21 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

I've had problems with firefox so switched to chrome for now

Thanks for the tip. Just switched to Chrome and everything works fine. Hopefully the problems with Firefox will get fixed eventually.

2 hours ago, Jansos said:

All working for me now. Great idea! Much needed addition - https://bit.ly/2BqPZWA

Hey Jansos, I always thought I could easily use your forum avatar for myself.  But your port picture doesn't look like me at all!

Also strange:  if  I have my port open:

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/reimar

and then click your link, I get your images, but my header image and avatar.

A few bugs yet.

1 hour ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

I've had problems with firefox so switched to chrome for now

Ah, I was wondering.

On FF, everything is greyed out, I can't do anything at all!

1 hour ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Ive already tweeted my portfolio to hundreds of people!!! Can only be a good thing unless you don't understand how powerful this can be

Not a twitter fan myself, but the awesome power of tweeting is undeniable. Just ask certain politicians. I wonder how many legitimate photo-buyers actually use social media to research images, though.

I was thinking more in terms of a separate "portfolios search" function for buyers. For example, a researcher looking for images of Timbuktu could enter "timbuktu" into a dedicated search box somewhere on the Alamy homepage, and a list of contributors' portfolios containing relevant images would then show up.

8 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Coincidently whilst you were typing that I was watching a documentary on buying likes, comments and influence on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/tv/BqcnFY8gEgH/

Some of it is in Dutch, but large parts are in English. One comment in Dutch was that one of the worlds largest companies in toiletries cancelled its budget on one social media company because they couldn;t be sure of its effectiveness.

That said I do notice a peak on my own website when I share an image link on Twitter, and I have all of 8 followers. Not that it has lead to sales increase of any form. I use it more as a source of knowledge which could seep through to my work.

Interesting comments. What do you think of the portfolios search box idea?

11 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Hmmm... a bit ambivalent. Sorry. I am not sure if customers are too bothered about who makes the image. I rarely get many searches on my name if there is there is the chance that it has a negative influence on CTR, although the influence of that on rank is often open to conjecture. There is the option to filter search results by contributor anyway.

I must admit I probably wont be making much use of this new feature. I'd rather buyers come to my site where I have more control over prices.

I was thinking of a function that searched contributors' portfolios by subject/location rather than by photographers names. I agree, most buyers aren't concerned about who took the images.

As it stands, I'm not much of social media fan, so I'm not sure how useful this new feature will be for me. I am going to put a portfolio together, though. I guess it can't hurt.

Alamy, we definitely need either a select all, or a shift select to quickly grab a group of images. thanks.

• Upvote 5

I'll vote for a "Select All" feature in Curate Gallery. I have almost 18k images so most search terms will give me at least a page of images. In fact my first play was with the keyword "mountains" and I have over 900. Too many to click one by one. Its a great feature though. 

• Upvote 1

I love this! I'm having fun curating galleries and it will be nice to be able to send or post a selection of curated images, rather than the way it was previously. Thanks Alamy!

2 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

I'll vote for a "Select All" feature in Curate Gallery. I have almost 18k images so most search terms will give me at least a page of images. In fact my first play was with the keyword "mountains" and I have over 900. Too many to click one by one. Its a great feature though. 

I was thinking that 50-100 representative images per gallery would be sufficient for a portfolio. No?

BTW, how do you think you''ll use your portfolio (if you don't mind my asking)?

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/amycicconi

I really like this capability! However, some feedback/questions:

• As noted by others - a select all when curating galleries is really needed.  Much easier to go through and then deselect the few that aren't to be included.
  • There seems to be no way to control the order that the tabs display?  For example, I created a tab that I want to be the first tab after all images, but I have no way to order the tabs.
  • I created a custom order for my all images page because I assume it will load first when someone visits and I want my best images there -  but I'm unclear - once I upload new images, is my order going to be lost?  Will the new images I upload appear at the top of the All Images category?  There's a "Move to Top" but no ability to "move down" or "move to bottom".
  • How do I customize my portfolio URL to contain my name?

Thanks

Edited by amycicconi
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, amycicconi said:

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/649523.html

• As noted by others - a select all when curating galleries is really needed.  Much easier to go through and then deselect the few that aren't to be included.
  • There seems to be no way to control the order that the tabs display?  For example, I created a tab that I want to be the first tab after all images, but I have no way to order the tabs.
  • I created a custom order for my all images page because I assume it will load first when someone visits and I want my best images there -  but I'm unclear - once I upload new images, is my order going to be lost?  Will the new images I upload appear at the top of the All Images category?  There's a "Move to Top" but no ability to "move down" or "move to bottom".

Thanks

I cant help with the first 3 - but the customize portfolio URL  stumped me for a bit as well.  If you click on the "share" button the option to customize the URL comes up in there - but you only get to customize once, once you have chosen a URL that is it forever so make sure your spelling is right lol

The main problem with the portfolio as it is, is the low quality of the header image. A large pixelated image is probably not the first thing you want to present your photos with. Not only is the portfolio header a great deal smaller (1292 × 317 px) than the image at the top on alamy.com (1920 × 650 px), it also appears to be more compressed. Whereas the current image on alamy.com (small brown cakes on a table) is 282 kb, this, for instance, has been reduced to 10 kb:

YxLAgME.jpg

And this to 79 kb:

OySpi2O.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

The main problem with the portfolio as it is, is the low quality of the header image. A large pixelated image is probably not the first thing you want to present your photos with. Not only is the portfolio header a great deal smaller (1292 × 317 px) than the image at the top on alamy.com (1920 × 650 px), it also appears to be more compressed. Whereas the current image on alamy.com (small brown cakes on a table) is 282 kb, this, for instance, has been reduced to 10 kb:

YxLAgME.jpg

And this to 79 kb:

OySpi2O.jpg

I agree - I have just run through some images for the header and some of my macros look appalling there - almost to the point of "should I be deleting these" but I know they are not that low quality.
I also find it annoying we cannot move the picture chosen up or down as I have a couple that would look great if I could show the top band - but the middle band is a chicken with its head cut off.

17 hours ago, Alamy said:

We'll certainly look at that as an option for a future update, thanks.

'Smart' galleries would be a good improvement - ie galleries that you can set to automatically add images if they match certain keyword combinations.....that way they would update in real time as you uplaod the images to Alamy rather than having to manually add them

km

Edited by RedSnapper
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

I also find it annoying we cannot move the picture chosen up or down as I have a couple that would look great if I could show the top band - but the middle band is a chicken with its head cut off.

You can actually adjust the vertical position by dragging the image.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, amycicconi said:

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/649523.html

Thanks

In reply to your 3rd point, I also created a custom order for my first page yesterday, as well as keywording/captioning some new photos. The first page has remained in the correct order that I set up, and the new images have appeared at the top of page 2, so this seems to work well.

16 minutes ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

You can actually adjust the vertical position by dragging the image.

Ah right thank you - I did not realize, I will go have another play

16 hours ago, ManWay said:

This is a nonsense! Nothing more than a titillation for the masses of rare contributors to Alamy. It is also IMO a device to cover up dwindling fees and say "look what we're doing for our contributors". 

There's no call to run down your own agency on its own forum. And really no need to SHOUT.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

Gallery names... 

There's limited space on the gallery tab for the gallery name.

Although the full name shows in the ALT-TEXT when we hover over the tab, it would be good if we had some options here.

Being able to abbreviate the name using apostrophes would be good.

Being able to specify an ALT-TEXT that was different from the text displayed in the tab might be useful.

Being able to vary the font size used on the gallery tab might be useful.

• Upvote 1

Although this seems like a nice feature, I am wondering how best it would be to use it to our benefit.

I really don’t know if most customers would take the time to browse through someone’s gallery in order to purchase more images from the same artist. I would think that the vast majority would just use the given search feature and browse the images that come up  in the results and spend a few minutes to find whatever images may suit their needs and then just purchase it then and there, for expedience sake.

For guys like myself, with virtually no social networking presence, I don’t know how I would be able to turn this to my advantage. I don’t twitter, and am rarely on Facebook. Even if I were to post the links to say my FB page, all it would do would garner a few ‘likes from friends who would have zero intent on buying.

just wondering how any of you plan to use this feature, and think it would be worth the time investment to spend on social media to promote it?  That is if you care to give feedback to your fellow competitors 😄

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, ManWay said:

This is a nonsense! Nothing more than a titillation for the masses of rare contributors to Alamy. It is also IMO a device to cover up dwindling fees and say "look what we're doing for our contributors". 

Wow

thats a little harsh.

I honestly think Alamy is still one of the fairest Angencys left to deal with. I just wish I had more frequent sales, but otherwise I find no gripes with them. They usually are very good to answer questions/queries and still have a fair 50/50 split of revenues. I don’t like the breakdown percentage for distribution sales, but otherwise pretty fair agency IMO

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I cant help with the first 3 - but the customize portfolio URL  stumped me for a bit as well.  If you click on the "share" button the option to customize the URL comes up in there - but you only get to customize once, once you have chosen a URL that is it forever so make sure your spelling is right lol

THank you!!

3 hours ago, VbFolly said:

In reply to your 3rd point, I also created a custom order for my first page yesterday, as well as keywording/captioning some new photos. The first page has remained in the correct order that I set up, and the new images have appeared at the top of page 2, so this seems to work well.

Great news!

Also, the web page title does not reflect the photographer's name but just generically says "Alamy Contributor Portfolio".  It would be nice if it said "Alamy - [Photographer Name] Portfolio" where photographer name = the name we designated for our portfolio page.

Also, this is a very nice feature, but since it still has the main Alamy nav header and Alamy search box, and thus is not 100% appealing for us to share if we are trying to promote sales of our own photos, because the visitor can navigate or search away to other photographers.

I understand that might not be Alamy's intent, and they, of course, are more interested in Alamy on the whole.  Perhaps allow for a "version" of the page that could be used by the photographer that isolated only to the photographer themselves and not all of Alamy.  

For photographers who focus ONLY on Alamy and stock sales, I could see myself possibly choosing to use this as my website rather than my own external website, pointing my domain here (if I really decided all that I cared about was selling on Alamy).  In that light I would LOVE it Alamy made the Art.com print process (or some BETTER Print on Demand process) more integrated, and allow the photographer an API or private portfolio, so that I could use Alamy as my single promotional site and only have to upload and keyword to one place.

One can dream?  :)

Edited by amycicconi