Alan Beastall

Favourite photos in November 18

10 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Pretty interesting. Must have walked past it without looking properly.

https://issuu.com/piktopia/docs/livret_issuu_essai2

#49 and #50

The only place that names 2 of the sculptors so far. Just not the one in the picture on the left.

But delving some further with those names might get you there.

(Searched for bas-reliefs and then one or two street names.)

My favorite bas-relief is also in Toulouse (fittingly this time of year and this year particularly) is in that brochure too: #38, which is not the most interesting part of it.

It's the local Arc de Triomphe honoring the fallen soldiers of WW1. The Monument aux combattants de la Haute-Garonne (1928). However the main relief opposite that healthy but wary, real woman, lady Victory, depicts the homecoming of the survivors: totally elated, partying, grabbing their wives or girls. Extremely powerful. One of the best war monuments ever. imho. Worth a journey, not just a detour. The sculptor: Camille Raynaud. Some in Toulouse still hate him it seems.

From his wikipedia page: Camille Raynaud est surtout connu à Toulouse pour être l'auteur de deux bas-reliefs ornant ce monument, notamment celui de La Victoire, figurée par une femme à la physionomie lourde et fatiguée par les années de lutte : elle provoqua une controverse en son temps, critiquée par les associations d'anciens combattants mais défendue par Vincent Auriol, alors député de la Haute-Garonne, pour le choix d'une représentation politique de la victoire après le traité de Versailles, à savoir la victoire « telle qu'elle était et non pas telle qu'elle aurait du être ». Les contraintes budgétaires mirent d'ailleurs un terme au débat et l'œuvre de Raynaud ne fut pas modifiée. Avec son second bas-relief, 1918, il compose une scène de liesse et de retrouvailles durant l'armistice dans un cadrage original resserré sur une foule mouvementée dont il ne montre que les têtes et les bras.

wim

Thanks, Wim. My Modernist nose sniffed it out for me, it isn't particularly famous but I found some info here

http://www.pss-archi.eu/immeubles/FR-31555-17609.html

If you don't already know about this site, it looks pretty handy.

I could have just walked up and read the names at the time but they weren't too clear in my pix. I have one of the Gelis relief. I got the sculptor of a fountain from it too.

We were at the Monument aux Morts on November 11th a few years back but there were too many soldiers in the way to get a good look, although I have licenced pix of the gendarmes with their assault rifles a few times.

Great place, we go every year for a wine show. This year there were the big machines too. I really want that brochure.

Edited by spacecadet

Not sure if images from the AIM queue are visible here.
If so, this is that relief from the War Monument in Toulouse depicting Armistice Day:

R16C74.jpg

R16C75.jpg

wim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:
Not sure if images from the AIM queue are visible here.
If so, this is that relief from the War Monument in Toulouse depicting Armistice Day:

wim

They are. I found that out a while ago, but can't get them that big.

Powerful images. Thankyou for putting them up. I won't compete with you next year.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

They are. I found that out a while ago, but can't get them that big.

Powerful images. Thankyou for putting them up. I won't compete with you next year.

Not so sure: they have cleaned it after I took these.

wim

One from yesterday, at the Lord Mayor's Parade:

R19M32.jpg

..and one from 6am this morning:

R1BF83.jpg