What should I shoot - BETA

Is the photo need will be customized for the contributor to contributor or it would be general as Twitter feed?

Khan.

Some comments (already posted in another place):

Firstly, a comment on the CSV download: please take more care when preparing this, as information which should be in the description column has frequently been split across the category and further additional columns.  Which leads to the category column often being shifted across to column D, E, F, or even G!  Not an easy read :( and not keen on manually editing >3,000 rows.  Makes sorting difficult.

Next, would be nice to have the option online to remove items from the list (a 'not interested' checkbox).  Or is that what 'I've covered this pic needs' means?  This is not clear!  Perhaps, 'I've covered this pic needs' should be a notification to Alamy that these images may be found in this photographer's portfolio?

Lastly, not keen on the way that the page opens up: would be better as a tab: Overview | Account Settings | Picture Needs so that easy access to other areas is retained.

Edited by losdemas
Having a Monday morning on a Tuesday!

12 minutes ago, Fahd Khan said:

What should I shoot - BETA

Is the photo need will be customized for the contributor to contributor or it would be general as Twitter feed?

Khan.

Hi Khan,

A thread has already been started on this.  In answer to your question, no it's not customised directly: you can select categories when searching or set default categories in your Account Settings.

^^ Reflecting on my comments above re: having the page as a tab, I can understand that actually this probably would not be practicable for display reasons.  Anyhow, thanks for this, Alamy, it's a valuable addition. :)

This looks useful. Most of the needs are very specific so I guess this is taking searches that were performed by real customers which returned none or a low number of results.

3 hours ago, losdemas said:

Hi Khan,

A thread has already been started on this.  In answer to your question, no it's not customised directly: you can select categories when searching or set default categories in your Account Settings.

Hello Losdemas,

thanks for your answer and I thought I am the first to see the Change.

Khan.

2 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

This looks useful. Most of the needs are very specific so I guess this is taking searches that were performed by real customers which returned none or a low number of results.

One of them is 'American-looking seniors on beach'.

Perhaps the problem is with the searcher as American seniors beach returns 913 images.

(But as the customer is always right, American looking seniors beach has 98 files, because the models are looking at the camera or something else.)

Did the searcher specifically want seniors who weren't American but looked American?  How could you specifically keyword that?

If someone had American models, would they ever keyword American-looking? And if they did, that could corrupt a lot of other searches via juxtaposition.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
  • Like 1

Also I can see that several of the search terms I recognise were for very particular news stories.

If the picture need is associated with a geographical location, it would be good to have a filter by country (or even by city if not too difficult to do.) 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, losdemas said:

Some comments (already posted in another place):

Firstly, a comment on the CSV download: please take more care when preparing this, as information which should be in the description column has frequently been split across the category and further additional columns.  Which leads to the category column often being shifted across to column D, E, F, or even G!  Not an easy read :( and not keen on manually editing >3,000 rows.  Makes sorting difficult.

Next, would be nice to have the option online to remove items from the list (a 'not interested' checkbox).  Or is that what 'I've covered this pic needs' means?  This is not clear!  Perhaps, 'I've covered this pic needs' should be a notification to Alamy that these images may be found in this photographer's portfolio?

Lastly, not keen on the way that the page opens up: would be better as a tab: Overview | Account Settings | Picture Needs so that easy access to other areas is retained.

Hi losdemas

Thanks for the feedback, we will be fixing the CSV so it doesn't split the description column.

To clarify your second point, if you tick "I've covered this pic need" we will receive a notification and a link to your latest upload.

Many thanks

Alamy

1 hour ago, Cryptoprocta said:

One of them is 'American-looking seniors on beach'.

Perhaps the problem is with the searcher as American seniors beach returns 913 images.

(But as the customer is always right, American looking seniors beach has 98 files, because the models are looking at the camera or something else.)

Did the searcher specifically want seniors who weren't American but looked American?  How could you specifically keyword that?

If someone had American models, would they ever keyword American-looking? And if they did, that could corrupt a lot of other searches via juxtaposition.

But, if you use the entire phrase "American looking seniors walking on the beach" it only nets 10 images.  Grabbing "Amunet" only has 26 images.  Searching on the phrase itself does appear to have few images and  "ANC Halfords Cycling Team" has only one image.

So I assume it is phrase specific?  At any rate, looks to be a helpful tool to me.

Edited by Bear
extra spaces for some reason.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alamy said:

To clarify your second point, if you tick "I've covered this pic need" we will receive a notification and a link to your latest upload.

Might this not also include adding new keywords to existing images? ... in which case a link to the latest upload wouldn't necessarily make sense...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Maybe add .csv

So that the file reads

picture.csv

in stead of just

picture

wim

Edited by wiskerke
clarify
  • Upvote 1

:o  looking through the picture needs I've only just realised that 'a' is relevant.   I always thought it didn't count and so don't think I've ever included it.  

Eg 'Cleaning a nest box' caught my eye because I have one - mine (and other better more relevant ones) are tagged "cleaning nest box" and don't show

Has something changed or have I always misunderstood this?

Edited by kay

1 minute ago, funkyworm said:

Nothing has changed. I think I am right in saying they left the word "a" in because in the UK you have A-road designations.

thanks

:wacko: I've a bit of keyword checking to do then . . . ouch

15 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Nothing has changed. I think I am right in saying they left the word "a" in because in the UK you have A-road designations.

Personally I think that all they have done is copied and pasted (or automatically collected) the exact search phrase that the customer used. The fact that the 'A' in the customer's search makes no difference is by the by. For example, one of the customer needs being reported is "A 1980s water bed". If you search for "A 1980s water bed" and "1980s water bed" you get the exact same result.

So now to dust of the old time machine and go back to the 1980s....

(Totally off-topic.. I passed a DeLorean on the motorway a week ago... didn't look like it was capable of doing 88mph! :D )

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Personally I think that all they have done is copied and pasted (or automatically collected) the exact search phrase that the customer used. The fact that the 'A' in the customer's search makes no difference is by the by. For example, one of the customer needs being reported is "A 1980s water bed". If you search for "A 1980s water bed" and "1980s water bed" you get the exact same result.

So now to dust of the old time machine and go back to the 1980s....

(Totally off-topic.. I passed a DeLorean on the motorway a week ago... didn't look like it was capable of doing 88mph! :D )

??? that's wierd.  I don't get the same result?  "a 1980s water bed" = 3 results, "1980s water bed" = 6 results   

Edited by kay

download the csv file to see everything.

2 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

sorry, meant 6 for "1980s water bed", but this is what I get for "a 1980s water bed"     https://www.alamy.com/search.html?CreativeOn=1&adv=1&ag=0&all=1&creative=&et=0x000000000000000000000&vp=0&loc=0&qt=a 1980s water bed&qn=&lic=6&lic=1&imgt=0&archive=1&dtfr=&dtto=&hc=&selectdate=&size=0xFF&aqt=&epqt=&oqt=&nqt=&gtype=0&pn=1&ps=100&qt_raw=a 1980s water bed#BHM=foo%3Dbar%26st%3D0%26pn%3D1%26ps%3D100%26sortby%3D2%26qt%3Da%201980s%20water%20bed%26qt_raw%3Da%201980s%20water%20bed%26qn%3D%26lic%3D3%26edrf%3D0%26mr%3D0%26pr%3D0%26aoa%3D1%26creative%3D%26videos%3D%26nu%3D%26ccc%3D%26bespoke%3D%26apalib%3D%26ag%3D0%26hc%3D0%26et%3D0x000000000000000000000%26vp%3D0%26loc%3D0%26ot%3D0%26imgt%3D0%26dtfr%3D%26dtto%3D%26size%3D0x0%26blackwhite%3D%26cutout%3D%26archive%3D1%26name%3D%26groupid%3D%26pseudoid%3D{E845ABE1-9D76-4CBC-8C92-B708BD0EF16A}%26userid%3D%26id%3D%26a%3D%26xstx%3D0%26cbstore%3D1%26resultview%3DsortbyPopular%26lightbox%3D%26gname%3D%26gtype%3D%26apalic%3D%26tbar%3D1%26pc%3D%26simid%3D%26cap%3D1%26customgeoip%3DGB%26vd%3D0%26cid%3D%26pe%3D%26so%3D%26lb%3D%26fi%3D0%26langcode%3Den%26upl%3D0%26cufr%3D%26cuto%3D%26howler%3D%26cvrem%3D0%26cvtype%3D0%26cvloc%3D0%26cl%3D0%26upfr%3D%26upto%3D%26primcat%3D%26seccat%3D%26cvcategory%3D*%26restriction%3D%26random%3D%26ispremium%3D1%26flip%3D0%26saveQry%3D%26editorial%3D1%26t%3D0%26edoptin%3D

How odd... all I see is this:

Achtziger Jahre, Wassermuehle, Alte Oelmuehle an der Wied, Waldbreitbach, Wied, Westerwald, Naturpark Rhein-Westerwald, - Stock Image

.. which is obviously a water mill and does have the tags "1980s", "water" and "bed of river" amongst others...

2 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

How odd... all I see is this:

Achtziger Jahre, Wassermuehle, Alte Oelmuehle an der Wied, Waldbreitbach, Wied, Westerwald, Naturpark Rhein-Westerwald, - Stock Image

.. which is obviously a water mill and does have the tags "1980s", "water" and "bed of river" amongst others...

Same here: just that 1 image.

wim