Somehow I am going to Havana?

20 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Somehow? It's a long way to walk (and swim) from Calgary. I'd recommend WestJet instead. B)

I wasn't planning on going and next thing I know....oh yes, plane for sure...will be a long time before I set foot in the US again.

6 minutes ago, Avpics said:

And I wouldn't suggest walking back via Mexico any time soon

I won't even take a connection through the US right now.

9 minutes ago, Sally said:

I liked the Sierra Maestra mountains where Che and his gang hung out, and the most westerly town, Baracoa, but it’s a bit of a trek to get there. And of course you have to go to Trinidad

perfect, thanks Sally

Havana is one of the most photogenic cities on earth. Everything there is a photograph.

I found it very safe but lots of people will approach you for money.

Also, wear good quality trekking  shoes, the cobblestone streets  are murder on your feet.  Most importantly have fun (obviously)

Think I'd be inclined to take some photos documenting the social and economic changes that are happening in Cuba -- greater access to the Internet, new stores, etc. -- along with the more photogenic subjects that everyone photographs (for good reason, of course).

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Makes me sad to say it, but that's probably a good idea these days.

Are there non-stops to Havana from Calgary? I'm still hoping to visit Cuba at some point. 

yup, sure are...that will be weird for me for once!

59 minutes ago, Rico said:

Havana is one of the most photogenic cities on earth. Everything there is a photograph.

I found it very safe but lots of people will approach you for money.

Also, wear good quality trekking  shoes, the cobblestone streets  are murder on your feet.  Most importantly have fun (obviously)

I have my foot repair kit in my suitcase all the time...this I am always prepared for....and yes, there will be ALOT of photos.

35 minutes ago, Abiyoyo said:

Maybe Viñales and Las Terrazas? as well as Cienfuegos if you go to Trinidad?

I booked a day trip to Viñales already, but other then my hotel and flight, that's all I have done.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Think I'd be inclined to take some photos documenting the social and economic changes that are happening in Cuba -- greater access to the Internet, new stores, etc. -- along with the more photogenic subjects that everyone photographs (for good reason, of course).

that's one thing I learnt! I tried to shoot more stock/every day stuff my last trip...rather then make my photos fit stock. I still take what I want, but I am developing a better eye for it...but a long way to go.

I have to take exception to the constant slurs on the USA, our government and leaders. Are you all snobs? Are you perfect? Is your country and leaders perfect? Where is “good will toward men?” (And women)

I just got home from voting. I drove myself through a lovely neighborhood to a church, which was the polling place, taking in the gorgeous colors of autumn.

I strolled into the church, no riots, no conflicts, just gracious people, mostly seniors, instructing and explaining the process. People were lined up to vote, polite and quiet. I saw several nationalities, Americans now. Pretty much the same in Kansas as it was in Oklahoma.

After, I drove myself to Taco Bell and bought lunch, a chalupa box with a chalupa, taco, cola and cinnamon crisps for $5. I was served by smiling people of Mexican nationality.

I have never slurred your countries, but for cryin’ out loud I could find plenty of stuff to do so, but I encounter it against mine in this forum on a regular basis by people I “thought” were friends. 

You bring tears to my eyes and a quiver to my chin.

Maybe I don’t belong here anymore. I don’t feel valued.

Betty

18 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Is your country and leaders perfect?

Not by a long way. There's a divisiveness running through much of western politics at the moment causing serious issues to huge numbers of people, and that causes anger. We have a government in the UK boasting about their achievements whilst I have to walk past the homeless in my town and people sift through my rubbish looking for items they can use or sell. Please feel free to comment on my country in any way that you wish.

AAAhhhh Betty. I send a hug. To tell the truth, on this Election Day I had a bit of a laugh at somebody being unwilling to set foot here on their way to Havana. Cuba is a place with a government I am willing to disparage.

Paulette

Betty's comments are a reminder to us all that this is a worldwide community we have on this forum and it's easy to inadvertently cause hurt when talking about worldwide issues. We should always be careful not to upset or annoy. Having said that, I'd be lying if I said anything other than you have as your president one of the most unlikely, arrogant, misogynistic, and least presidential characters ever to grace the oval office. The US could do much much better than that. I should add that our leaders are no better and that's why many of us Scots are pushing for Independence.   

CUCs.  As soon as you can, get some loose change in CUCs.  You might want to tip the 'Cigar Ladies', I mean the models in Havana if you want a picture of them, and there will be other characters that might approach you asking if you would like to take a photo of them for a fee of course; even in Vinales.  I mean you might not have to tip at all, depends on your cameras, what and who you point them at and how much attention they draw.  Other than that have no more advice, was only in Cuba shooting for two days in December, best weather they had then as well.

Helen

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have to take exception to the constant slurs on the USA, our government and leaders. Are you all snobs? Are you perfect? Is your country and leaders perfect? Where is “good will toward men?” (And women)

I just got home from voting. I drove myself through a lovely neighborhood to a church, which was the polling place, taking in the gorgeous colors of autumn.

I strolled into the church, no riots, no conflicts, just gracious people, mostly seniors, instructing and explaining the process. People were lined up to vote, polite and quiet. I saw several nationalities, Americans now. Pretty much the same in Kansas as it was in Oklahoma.

After, I drove myself to Taco Bell and bought lunch, a chalupa box with a chalupa, taco, cola and cinnamon crisps for $5. I was served by smiling people of Mexican nationality.

I have never slurred your countries, but for cryin’ out loud I could find plenty of stuff to do so, but I encounter it against mine in this forum on a regular basis by people I “thought” were friends. 

You bring tears to my eyes and a quiver to my chin.

Maybe I don’t belong here anymore. I don’t feel valued.

Betty

No, I have many friends in the US (including my 2 best friends...one in the navy, the other the army), and I lived there for a short period of time myself. I just choose not to travel there, or spend any money there if possible. It's not a personal afront to the majority of the population there. I can't vote there, all I can do is have a say with my money. Alot of places I want to go to in the US, and alot of people I want to see, but given the current climate there. I refuse to travel to Texas for work, it's my choice...I don't feel safe with guns everywhere. We see things differently....a mass shooting here makes the national news for 2 weeks...that's the environment I am use too. I have friends who went to Las Vegas last October for a concert and never returned....that's not okay with me.

And for the record, I wouldn't travel to half the countries in the world right now....it's all relative to what I know and what I am okay with.

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

AAAhhhh Betty. I send a hug. To tell the truth, on this Election Day I had a bit of a laugh at somebody being unwilling to set foot here on their way to Havana. Cuba is a place with a government I am willing to disparage.

Paulette

My concern with passing through the US on the way to and from Cuba would be possible hassles with customs, etc., especially now that relations between the US and Cuba are hitting the rocks again. I cross into nearby Washington state quite often without any problems. That said, borders are never fun places. Let's hope that the results of today's midterms help bring some sanity. Goodness knows, we all need some at this point.

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

My concern with passing through the US on the way to and from Cuba would be possible hassles with customs, etc., especially now that relations between the US and Cuba are hitting the rocks again. I cross into nearby Washington state quite often without any problems. That said, borders are never fun places. Let's hope that the results of today's midterms help bring some sanity. Goodness knows, we all need some at this point.

and what about Canadian and US tensions? I know alot of people being send back at the border just based on our new cannabis laws and social media accounts. Why bother?

2 hours ago, MandyD said:

and what about Canadian and US tensions? I know alot of people being send back at the border just based on our new cannabis laws and social media accounts. Why bother?

Yes, crossing the border is not risk-free these days. You never know what questions you're going to be asked. Stories like these are being reported. Even people crossing into Washington state -- where ironically recreational cannabis is legal -- have had problems at the border, some of them serious (e.g. lifetime bans).

"Why bother?" To be honest, I don't have a good answer to that question. The overall nuttiness of the past three years has left me numb, I'm sad to admit.

P.S. I'm allergic to smoke of all kinds. Guns give me hives as well. B)

6 hours ago, Avpics said:

Not by a long way. There's a divisiveness running through much of western politics at the moment causing serious issues to huge numbers of people, and that causes anger. We have a government in the UK boasting about their achievements whilst I have to walk past the homeless in my town and people sift through my rubbish looking for items they can use or sell. Please feel free to comment on my country in any way that you wish.

Ditto. The homelessness and drug problems in Vancouver are shameful. Canada's indigenous people have been -- and still are -- treated horribly. Our environmental record sucks. Definitely not perfect here...

Archived