"Your Alamy portfolio page"

On 12/2/2018 at 08:31, Reimar said:

Having produced a few Galleries now, I'm having a re-think about this.

It was rather easy producing a new Gallery, selecting Curate, and searching for a subject (a travel destination) and selecting the images I want to show.

So out of 600 images, I would select about 200.  That's not too much clicking and produces a more curated collection.

After all, if someone wanted all 600 pictures I have of China, they could do a search using the personal link Alamy gave me for a website.

It makes sense for this portfolio to be a showcase of selected images, rather a comprehensive collection.

Now the question is: which should I select?  I've been going with a combination of images I like, with good composition/color/interest, perhaps more saleable...

But I'm not sure of the purpose or utility of this tool.

I ended up deleting all my galleries as they seemed redundant, plus I thought that galleries might even discourage visitors -- such as they might be -- from searching my entire collection. I started to put together a "portfolio" gallery of favourite images instead. However, the fact is that most of the images I like best seldom interest paying customers, so I've shelved that idea as well for the time being. Still, having a shareable page like this is probably a useful feature for contributors who have an obvious specialty and who know their way around social media.

Edited by John Mitchell

When I try to share my portfolio on Facebook it just gives a general boring banner headline for Alamy stock, no preview or thumbnail photos, nothing personalised.

Edited by Marb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Marb said:

When I try to share my portfolio on Facebook it just gives a general boring banner headline for Alamy stock, no preview or thumbnail photos, nothing personalised.

Yes, I noticed that. It's not very attractive for potential customers

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I have now made my portfolio invisible despite spending some considerable time on it a few days ago.

Allan

I didn't even bother with mine, I had an inkling the whole portfolio thing was some sort of distraction/way to make us feel valued...

• Like 3

In light of the commission cut,   Alamy's disregard for contributor's time to curate image galleries, the lack of leveraging AIM functionality for image search and selection,  and lack of understanding on how Alamy's investment and intentions translate in increased Alamy image sales v alternatives....I will also turn off visibility and not burn anymore cycles on this.  Looked interesting at first but quickly recognized another a less than half-baked solution.

Edited by Scott
  • Like 3

It's an embarrassment. On a desktop monitor, the (low quality/overstretched) cover picture and the headings are FAR too big, shoving the content way down screen - and, along with it, the Search box for your images. Oh but, the general Alamy search box is right there at the top. Sorry I know that's good for everyone else but is precisely what I do NOT want, obviously, if I am trying to link to my pictures, and is confusing as anything for customers. On a mobile screen all this is true but is even worse. There seems to be no thought about optimising the cover picture, so only a random fragment of it appears. Awful. 

• Like 2

On 12/6/2018 at 03:38, Scott said:

In light of the commission cut,   Alamy's disregard for contributor's time to curate image galleries, the lack of leveraging AIM functionality for image search and selection,  and lack of understanding on how Alamy's investment and intentions translate in increased Alamy image sales v alternatives....I will also turn off visibility and not burn anymore cycles on this.  Looked interesting at first but quickly recognized another a less than half-baked solution.

I have also turned mine off. For much the same reasons.

Edited by Niels Quist
  • Like 1

I looked at this new portfolio feature just to see what it was all about, but disabled it because I prefer to send prospective buyers to my own site, where I retain most (85 - 95%) of higher licensing fees (which I control).  The planned Alamy royalty rate reduction further reinforces this strategy ...

Edited by CHP

On 12/7/2018 at 17:31, spacecadet said:

It's adjustable, within limits.

On a mobile screen? On my phone it displays just the middle of the image, instead of re-rendering the whole scene (which is what I mean by optimising). 

So I went to share the portfolio on my facebook as suggested by Alamy .. problem for me is that when I share, I don't see my name as the contributor on the post .. just Alamy's. I thought this feature was to highlight one's own work on Alamy ( a win-win for both) but it seems to just highlight Alamy through the contributor's social media. Although there could also be something wrong with facebook sharing and that's why my name doesn't show up .. but I don't think so. Anyone else notice this? Seems similar on Twitter too.

On 12/10/2018 at 15:43, mickfly said:

I started to mess with this, but yes, another clunky unworkable mess made by a member of staffs 9 yr old nephew, like the POS AIM interface I'll bet!

Looks like someone's aunt or uncle gave me a red arrow. :)

• 5 months later...

Feature request: ability to exclude pseudonymous photos. 

I use my name for most of my photos on Alamy, but also use a pseudonym. On portfolio pages, all photos show...kind of defeats the purpose of pseudonyms in my view. I contacted support, they confirmed there's currently no way to do exclude pseudonym photos.

• 4 weeks later...