Alamy Measures, Customer Search Activity

Sometimes when I look in customer search activity,  I see  0 views for certain term that someone used to search for images.  I always thought it meant that there were 0 images for that particular search term but is that not the case?  If I click on that search term it brings up relevant images.  So what does 0 under views mean?

Could it be that the images were uploaded and came online after the search??

I just checked with the random search term "%aussie" a few results turned up - among them by coincidence "drunk aussies" with no views - and there were no images :) 

Yes I have seen that too. And yes I did see the question.

I can only guess, so not knowing anything let alone everything.

First of all in AoA we don't see any of the filters the client has been using.

Some images are available in some regions only, so if all results are from 1 photographer or 1 agency, it's well possible that those images are visible here but not there.

If it's been a search from some time ago, images may have been uploaded since.

What sometimes happens: I spot a search, that I think should have brought up one or some of mine. However upon inspection It turns out I have forgotten to add that or those keywords. So I add them and they'll be live next day and will bring up my images when someone repeats the search.

wim

24 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

Could it be that the images were uploaded and came online after the search??

I just checked with the random search term "%aussie" a few results turned up - among them by coincidence "drunk aussies" with no views - and there were no images :) 

Not possible because I uploaded my images in January 2017 and the search was done between June 2018 and November 10, 2018.  Unless I added that search term after the search was done. There is no way to tell when I added the keywords.

2 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

What sometimes happens: I spot a search, that I think should have brought up one or some of mine. However upon inspection It turns out I have forgotten to add that or those keywords. So I add them and they'll be live next day and will bring up my images when someone repeats the search.

I think this is the case in my case. 

Just now, tarsierspectral said:

Not possible because I uploaded my images in January 2017 and the search was done between June 2018 and November 10, 2018.  Unless I added that search term after the search was done. There is no way to tell when I added the keywords.

Ahh that's simple: check the keywords against your own in the Pseudonym Summary. If you narrow the original search down, it's quicker.

wim

1 minute ago, tarsierspectral said:

And what should I compare there?

If you click on your pseudo, you'll see all keywords that have been searched with statistics akin to those in AoA. Now with filters.

If you go back to the search in AoA and narrow it down in time, and you set the same dates in your Pseudonym Summary, you'll see if the search appears in your data as well. If not, then your images either did not have that keyword or the images did not appear on the pages the client has viewed.

In general Pseudonym Summary is especially useful to find false positives.

wim

4 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

If you click on your pseudo, you'll see all keywords that have been searched with statistics akin to those in AoA. Now with filters.

If you go back to the search in AoA and narrow it down in time, and you set the same dates in your Pseudonym Summary, you'll see if the search appears in your data as well. If not, then your images either did not have that keyword or the images did not appear on the pages the client has viewed.

In general Pseudonym Summary is especially useful to find false positives.

wim

But since the Views and Zooms for the search term show 0 isn't it obvious my images were not shown to the customer?

10 minutes ago, tarsierspectral said:

But since the Views and Zooms for the search term show 0 isn't it obvious my images were not shown to the customer?

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

First of all in AoA we don't see any of the filters the client has been using.

Not sure I get it.  Whether they used a filter or not my images were obviously not shown to the client.  Does not tell me whether I added the term before or after the search.

Have you spoken with CR?

33 minutes ago, tarsierspectral said:

Not sure I get it.  Whether they used a filter or not my images were obviously not shown to the client.  Does not tell me whether I added the term before or after the search.

True, but unless it's really really rare, it will appear before and after that date. So if it does appear after the date, but not before, it's highly likely you found your scenario.

If it does appear both before and after,  you could try to find out which filter was used. RM/RF being an obvious one, but date range; with/without people and so on, are all good possibilities.

wim

11 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

True, but unless it's really really rare, it will appear before and after that date. So if it does appear after the date, but not before, it's highly likely you found your scenario.

If it does appear both before and after,  you could try to find out which filter was used. RM/RF being an obvious one, but date range; with/without people and so on, are all good possibilities.

wim

Wim, 

What do you mean by it as in "it will appear before and after that date"?  I looked in https://www.alamy.com/Alamysearchhistory/contributorsearch.aspx set the dates June 1, 2018 to November 10, 2018 (that's when it appears in the AoA) and the search term does not appear in https://www.alamy.com/Alamysearchhistory/contributorsearch.aspx.  Doesn't it prove that I must have added that after the search was made?

Wim, 

What do you mean by it as in "it will appear before and after that date"?  I looked in https://www.alamy.com/Alamysearchhistory/contributorsearch.aspx set the dates June 1, 2018 to November 10, 2018 (that's when it appears in the AoA) and the search term does not appear in https://www.alamy.com/Alamysearchhistory/contributorsearch.aspx.  Doesn't it prove that I must have added that after the search was made?

My guess is that it appears on a specific day, not every day over the entire period. Basically at first you will be looking for the the most recent time it appears with 0 results.

There's a possibility that yours are not appearing while there are searches with 1 or more views on AoA. Then it's the differences between those others and yours you're interested in.

Again there are images that are visible here but not there but also vice versa.

wim

17 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

My guess is that it appears on a specific day, not every day over the entire period. Basically at first you will be looking for the the most recent time it appears with 0 results.

There's a possibility that yours are not appearing while there are searches with 1 or more views on AoA. Then it's the differences between those others and yours you're interested in.

Again there are images that are visible here but not there but also vice versa.

wim

It appears on September 12, 2018 in AoA.  It only appears on that day.  And it only appears with 0 results.  What does this prove?

Just now, tarsierspectral said:

It appears on September 12, 2018 in AoA.  It only appears on that day.  And it only appears with 0 results.  What does this prove?

It's really really rare!

And clients don't seem to be that interested, or don't know and or use the word.

wim

Just now, wiskerke said:

It's really really rare!

And clients don't seem to be that interested, or don't know and or use the word.

wim

Wim I don't understand at all.  What is really really rare?  The client made a search for a given term.  There are no images matching the term.  I check AoA and see that I have an image of that object.  I check my keywords and notice that I don't have that specific term in my keywords.  I add that specific term.  So now when I click on the 0 results it brings up my images but didn't then because I didn't have that term as a keyword.

What is rare about this?  What are the clients not interested in or don't know?

Archived