JeffGreenberg

Seagate 8TB Expansion Hard Drive failing

Recommended Posts

or maybe its a full crash;

it turns on, it shows in laptop window;

top layer of folders show;

but can't be entered;

scanning for errors gives unable-to-scan message;

did reboots, switched all cords & ports;

it appears & disappears-disconnects on its own repeatedly;

at first got "I/O error" message, not anymore;

there was faint clicking months ago, nothing recently;

broken HD had not been touched-moved for months;

have backup clone same model, will buy (2) new $150

latest version same model to have triplicates &

eliminate fear of having only one copy temporarily...

just backed up remaining good 8TB HD on multi older HDs;

wifey tried free Microsoft recovery app, it recovered nothing;

it was primary HD to from which I regularly copied to backup;

there is one folder containing Excel docs that I had not backed

up for couple weeks & would like to recover to make sure I have

latest info;  any suggestions appreciated...

 

 

Edited by JeffGreenberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if this helps, but it's worth mentioning we recently visited Click Away- the computer repair place in Santa Cruz, CA where we fixed a HD on a laptop. I'd rank them tops in fixing computers. Very knowledgeable especially with Apple. If I were to have a HD problem with one of my Seagate or system Mac HDs (knock on wood so far), I'd be there first thing in the morning- I'm that confident.

 

And regarding hard drives, he said that solid state is the way to go in the future. No moving parts, so they can be banged around and keep on going a long time. But he said, even their life expectancy was limited. He also said to be careful not to let old hard drives languish over long periods of time, but to start and rev them up a little every three months, since things can go wrong just from being idle. (Though I personally have let them sit idle for years, and they fire up no problem still when I need them.)

 

Good luck and I hope that gets resolved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same thing happened to me . 2 years of  photo archive  i missed during the crash... After that , i have bought one drive and cloud as secondary backup medium ... 

The first copy on the external hard drive for faster access, and the second copy on cloud drives. 

Let me know you managed to recover your data &  also share the experience of recovery process. 

GOOD LUCK 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might want to consider a different brand of HD. G-Technology are, in my experience, the most reliable and robust drives. The desktop ones come in metal casings. A little but not too much more expensive perhaps but worth the extra few £€$s. I have never had one fail whereas I can't say the same for other brands.

Edited by MDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MDM said:

You might want to consider a different brand of HD. G-Technology are, in my experience, the most reliable and robust drives. The desktop ones come in metal casings. A littlest not too much more expensive perhaps but worth the extra few £€$s. I have never had one fail whereas I can't say the same for other brands.

 

G-Technology is just a sticker brand name, it's Western Digital.

Inside is a WD Red hdd, originally meant to be used in a NAS.

There are only 3 hdd manufacturers left with a couple of different brands: Seagate, Toshiba & WD.

Samsung was bought by Seagate and doesn't even exist as a brand anymore; HGST (=Hitachi) are now WD.

HGST was the former owner of G-Technology. So in older (pre 2012) cases you'll probably find HGST drives, some of which were indeed really durable.

A good insight (but limited scope) in hdd longevity is: the Backblaze blog.

 

wim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a couple of G-Tech external drives. Very solid metal cases with particularly good cooling which is a very good thing for hard drives. The smaller portable drives look just like their bigger brothers. I did have one of those fail but the drive was replaced without argument. They do 7200 rpm portable drives which are not hugely more expensive than the 5400 rpm ones. I'm not that convinced by the so-called rugged drives which don't have nice cooling fins. Keep my portable one in a nice padded case and don't chuck it about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mine bit it last night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wiskerke said:

 

G-Technology is just a sticker brand name, it's Western Digital.

Inside is a WD Red hdd, originally meant to be used in a NAS.

There are only 3 hdd manufacturers left with a couple of different brands: Seagate, Toshiba & WD.

Samsung was bought by Seagate and doesn't even exist as a brand anymore; HGST (=Hitachi) are now WD.

HGST was the former owner of G-Technology. So in older (pre 2012) cases you'll probably find HGST drives, some of which were indeed really durable.

A good insight (but limited scope) in hdd longevity is: the Backblaze blog.

 

wim

 

WD is a decent make as well. The G-Tech drives have far superior casing than the standard plastic desktop WDs which is one thing that distiunguishes them. I bought G-TEch originally because they have Thunderbolt. I have a new G-Tech portable with an older MacOs installation so I can use FilemakerPro which does not like the more recent MacOs (High Sierra +). Very pleased with the G-Tech drives anyway regardless of who makes them. 

 

The Backblaze blog is interesting but I wonder how directly it relates to drives that are predominantly used for storage in terms of drive lifespan. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI, ordered (2);

Newegg matched yesterday's lower $147.50 ea price...:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822178951

 

Now a fail will leave a-less-panicky (2) working TBs...

(& some older drives for temporary 3rd copy)

 

Once (2) new 8TBs are fully active clones of primary 8TB,

will try formatting failed 8TB to see if it can be saved...?

Any advice on steps?  Simple format?  Or?

If it won't format, how do I make sure data is unavailable

to evil geeks before trashing?  Sledge hammer?  Boil 1 hr?  Other?

Edited by JeffGreenberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MDM said:

The Backblaze blog is interesting but I wonder how directly it relates to drives that are predominantly used for storage in terms of drive lifespan.

 

Because they use consumer grade disks in stead of enterprise grade, the chance that they're using hdd's we might consider is actually quite substantial. However it's only a fraction of all those disks out there. In the past I have decided not to buy certain disks because of their bad statistics on the Backblaze blog. And similarly decided to change from Samsungs to those WD Reds, skipping the Seagates.

In general, if I remember correctly, their HGSTs have been the most reliable in their setup.

 

wim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as we are discussing hard drives, why did 10,000 rpm drives never take off? Something in my memory thinks Barracuda?  They always seemed a good idea but maybe they were unreliable? The prices seemed not too far a stretch. I've pretty well always used WD drives as externals, either as branded or in G-tech form.

 

What you get inside a Mac I think has varied over the years. My very first was a Mac II Ci  which had a 425 mb drive. That was an ambitious upgrade from the more standard 250 mb drive. and 8 mg RAM  with, of course, a 3.5 in floppy drive. Upgrading the RAM to 20 mg cost over £400. Yes, that was mg not gb

 

Somewhere up in my attic is an Amstrad with a 5 inch floppy which was such a load of crap it was quickly sent upstairs. It was a gift from my brother-in-law as a left-over from his days at the BBC. Yes, the BBC bought those machines with the awful green type on black.  How did the now famous Lord Sugar make such a fortune from this horrible technology? There was worse; like the dreadful email/fax/telephone thingy. I guess I was never likely to make The Apprentice short-list! But I like the barrow-boy made good part of the story.

Edited by Robert M Estall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert M Estall said:

Somewhere up in my attic is an Amstrad with a 5 inch floppy

 

Have you shot it for Alamy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

as we are discussing hard drives, why did 10,000 rpm drives never take off? Something in my memory thinks Barracuda?  They always seemed a good idea but maybe they were unreliable? The prices seemed not too far a stretch. I've pretty well always used WD drives as externals, either as branded or in G-tech form.

 

What you get inside a Mac I think has varied over the years. My very first was a Mac II Ci  which had a 425 mb drive. That was an ambitious upgrade from the more standard 250 mb drive. and 8 mg RAM  with, of course, a 3.5 in floppy drive. Upgrading the RAM to 20 mg cost over £400. Yes, that was mg not gb

 

Somewhere up in my attic is an Amstrad with a 5 inch floppy which was such a load of crap it was quickly sent upstairs. It was a gift from my brother-in-law as a left-over from his days at the BBC. Yes, the BBC bought those machines with the awful green type on black.  How did the now famous Lord Sugar make such a fortune from this horrible technology? There was worse; like the dreadful email/fax/telephone thingy. I guess I was never likely to make The Apprentice short-list! But I like the barrow-boy made good part of the story.

To be fair with a lot of that technology people were coming to it from having nothing - when you have nothing anything looks impressive lol

7 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

 

Have you shot it for Alamy?

To put it out of its misery, perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've just flung our 5.25s and 3.5s because only my last PC but one can read the 3.5s and the last one that could read 5.25s went to a bloke on Freecycle who collects them. They'd hung around for 10 or 15 years. No internet and huge 20MB drives- remember the snake rattle noise they made?

We kept a box for history's sake though. Surprisingly a very high percentage of the 3.5s had gone bad after a decade's indoor storage.

I used the Amstrad PC1512 through the 90s but it went about 8 years ago because it wouldn't boot. We still had the invoice from about 1987- £900 iirc.:lol:

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hajes said:

Seagate is most unrealiable disks on market.

 

I always used Transcend products but they recently started to use Seagate HDDs...catastrophe.

 

If lucky and HDD is not dead...you can take physical HDD from enclosure and hook it up to desktop computer directly...it usually helped me.

 

I lost lots of data when I was young and dumb...today, everything on industrial grade server HW  on RAID10 array backed up on several different locations.

That does not make me feel happy.  I have limited funds and have just bought a 6tb seagate out of necessity (and Amazon managing to lose 10 odd folders containing lots of gbs of data AND wipe them off my laptop at the same time).  Now I get to worry that will fail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, hajes said:

I never use latest max. disk capacities !!!

 

Most reliable are usually a half of last max. capacity...you can buy 12TB disk now I believe. My choice for server was 4x4TB just to make sure...

 

I have synced everything on DropBox so it doesn't bother me if I lose system disk. If everything fails on all physical locations...it means it is end of the world and you won't need your data anymore anyway :-D

 

Never buy two same disks....because sellers usually buy whole batch and if whole batch was faulty...all disks soon or later fail.

It was the synch folder that screwed up on Amazon - I still have no idea how.  Ah well onwards and upwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 01:22, JeffGreenberg said:

or maybe its a full crash;

it turns on, it shows in laptop window;

top layer of folders show;

but can't be entered;

scanning for errors gives unable-to-scan message;

did reboots, switched all cords & ports;

it appears & disappears-disconnects on its own repeatedly;

at first got "I/O error" message, not anymore;

there was faint clicking months ago, nothing recently;

broken HD had not been touched-moved for months;

have backup clone same model, will buy (2) new $150

latest version same model to have triplicates &

eliminate fear of having only one copy temporarily...

just backed up remaining good 8TB HD on multi older HDs;

wifey tried free Microsoft recovery app, it recovered nothing;

it was primary HD to from which I regularly copied to backup;

there is one folder containing Excel docs that I had not backed

up for couple weeks & would like to recover to make sure I have

latest info;  any suggestions appreciated...

 

 

 

Weird poem; no rhyming couplets other than lines 2 and 3 and no consistent iambic pentameter.

Edited by Steve Valentia
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2018 at 06:41, Steve Valentia said:

 

Weird poem

 

Good.

Les Demoiselles d'Avignnon was declared weird.

Some got it, most didn't.

Edited by JeffGreenberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now