6 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Maybe the important message from these lists is just how specific and localised image requests can be.

Probably the best reaction is to ignore the actual list and make one of your own locality -  every church, pub, listed building, public artwork, independent shop, tourist attraction, point of interest, geographical feature, local food and craft speciality, leisure activity, restaurant, hotel, museum, recycling centre, historic site etc etc. 

6 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Not a bad idea. I find myself taking some of the most mundane shots as a result of this kind of thinking!

Four of my five sales this month so far all fit into this category:

senior-couple-enter-wokingham-railway-stthe-huntley-and-palmer-building-reading-bridge-over-the-river-thames-in-sonning-ikea-store-entrance-reading-berkshire-en

The other was a local event:

saturday-may-12th-2018-high-wycombe-buck

3 hours ago, Alamy said:

The current beta version don’t have a mechanism to report spelling mistakes, but if you let us know by emailing contributors@alamy.com, they’ll be able to correct any mistakes you’ve spotted.

Many thanks

Alamy

Thanks, I see that the "Coyocan" error that I mentioned has already been corrected.

It would be helpful if the country was listed on all of the travel related requests, so it could be easily searchable.          I was looking for requests for Canadian locales and had to go through the whole list because some of them just named the city, or the province, or the particular travel attraction.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, MariaJ said:

It would be helpful if the country was listed on all of the travel related requests, so it could be easily searchable.          I was looking for requests for Canadian locales and had to go through the whole list because some of them just named the city, or the province, or the particular travel attraction.

It's difficult, as the list is made up by computer from actual searches, and lots of city names exist in many locations. (e.g. there are 22 Glasgows listed in Wikipedia).

E.g. one search was "Chalmers Memorial Church" (no more info) which is only a few miles from my Mum's house, but then my brain ticked over ... and yes, there was a news story about a totally different Chalmers Memorial Church in the news in March 2017, revived this May.

Likewise "Nazareth House Kilmarnock" (now closed) was the subject of a historic news story in May of this year.

So I think GeogPhoto's advice to shoot locally, or where you happen to be and not travel far specially to cover subjects may well be sound. These 'non-Live' news photos would probably be UKNS, so wouldn't cover any expenses to go and shoot, and you could shoot the wrong thing (though of course, who knows when the 'wrong thing' will be the 'next thing' looked for?) Uncovered subjects may only be wanted once, bought from somewhere else and never wanted again.

Edited by Cryptoprocta

2 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

......bought from somewhere else and never wanted again.

Alamy just want the holes plugged so that doesn't happen again. Like you say, there's no point contributors putting much time and effort into chasing after ships that have already sailed.

3 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Selected travel+editorial as my two filters.

Then from 300+ results, searched "Florida" to find three items.

One is "St Petersburg, Florida City Scapes aerial and skyline imagery"

but searches returned 

400+ skyline

300+ cityscape

200+ aerial

What part of this shortage scheme am I not understanding...???

Did someone search that specific phrase & get 0 hits...?

(scapes is a word?  must be Britglish-UKglish)

St Petersburg, Florida City Scapes aerial and skyline imagery = 0 images.

Which is what counts obviously.

Google Images however does understand a search like that and returns a page of results with in my case 9 Alamy images on row 1 to 3. (Interspersed with 5 by S*S and 1 by Dr*time.)

So if the client using this kind of stupid key-phrase finally turns to Google after not finding anything at the other outlets, he/she will get there (here) in the end.

Hold on let's check that for a moment with the exact 1) same phrase:

S*S* - 0

Dr*time - 0

iS* - 20  (some from Russia not Florida)

St*Ado* - 0 = Fo*lia - 0

123* - 2389 from all over the world, but with some good ones on the first rows.

Dep* - 911,012  from all over the world,  but with 5 out of 100 actually from St Pete FL somewhere on the first page.

Can* - 0

Pixa* - 0

Unsplash - 15,030 free images from all over the place but none from Florida on the first pages.

Big G* - 1

1) - I did try both St Petersburg, Florida City Scapes aerial and skyline imagery and St Petersburg, Florida CityScapes aerial and skyline imagery because that was what Google Images suggested.

wim

2 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

It's difficult, as the list is made up by computer from actual searches, and lots of city names exist in many locations. (e.g. there are 22 Glasgows listed in Wikipedia).

E.g. one search was "Chalmers Memorial Church" (no more info) which is only a few miles from my Mum's house, but then my brain ticked over ... and yes, there was a news story about a totally different Chalmers Memorial Church in the news in March 2017, revived this May.

Likewise "Nazareth House Kilmarnock" (now closed) was the subject of a historic news story in May of this year.

So I think GeogPhoto's advice to shoot locally, or where you happen to be and not travel far specially to cover subjects may well be sound. These 'non-Live' news photos would probably be UKNS, so wouldn't cover any expenses to go and shoot, and you could shoot the wrong thing (though of course, who knows when the 'wrong thing' will be the 'next thing' looked for?) Uncovered subjects may only be wanted once, bought from somewhere else and never wanted again.

If the list is computer generated, then fair enough, the country may not appear in the search.    I don't know how difficult it would be to manually add the country afterwards, but it would probably help get those photo needs met.

Maria

I noticed, when looking at the photo needs list, that there were several that stated "images of...".   I don't usually put those words into my keywords.   I went over to AofA and saw that there had been other searches with "images of" in the search words.    

Just curious, do others commonly add these to their keywords?

Maria

31 minutes ago, MariaJ said:

If the list is computer generated, then fair enough, the country may not appear in the search.    I don't know how difficult it would be to manually add the country afterwards, but it would probably help get those photo needs met.

Maria

But if someone only searched on e.g. 'Glasgow', how would anyone know for sure which Glasgow they wanted? (Glasgow is a bad example, as loads of files would come up, but it might be something else for which none of the multiple meanings have files, how could they know. Like "Chalmers Memorial Church". I'm pretty certain they were looking for the one which was in the news, not the one which is near my Mum's, but only 99.9% certain!

Maybe anyway the person who searched and found nothing then searched in a different way, and found what they wanted. When I was checking one publication for Alamy images, I was astonished how often I couldn't find the image using what I thought were the relevant keywords, so people must keyword in very different ways! (And I'm not claiming my way is best!)

8 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

But if someone only searched on e.g. 'Glasgow', how would anyone know for sure which Glasgow they wanted? (Glasgow is a bad example, as loads of files would come up, but it might be something else for which none of the multiple meanings have files, how could they know. Like "Chalmers Memorial Church". I'm pretty certain they were looking for the one which was in the news, not the one which is near my Mum's, but only 99.9% certain!

Maybe anyway the person who searched and found nothing then searched in a different way, and found what they wanted. When I was checking one publication for Alamy images, I was astonished how often I couldn't find the image using what I thought were the relevant keywords, so people must keyword in very different ways! (And I'm not claiming my way is best!)

Yes.  There was a need for a picture of 'Granton beach'. Now the Granton I know doesn't have a beach.  It has a harbour and a jetty, but no beach, and I presume therefore it must refer to another Granton.  However I have no idea how you would know where it is.

51 minutes ago, Sally said:

Yes.  There was a need for a picture of 'Granton beach'. Now the Granton I know doesn't have a beach.  It has a harbour and a jetty, but no beach, and I presume therefore it must refer to another Granton.  However I have no idea how you would know where it is.

Postcard from an unidentified publisher  -  Granton Beach from the west.

Some of the requests may be a bit older, but surely not that old ;-)

In 2017 there seems to have been a cleanup of that "beach". So locals do think of it as a beach.

Some clients (or their interns) just throw wild guesses at the Alamy search box. Just hoping something sticks.

When researching stuff about Japan in AoA I found several searches about Chinese things that clients situated in Japan in their searches like forbidden cities.

wim

9 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Postcard from an unidentified publisher  -  Granton Beach from the west.

Some of the requests may be a bit older, but surely not that old ;-)

In 2017 there seems to have been a cleanup of that "beach". So locals do think of it as a beach.

Some clients (or their interns) just throw wild guesses at the Alamy search box. Just hoping something sticks.

When researching stuff about Japan in AoA I found several searches about Chinese things that clients situated in Japan in their searches like forbidden cities.

wim

Ok, I stand corrected. I live a short distance away but would never have thought of that strip of sand as a beach, which is mostly covered at high tide.

18 hours ago, losdemas said:

Four of my five sales this month so far all fit into this category:

senior-couple-enter-wokingham-railway-stthe-huntley-and-palmer-building-reading-bridge-over-the-river-thames-in-sonning-ikea-store-entrance-reading-berkshire-en

The other was a local event:

saturday-may-12th-2018-high-wycombe-buck

Yes, me too. A sale for this just dropped in today:

Front view of the Pandora jewelers store in Windsor, UK. - Stock Image

I'm also finding the the 'What to Shoot' tool quite educational. Whilst browsing through it, I saw that one of the needs was "Funeral Stripper".... I had to Google that.... who'd have even thought that such a thing existed!! :o

13 hours ago, wiskerke said:

St Petersburg, Florida City Scapes aerial and skyline imagery = 0 images.

Which is what counts obviously.

Google Images however does understand a search like that and returns a page of results with in my case 9 Alamy images on row 1 to 3. (Interspersed with 5 by S*S and 1 by Dr*time.)

So if the client using this kind of stupid key-phrase finally turns to Google after not finding anything at the other outlets, he/she will get there (here) in the end.

Hold on let's check that for a moment with the exact 1) same phrase:

S*S* - 0

Dr*time - 0

iS* - 20  (some from Russia not Florida)

St*Ado* - 0 = Fo*lia - 0

123* - 2389 from all over the world, but with some good ones on the first rows.

Dep* - 911,012  from all over the world,  but with 5 out of 100 actually from St Pete FL somewhere on the first page.

Can* - 0

Pixa* - 0

Unsplash - 15,030 free images from all over the place but none from Florida on the first pages.

Big G* - 1

1) - I did try both St Petersburg, Florida City Scapes aerial and skyline imagery and St Petersburg, Florida CityScapes aerial and skyline imagery because that was what Google Images suggested.

wim

Hi Everyone

It's great to see all of your feedback, we agree that a "date added" field would be useful, so we will consider this for future updates.

We would like to further clarify how the tool works as there seem to be some confusion around how we source the picture needs. Every single picture need has been verified by a person to make sure they are relevant. If there are images under the topic it means we need more and newer images of this topic because our customers have not been able to find what they were looking for. A good example of this is areal shots as our customers constantly ask for the latest take on the same shot to include new buildings and general changes to the landscape. 

Whilst some picture needs are taken from customer searches, lots of them are from direct customer feedback and they are not necessarily typed into the tool in the exact way they would have been searched for. This means you should not use tags as "Images of" etc.

Please email us if you have any further questions!

Thanks

Alamy

1 hour ago, Sally said:

Ok, I stand corrected. I live a short distance away but would never have thought of that strip of sand as a beach, which is mostly covered at high tide.

I have stayed 10 min (by bike) from here twice, but have never visited ;-)

Did go to the Brittania though.

wim

1 hour ago, funkyworm said:

Which makes one wonder in how much I am shooting myself in the foot by placing my own conceptions in the keywords rather thinking more in another persons shoes. 

Distance is one which comes to mind. Stand on Almere station and it is full of Oriental faces many of whom are heading to Giethoorn to take a selfie. Four hours on public transport is evidently not a problem, whilst in contrast I am annoyed with myself that I have to take a train an hour to Rotterdam later on for a match. In a similar vein I wouldn;t even think about putting Amsterdam in my keywording for Zandvoort, Muiderslot or Vinkeveen... that whilst there was recent talk of marketing the destinations as Amsterdam Beach, Amsterdam Castle and Amsterdam Lakes. 

Keukenhof = garden Amsterdam. Rotterdam = Amsterdam harbor? Oops. Ssshh!

;-)

wim

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2018 at 09:47, Alamy said:

The current beta version don’t have a mechanism to report spelling mistakes, but if you let us know by emailing contributors@alamy.com, they’ll be able to correct any mistakes you’ve spotted.

Many thanks

Alamy

I don't understand.  If you correct the spelling mistake on the list then you might find plenty of images for the given subject.  Maybe you should tell the client that they don't know the correct spelling?  If I provide the image for the subject on the list I will have to add the spelling error to my keywords as the same client who was looking for the incorrectly spelled image still won't find my image, no?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tarsierspectral said:

I don't understand.  If you correct the spelling mistake on the list then you might find plenty of images for the given subject.  Maybe you should tell the client that they don't know the correct spelling?  If I provide the image for the subject on the list I will have to add the spelling error to my keywords as the same client who was looking for the incorrectly spelled image still won't find my image, no?

Maybe the buyer realised they'd made a mistake, especially if it was just a typo, and re-searched.

Still, good to put common mis-spellings.

Edited by Cryptoprocta

55 minutes ago, tarsierspectral said:

If I provide the image for the subject on the list I will have to add the spelling error to my keywords as the same client who was looking for the incorrectly spelled image still won't find my image, no?

Logically that search has been and gone. You'd hope that Alamy still feel they need images of the correctly spelled subject otherwise it makes no sense.

44 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Maybe the buyer realised they'd made a mistake, especially if it was just a typo, and re-searched.

+1

I've made sales on the back of common misspellings. ;)

53 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

but then this should not be on the list of picture needs.  Seems like a computer generated list, has a human verified the list?

6 minutes ago, losdemas said:

+1

I've made sales on the back of common misspellings. ;)

Alamy emphasise NOT using misspellings eg dessert and desert

I suspect that most clients realise their mistake (I have seen it in daily search terms) and correct it when they don’t get as many images as they expect, or images of the wrong thing.

11 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Logically that search has been and gone. You'd hope that Alamy still feel they need images of the correctly spelled subject otherwise it makes no sense.

you would hope.  how many images is considered not enough?

Just now, Sally said:

I suspect that most clients realise their mistake (I have seen it in daily search terms) and correct it when they don’t get as many images as they expect, or images of the wrong thing.

Dessert and desert is a problem, but e.g misspellings of Tighnabruaich  aren't going to spoil other searches.

But then they're putting a few mis-spellings in their 'Wanted' list. <rolls eyes>

1 minute ago, Sally said:

I'm well aware of that and wouldn't 'spam' misspellings: as well as being the 'wrong' thing to do, it would also lead to my CTR going down as a result (so bad for both clients and me).  As you say, most clients will realise their mistake.  Some won't.