Favourite photos in November 18

Alan Beastall

Taken yesterday, uploaded this morning and passed Q.C. this afternoon. Like the image, Alamy must be quite beesy in achieving this quick turn around.

Honey bee with pollen sac in flight towards an ivy flower to collect nectar and with shadow.

R00KC7.jpg

Autumn colour has finally reached the north shore of Lake Ontario, but the light has been marginal. Went back to the same spot on 3 different marginal light days. I photographed the falcon during a marginal lighting day. Dumb luck.

I like to photograph leaves with back lighting or cross lighting and include lots of black objects for contrast. Black tree trunks turned down, so shadows become almost black. The leaves are translucent and seem to glow. It means that I do not have to abuse the vibrance slider as much. With the light coming from behind the photographer, there is no leaf translucence and leaves tend to look less colourful, and therefore dead.

Autumn colour in the Carolinian Forest in High Park in fall in Toronto Ontario Canada Stock Photo

Autumn fall colour on the Scarborough Bluffs an escarpment above Bluffer's Park and Lake Ontario in Toronto Ontario Canada Stock PhotoMerlin Falco columbarius probably female bird of prey on the cliff top of the Scarborough Bluffs in Toronto Ontario Canada Stock Photo

2 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Autumn colour has finally reached the north shore of Lake Ontario, but the light has been marginal. Went back to the same spot on 3 different marginal light days. I photographed the falcon during a marginal lighting day. Dumb luck.

I like to photograph leaves with back lighting or cross lighting and include lots of black objects for contrast. Black tree trunks turned down, so shadows become almost black. The leaves are translucent and seem to glow. It means that I do not have to abuse the vibrance slider as much. With the light coming from behind the photographer, there is no leaf translucence and leaves tend to look less colourful, and therefore dead.

Autumn colour in the Carolinian Forest in High Park in fall in Toronto Ontario Canada Stock Photo

Autumn fall colour on the Scarborough Bluffs an escarpment above Bluffer's Park and Lake Ontario in Toronto Ontario Canada Stock PhotoMerlin Falco columbarius probably female bird of prey on the cliff top of the Scarborough Bluffs in Toronto Ontario Canada Stock Photo

Good pics, and thanks for the tips about photographing backlit leaves.

--Michael

PYP01F.jpg

Just off the A5 from Capel Curig to Beddgelert, looking over LLynnau Mymbyr, towards the peaks that make up the Snowdon Horseshoe. A road I've driven for over 35 years, and I'm sure many of you from the UK know this view. Beautiful early winter, early morning light, followed by a hike over the Carneddau and a couple of pints in the Pen-Y-Gwyrd. 

Choughs are very rare in UK and I have spent hours trying to get a decent image of one doing something interesting. Went for a walk along my local beach in Ireland (now live here) after a storm and virtually knee deep in the little blighters.:):) 

toe-head-west-cork-ireland-november-4th-2018-the-recent-storms-have-brought-a-windfall-to-the-local-chough-population-rotting-seaweed-full-of-beach-insects-is-providing-a-valuable-food-source-at-this-time-of-year-for-these-rare-birds-the-chough-is-very-scarce-in-the-united-kingdom-needing-a-very-specific-habitat-but-over-here-in-ireland-there-is-a-greater-population-of-this-rare-member-of-the-corvid-family-credit-aphperspectivealamy-live-news-R0EW9T.jpg

56 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Choughs are very rare in UK and I have spent hours trying to get a decent image of one doing something interesting. Went for a walk along my local beach in Ireland (now live here) after a storm and virtually knee deep in the little blighters.:):) 

toe-head-west-cork-ireland-november-4th-2018-the-recent-storms-have-brought-a-windfall-to-the-local-chough-population-rotting-seaweed-full-of-beach-insects-is-providing-a-valuable-food-source-at-this-time-of-year-for-these-rare-birds-the-chough-is-very-scarce-in-the-united-kingdom-needing-a-very-specific-habitat-but-over-here-in-ireland-there-is-a-greater-population-of-this-rare-member-of-the-corvid-family-credit-aphperspectivealamy-live-news-R0EW9T.jpg

At least they seem to be ignoring you - I sometimes get the feeling every bird and animal knows exactly what a camera is and exactly what shot I am trying to get - and waits until I am a fraction of a second from getting it then flies or runs away.

Beef cattle competition at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair in Toronto Ontario Canada.Stock Photo

R0PCPN royalty free editorial only because of no release.

1/25 sec F2.2 ISO 400 20 megapixel original Sony X100 reduced to 12 megapixel to tighten up ISO 400 noise.

Small size of RX 100 just makes you part of the crowd and almost invisible. Just set on wide angle, quickly move in, point in general direction of action, quickly try for decisive moment shot, and then quickly move away. Henri Cartier-Bresson I  am not, but that was his technique with a small Leica.

To quote Cartier-Bresson:

To me, photography is the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event.
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little, human detail can become a Leitmotiv.

I have watched the development of this ship conversion of MV Fingal (previously MV Windsor) into a luxury floating hotel over more than two years. It started off as an artwork dazzle ship in 2016. It has then been undergoing a significant refit including adding an extra top deck. This used to be a lighthouse tender, servicing lighthouses around Scotland’s coast. In January 2019 it will open as a 23 bedroom hotel operated by Royal Yacht Britannia.

artwork-on-mv-fingal-by-ciara-phillips-f

mv-fingal-lighthouse-tender-now-mv-winds

leith-edinburgh-scotland-united-kingdom-

R0X7WE.jpgI took this one a couple of weeks ago - it fascinated me at the time and it still fascinates me - the juxtaposition of the thrown away abandoned bike with the word future just grabs me.  I am not sure what others will make of it but I like it.

Off on my modernist kick again in Toulouse.  Cité du Port-Garaud by Joachim and Pierre Génard, 1958. Cubist reliefs by a sculptor I can't identify- I don't suppose anyone here.....?

R0XHTC.jpgR0XHTD.jpg

Place Saint-Pierre

R0XHTM.jpg

TV cameraman at the Stade Toulousain v. Bordeaux-Bègles match on Saturday evening- result 40 nil. Allez Stade!

R0XHW3.jpg

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Off on my modernist kick again in Toulouse.  Cité du Port-Garaud by Joachim and Pierree Génard, 1958. Cubist reliefs by a sculptor I can't identify- I don't suppose anyone here.....?

R0XHTC.jpgR0XHTD.jpg

Pretty interesting. Must have walked past it without looking properly.

https://issuu.com/piktopia/docs/livret_issuu_essai2

#49 and #50

The only place that names 2 of the sculptors so far. Just not the one in the picture on the left.

But delving some further with those names might get you there.

(Searched for bas-reliefs and then one or two street names.)

My favorite bas-relief is also in Toulouse (fittingly this time of year and this year particularly) is in that brochure too: #38, which is not the most interesting part of it.

It's the local Arc de Triomphe honoring the fallen soldiers of WW1. The Monument aux combattants de la Haute-Garonne (1928). However the main relief opposite that healthy but wary, real woman, lady Victory, depicts the homecoming of the survivors: totally elated, partying, grabbing their wives or girls. Extremely powerful. One of the best war monuments ever. imho. Worth a journey, not just a detour. The sculptor: Camille Raynaud. Some in Toulouse still hate him it seems.

From his wikipedia page: Camille Raynaud est surtout connu à Toulouse pour être l'auteur de deux bas-reliefs ornant ce monument, notamment celui de La Victoire, figurée par une femme à la physionomie lourde et fatiguée par les années de lutte : elle provoqua une controverse en son temps, critiquée par les associations d'anciens combattants mais défendue par Vincent Auriol, alors député de la Haute-Garonne, pour le choix d'une représentation politique de la victoire après le traité de Versailles, à savoir la victoire « telle qu'elle était et non pas telle qu'elle aurait du être ». Les contraintes budgétaires mirent d'ailleurs un terme au débat et l'œuvre de Raynaud ne fut pas modifiée. Avec son second bas-relief, 1918, il compose une scène de liesse et de retrouvailles durant l'armistice dans un cadrage original resserré sur une foule mouvementée dont il ne montre que les têtes et les bras.

wim

10 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Pretty interesting. Must have walked past it without looking properly.

https://issuu.com/piktopia/docs/livret_issuu_essai2

#49 and #50

The only place that names 2 of the sculptors so far. Just not the one in the picture on the left.

But delving some further with those names might get you there.

(Searched for bas-reliefs and then one or two street names.)

My favorite bas-relief is also in Toulouse (fittingly this time of year and this year particularly) is in that brochure too: #38, which is not the most interesting part of it.

It's the local Arc de Triomphe honoring the fallen soldiers of WW1. The Monument aux combattants de la Haute-Garonne (1928). However the main relief opposite that healthy but wary, real woman, lady Victory, depicts the homecoming of the survivors: totally elated, partying, grabbing their wives or girls. Extremely powerful. One of the best war monuments ever. imho. Worth a journey, not just a detour. The sculptor: Camille Raynaud. Some in Toulouse still hate him it seems.

From his wikipedia page: Camille Raynaud est surtout connu à Toulouse pour être l'auteur de deux bas-reliefs ornant ce monument, notamment celui de La Victoire, figurée par une femme à la physionomie lourde et fatiguée par les années de lutte : elle provoqua une controverse en son temps, critiquée par les associations d'anciens combattants mais défendue par Vincent Auriol, alors député de la Haute-Garonne, pour le choix d'une représentation politique de la victoire après le traité de Versailles, à savoir la victoire « telle qu'elle était et non pas telle qu'elle aurait du être ». Les contraintes budgétaires mirent d'ailleurs un terme au débat et l'œuvre de Raynaud ne fut pas modifiée. Avec son second bas-relief, 1918, il compose une scène de liesse et de retrouvailles durant l'armistice dans un cadrage original resserré sur une foule mouvementée dont il ne montre que les têtes et les bras.

wim

Thanks, Wim. My Modernist nose sniffed it out for me, it isn't particularly famous but I found some info here

http://www.pss-archi.eu/immeubles/FR-31555-17609.html

If you don't already know about this site, it looks pretty handy.

I could have just walked up and read the names at the time but they weren't too clear in my pix. I have one of the Gelis relief. I got the sculptor of a fountain from it too.

We were at the Monument aux Morts on November 11th a few years back but there were too many soldiers in the way to get a good look, although I have licenced pix of the gendarmes with their assault rifles a few times.

Great place, we go every year for a wine show. This year there were the big machines too. I really want that brochure.

Archived