Jump to content

Recommended Posts

After I downloaded the csv, the website shows me all 3058 needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alamy said:

 

Hi losdemas

 

Thanks for the feedback, we will be fixing the CSV so it doesn't split the description column.

To clarify your second point, if you tick "I've covered this pic need" we will receive a notification and a link to your latest upload.

 

Many thanks

Alamy

 

Thanks for clarifying.  I would have to agree with Matt's point, though!

 

Also, as I have said, it isn't super clear what happens when you check this box.  You may find that some folk will be checking the box just to 'tick it off their list' - which would lead to a lot of unnecessary admin for you!  :o At the moment, it's like a big red button with a sign saying 'do not press this button' - or is this just me?! :D

Edited by losdemas
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Maybe add .csv

 

So that the file reads

picture.csv

in stead of just

picture

 

wim

 

Good point.  I didn't notice this, as I always download and virus scan everything first - even from super-safe Abingdon! ;):D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kay said:

thanks

:wacko: I've a bit of keyword checking to do then . . . ouch

That’s a real pain. I couldn’t possibly add an ‘a’ to all my keywords. Not only would it be a lot of work, I woukd quickly run out of tags.

 

it does make a difference though, but happily as long as you have an ‘a’ in the caption, images seem to be included, which is presumably why Alamy emphasise using proper sentences in captions.

 

I searched for ‘puffins on ledge’ and the top image was one of my own. I searched for ‘puffins on a ledge’ and that image didn’t appear, but other images did only because they had an ‘a’ in the caption. Checking captions are all right for this is tedious as well.

 

There are over 42,000 images for searching “holding a cup” but over 142,000 for “holding cup”, so it certainly makes a difference, and I presume that the two groups do not overlap unless there is an ‘a’ in the caption. I suppose one way to overcome this would simply be to add an ‘a’ to the tags for every image.

Edited by Sally
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Might this not also include adding new keywords to existing images? ... in which case a link to the latest upload wouldn't necessarily make sense...

 

Hopefully this is the case. My first instinct is to add the relevant keywords to old images rather than run out and shoot new ones.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sally said:

There are over 42,000 images for searching “holding a cup” but over 142,000 for “holding cup”, so it certainly makes a difference, and I presume that the two groups do not overlap unless there is an ‘a’ in the caption. I suppose one way to overcome this would simply be to add an ‘a’ to the tags for every image.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't.

If someone searched "holding a cup" in quotes, that exact phrase would need to be there. Not "a" as a separate tag.

 

From observation, only a very few buyers search for phrases in quotes; perhaps Alamy is intending to suggest this to them (?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't.

If someone searched "holding a cup" in quotes, that exact phrase would need to be there. Not "a" as a separate tag.

 

From observation, only a very few buyers search for phrases in quotes; perhaps Alamy is intending to suggest this to them (?)

Sorry I was only putting them in quotes to make the search term obvious in my text.  I didn't use quotes to search for these terms.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sally said:

Sorry I was only putting them in quotes to make the search term obvious in my text.  I didn't use quotes to search for these terms.

Wow, you're right, it's me who should be sorry.

I didn't check before I typed, but I didn't expect that the search would count 'a' when it doesn't count 'make', i.e. as I said before People Make Glasgow (not in quotes) has 18,406 hits, exactly the same as People Glasgow, and I can't believe every single one of the files with People and Glasgow also has Make somewhere in the caption or keywords.

("People Make Glasgow" returns 616 files)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will we be notified when the list is updated?

 

Phil

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like it - as I only shoot in one of the categories its makes life quite simple for me - I never realized just how many image request were in that category though! A weekly category new requests email is going to be fantastic.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Phil Crean said:

Will we be notified when the list is updated?

 

Phil

 

Yes, it would be helpful to know how often the list is updated.

 

Also, what about spelling mistakes in the requests. I came across an error in the spelling of a place name in one of the current travel requests. Is there a mechanism for reporting them?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Yes, it would be helpful to know how often the list is updated.

 

Also, what about spelling mistakes in the requests. I came across an error in the spelling of a place name in one of the current travel requests. Is there a mechanism for reporting them?

 

Would that help? We only see the searches the next day, or for all we know in the case of these requests maybe next year.

What could probably help is direct feedback, like when a search returns a lot less images than expected, a client could get a pop-up:

We're seeing you're having trouble finding the image that you want.

Do you want our desk to help you finding the right images? It's free!

Click here. Our desk is staffed and at your service 24/7.

OTOH if there would be a process in place to tell the system that a search is getting less results than expected, it could just as well tell the client what's wrong.

Or better suggest a solution, because one doesn't tell a client he/she is wrong even if it's bloody obvious.

And of course that's exactly what we have become to expect after all these years of user-friendliness from Google searches:

You mean aerial? when a client has typed Arial Moon Craters Idaho. (This one is from the current requests.)

Or: do you want us to search for a different restaurant in the Javastraat in Amsterdam, because restaurant James has closed one and a half years ago. (This one also from the current requests and one we have discussed here before. - Oops,  so now we do know some parts of the list are over a year old.)

 

wim

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my: via the list and Wikipedia, I've discovered that funeral strippers are a 'thing'.

I hope I can forget that very quickly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I echo others who have said that it would be helpful to know when the list is updated, or to be able to search "newest first".

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Gina Kelly said:

I echo others who have said that it would be helpful to know when the list is updated, or to be able to search "newest first".

 

Or maybe even a field with date added for each request.

 

wim

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

 

Would that help? We only see the searches the next day, or for all we know in the case of these requests maybe next year.

What could probably help is direct feedback, like when a search returns a lot less images than expected, a client could get a pop-up:

We're seeing you're having trouble finding the image that you want.

Do you want our desk to help you finding the right images? It's free!

Click here. Our desk is staffed and at your service 24/7.

OTOH if there would be a process in place to tell the system that a search is getting less results than expected, it could just as well tell the client what's wrong.

Or better suggest a solution, because one doesn't tell a client he/she is wrong even if it's bloody obvious.

And of course that's exactly what we have become to expect after all these years of user-friendliness from Google searches:

You mean aerial? when a client has typed Arial Moon Craters Idaho. (This one is from the current requests.)

Or: do you want us to search for a different restaurant in the Javastraat in Amsterdam, because restaurant James has closed one and a half years ago. (This one also from the current requests and one we have discussed here before. - Oops,  so now we do know some parts of the list are over a year old.)

 

wim

 

I like the pop-up idea. Perhaps something like that is in the works.

 

The spelling error I found was "Coyocan, Mexico". It should be "Coyoacan, Mexico," so I've put the misspelling in my keywords since I have images of Coyoacan.

 

Hmmm... perhaps we'll never know how old (or new) some of those requests are. I would have tried the vegaburger. Too bad they took it off the menu. B)

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what happened to targeting the US market?

Virtually everything location specific is in the UK.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

 

Or maybe even a field with date added for each request.

 

wim

 

That would be very helpful, and easy to do I would think/hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DCSmith said:

So what happened to targeting the US market?

Virtually everything location specific is in the UK.

 

There are plenty of international locales listed in the "travel" category.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Maybe the important message from these lists is just how specific and localised image requests can be.

 

Probably the best reaction is to ignore the actual list and make one of your own locality -  every church, pub, listed building, public artwork, independent shop, tourist attraction, point of interest, geographical feature, local food and craft speciality, leisure activity, restaurant, hotel, museum, recycling centre, historic site etc etc. 

 

Not a bad idea. I find myself taking some of the most mundane shots as a result of this kind of thinking!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Maybe the important message from these lists is just how specific and localised image requests can be.

 

Probably the best reaction is to ignore the actual list and make one of your own locality -  every church, pub, listed building, public artwork, independent shop, tourist attraction, point of interest, geographical feature, local food and craft speciality, leisure activity, restaurant, hotel, museum, recycling centre, historic site etc etc. 

 

2 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

 

Not a bad idea. I find myself taking some of the most mundane shots as a result of this kind of thinking!

Absolutely.  I now seem to be the proud provider of the only picture of a grade 2 listed building in a nearby town - one I thought would be covered at least a couple of times.  The best bit about it was when it came to keywording because its listed there was a site that gave loads of details about it,  allowing a good number of keywords I would not have thought about because I didn't know they existed (hoodmould anyone?)

I think it is too easy for people to become blind to what is close around them - they see the same thing every day it is not special to them.  It does not occur to them that what they see may be desired by others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone

 

To answer some of the above questions, the tool will be updated with new picture needs daily (if there are any new picture needs to add). We don’t currently send out notifications but will include new additions in our tweets which are displayed within the tool, so you’ll be able to spot them there.

 

Ticking the “I’ve covered this pic need” box will help us identify uploads within the specific picture needs, but we are keeping an eye on the general search results too, so if people have updated their keywords, or forgotten to tick the box, it should be picked up.

 

We’ll remove picture needs when enough content has been uploaded, so if a picture need is listed it should in theory be relevant regardless of what date it was added to the tool. In most cases the picture needs are topics that have been asked or searched for by several customers, which means we are likely to get the same request again in the future.

 

The current beta version don’t have a mechanism to report spelling mistakes, but if you let us know by emailing contributors@alamy.com, they’ll be able to correct any mistakes you’ve spotted.

 

Many thanks

Alamy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Alamy!

It will however be very difficult to spot new entries somewhere in between those 3000+ current requests.

 

Could we maybe have a field for date added? That would make off line searching easier. For online searching in the current tool it would be of no help of course.

Is there any reason not to present it in the same way All of Alamy has been presented up to now? You know with the categories clickable and all information like UCO's. Where clicking the keywords will show what's on Alamy already at the moment.

Could we maybe have at least the field with the current amount of images for the request?

Like from the current request we have:

 

Broken technology  -  25,709 images

Blockchain  -  44,468 images
Business Start up  -  65,024 images

 

-Sorry I am only just finishing the keywords starting with C. And before you ask, I have only checked about 25 requests that interested me.

Only one poorly worded request yielded 0 images. A better search gave 28 and an even broader one 80 good images.

Others ranged from 1 to 4868 images, apart from those three pretty saturated ones.

 

wim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Oh my: via the list and Wikipedia, I've discovered that funeral strippers are a 'thing'.

I hope I can forget that very quickly!

I had to look this up, and I have made sure that some of my friends are now traumatized as well..lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off topic slightly, but it's interesting to see which categories the subjects are allocated. I've always thought that there aren't enough to select from to cover all accurately. Restaurants, courts and nightclubs are travel. A military fighter aircraft is transport. Hopefully that proves that it's not too important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.