It seems to me that a lot of picture researchers don't bother to zoom any more (specially mundane things like shops), an example:

Search term 'Pandora Jewellery' looked at the first 100 images on the 13th Nov no zoom

Image licensed today 16th Nov

I'm not particularly bothered but it is nice to see a zoom once in a while as It gives you that confidence boost that someone has shown an interest in your image

Have Alamy adjusted for this trend of not zooming and is taken into account in our ranking or has this always been the case.

Many of us noticed a reduction in "proper zooms" when Alamy introduced the larger thumbnails and rollover zooms a few years ago. - Presumably as buyers didn't need proper zooms  quite so much

I am sure that since this affects everyone equally it should not impinge on our ranking

I do notice that  many sales do not seem to relate to actual zooms. However I still find that my overall number of sales does still relate to my overall number of zooms, so if my zoom numbers go down, my sale numbers follow a couple of months later

Kumar

I agree with Kumar that the introduction of large thumbnails and rollovers reduces the need for zooms. The strange thing is, though, that Alamy's overall average CTR has remained little changed for years - if anything it is at the upper end of it's typical range at the moment at 0.58. This suggests that customers are still merrily zooming as as much as they once were. Maybe it is that busy photo editors who actually buy the stuff don't bother to zoom every time, but the casual browser might do so more often?

I'm not as convinced though about the ratio of zooms to sales. My zooms have dropped a little in the last six months but sales have absolutely tanked (down from 1 sale every 4 zooms to 1 every 8 zooms).

The vast majority of my sales have never been zoomed, a factor I guess is that most of my images are live news that haven't been on the system for long?

How can one buy an image without going through a zoom page?

wim

edit: with the exception of going via a lightbox, because from here zooms are seemingly not counted.

Edited by wiskerke

24 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

wim

edit: with the exception of going via a lightbox, because from here zooms are seemingly not counted.

Just had a quick look, all of my zoomed images sold for presentation use (maybe independent buyers?) all others I guess were sold as live news or placed in a lightbox 

For what its worth I still have not had a single zoom - but I have had one sale.

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

wim

There is also a little 'add to cart' icon under each thumbnail which places the purchase in the customer's cart without ever going to the zoom page. Can't say I'd ever want to use such a simplistic method of purchasing myself without seeing details of what I'm buying, but hey-ho. Maybe I'm part of a shrinking minority. I still buy from a bricks and mortar store when I can and shun the mighty amazonian online shop. 

13 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

There is also a little 'add to cart' icon under each thumbnail which places the purchase in the customer's cart without ever going to the zoom page. Can't say I'd ever want to use such a simplistic method of purchasing myself without seeing details of what I'm buying, but hey-ho. Maybe I'm part of a shrinking minority. I still buy from a bricks and mortar store when I can and shun the mighty amazonian online shop. 

Thank you! Yes I forgot about those. I have placed some in my own cart by mistake quite a few times.

wim

3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

wim

Also, could the customer write down the image ref, and then zoom that image at a later date using a search by image ref in order to buy it? It seems zooms from searches by image ref don't seem to be reported any more, or have I just been unlucky?

Also, if if the image is zoomed in order to buy it, but the customer isn't on Alamy's "approved customer" list, the zoom won't get logged.

Mark

4 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

The vast majority of my sales have never been zoomed, a factor I guess is that most of my images are live news that haven't been on the system for long?

Live News images are sent out pro-actively to the news desks...they're not searched for  in the sense that regular stock images are ....so it's almost certainly the case that a news sale (and any subsequent re-use / re-licencing of LiveNews images  that are now in the newspapers internal systems)  will not have been zoomed....

km

8 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Conversely, a number of my sales are of images which have been recently zoomed, but 'measures' hasn't linked the two. AoA shows no other sales either. Coincidence that two customers were searching the subject at the same time, or one customer has multiple accounts and zoomed and purchased under different names? Who knows, and another reason why it's not worth getting too tied up trying to fathom mathematical equations.

5 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

Live News images are sent out pro-actively to the news desks...they're not searched for  in the sense that regular stock images are ....so it's almost certainly the case that a news sale (and any subsequent re-use / re-licencing of LiveNews images  that are now in the newspapers internal systems)  will not have been zoomed....

km

I knew they wouldn’t be searched but I hadn’t thought about the images being on there systems already, would you take the best live news images then and resubmit as stock?