pics on e.g. the first page are relevant, and if only one page is looked at (which happens), the buyer sees a limited choice, and some more relevant pics don't get seen.

*That may not be at all relevant for house and snow, but I've seen several searches where over half of the top 100 are not relevant for a search, and others which are relevant aren't on the first page, and with the diversity algorithm, many relevant pics may be right at the end of a search and never seen. Depending on the algorithm at the time, 'relevant' can return much better results than the default 'creative' sort, but not always.

Curiously, the default creative sort for African Wild Dog is surprisingly clean on the front page, only one hyaena on a quick shuftie, - but with the abovementioned diversity algorithm, one person has three peacocks and a parrot on that search front page! Presumably a super-high Rank.

I run into that problem with several of my photographs - they are taken at a local white horse, and of course, have no relevance to actual living breathing horses, but are keyworded accurately.  I also have some film prop replica model things - which have appeared in searches of films.  Again they are keyworded accurately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

I run into that problem with several of my photographs - they are taken at a local white horse, and of course, have no relevance to actual living breathing horses, but are keyworded accurately.  I also have some film prop replica model things - which have appeared in searches of films.  Again they are keyworded accurately.

Yes, that's a real issue which we can't, at present, do anything about (like the search returning combos of any keyword or word in the caption with any other keyword or text in caption, often above the real keyword phrase (maybe because of the diversity algorithm spreading out instances of the real keyword phrase); but in this case, I was thinking more about careless or deliberate miskeywording.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.