funkyworm

But these days anyone can take a photo... errr... no.

Last Saturday I was thumbing through a newspaper when I saw one of my colleagues photos. The moment when our national volleyball team was knocked out of the Worlds in China. On the one side of the net the opposition celebrating whilst on the other the vanquished splayed out on the ground. "Mooi foto, Ronald!" I said to myself. 

On Tuesday I was just about to leave the photographers locale at a Champions League match at half time when I saw one of my colleagues photos on his screen as he was preparing to send it to the paper. A great photo. The Ajax shot being cleared from the line by the Benfica defender encapsulating the biggest chance of the first half. "Geweldig foto! Klaas Jan."

Yesterday I managed to wangle myself an invite to a seminar at one of the worlds biggest publishers. Talking to a member of staff about the state of the industry and the below cost prices we are receiving he came back with, well, that's the market, market saturation, anyone with an iphone can take a photo etc etc. And I sort of agreed... and replied with, but its a choice , Diremark jeans... think about it, if one pays those prices, you know someone is getting short changed. Rethinking the conversation, as I am wont to do, before, during and after... I should maybe have pointed out that whilst maybe people can take photos, it doesn;t necessarily mean that those images are any good.  Much of my parents holiday photos are half filled with pavements of Mediterreanean destinations.

So, a wee request, to myself and to others. Lets get away from this idea that anyone can take a photo. After a couple of decades experiance I wish I could take photos like Ronald and Klaas Jan, not everyone can take a good photo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

I'm with you here. Anyone can push a shutter button, yes. Where I lived out in Gaspesie it was quite touristy and there were frequently exhibitions from local photographers. They were almost exclusively prints of photos that I would have deleted without a moment's thought. Forgetting even the artistic side of composition, etc they were frequently an A-Z of how not to take a photo. White highlights, blocked shadow, exposure way off, focus point wrong, camera shake etc, etc. Basically just a beginner that has put a battery in a DSLR, put it on Auto and started shooting. No, not everyone can take a good photo. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone can take a picture, and everyone does.

Hundreds of millions of people have an incredible amount of photos in their smartphone's memory that will never have any value for anyone except themselves.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Olivier Parent said:

Everyone can take a picture, and everyone does.

Hundreds of millions of people have an incredible amount of photos in their smartphone's memory that will never have any value for anyone except themselves.

And arguably not even that much value!

I just wish some of them would stop taking photos and enjoy what they are looking at. The sea of smart-phones just pisses me off! I went to Venice with some friends a few years ago and didn't take a camera. Let's face it, Venice has been done, the world doesn't need Robert Estall's take on it. I have half a mind to visit Amsterdam again one of these days, but I won't be taking a camera. I wont be trampling Richard's patch.

Edited by Robert M Estall

34 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

I just wish some of them would stop taking photos and enjoy what they are looking at. The sea of smart-phones just pisses me off! I went to Venice with some friends a few years ago and didn't take a camera. Let's face it, Venice has been done, the world doesn't need Robert Estall's take on it. I have half a mind to visit Amsterdam again one of these days, but I won't be taking a camera. I wont be trampling Richard's patch.

We don't care. It's lousy weather anyway. We're / Amsterdam is famous for that. Oh wait...

If you want a coffee or a beer, I'm sure Richard is game as well.

wim

1 hour ago, Robert M Estall said:

Can't agree with that. It's Venice, for goodness' sake. If you'd gone this week you'd have had images of the highest acqua alta for years. Last time I went, it snowed in March.

Maybe the trick is to take saleable pictures that could be taken by anybody but aren't?

1 hour ago, Robert M Estall said:

I just wish some of them would stop taking photos and enjoy what they are looking at. The sea of smart-phones just pisses me off!

Spoke to a friend who has just been to London for the weekend. People looking at phones or taking a selfie in front of something. 

20 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Can't agree with that. It's Venice, for goodness' sake. If you'd gone this week you'd have had images of the highest acqua alta for years. Last time I went, it snowed in March.

For sure it's not just the place, it's the time as well. Imagine if you did go there without a camera and that happened. But maybe he just needed a holiday, an actual holiday. What's a holiday one might ask? The old phrase "busman's holiday" could easily be rephrased as photographer's holiday.

10 minutes ago, MDM said:

For sure it's not just the place, it's the time as well. Imagine if you did go there without a camera and that happened. But maybe he just needed a holiday, an actual holiday. What's a holiday one might ask? The old phrase "busman's holiday" could easily be rephrased as photographer's holiday.

"Holidays" are where I get most of my material;)

Toulouse on Thursday, mmm duck magret, which these aren't.

H2KKD8.jpgKH812D.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

I went to Yucatan (Mexico) recently. Every single point of view towards a pyramid was absolutely crowded… People taking selfies… So boring… I think I took only 2 pictures showing pyramids/ruins when I was there and I did not even keep them. I took pictures of birds and reptiles instead.Selfie maniacs really don't seem to care a lot about fauna, lucky me.

59 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I'm off to Venice on Thursday, for a week.  I'll be taking my camera.....and waterproofs...:)

9 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I'm off to Venice on Thursday, for a week.  I'll be taking my camera.....and waterproofs...:)

If you don't want to look like a tourist, buy a pair of their very elegant stivali and stride about confidently.

Edited by spacecadet

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

If you don't want to look like a tourist, buy a pair of their very elegant stivali and stride about confidently.

I had to google stivali - I think it would take a lot more than that to make me not look like a tourist.  Besides - for the price of some of those things I could get a half-decent lens....

Why pay a photographer when anyone can take a photo. When you think that way, you get the results posted on this link of the artists attending the ADISQ music awards held last Sunday in Montreal.  http://www.montreal.tv/2018/10/photos-tapis-rouge-et-gagnants-du-gala-de-ladisq-a-la-place-des-arts/?fbclid=IwAR24GqbtW2crdNpU8rvX0fi6Rn65eeDvn5biKvzF_jFOV2ehBhApJHiymh0

50 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I had to google stivali - I think it would take a lot more than that to make me not look like a tourist.  Besides - for the price of some of those things I could get a half-decent lens....

No, not those:blink:- it also means wellies and the ones they sell in Venice are much more reasonable. Maybe €8 or 10 IIRC. Mind you , that's when a euro was rather cheaper.......

Anyway it's that or plastic bags unless you've got something more stylish in mind.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

No, not those:blink:- it also means wellies and the ones they sell in Venice are much more reasonable. Maybe €8 or 10 IIRC. Mind you , that's when a euro was rather cheaper.......

Anyway it's that or plastic bags unless you've got something more stylish in mind.

The current plan is to take a 2nd pair of trainers and alternate if I have to dry them out every night, although after many years of hillwalking in all parts of the UK I'm quite used to getting my feet wet, but I'll check out the local wellies - thanks for the tip.

PS - me and 'stylish' have never in living memory been known to co-exist....:D

A mud covered walker after sinking in deep mud on the Dibidil to Kinloch coastal path, Isle of Rum, Scotland, UK - Stock Image

Edited by Vincent Lowe
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, vpics said:

Spoke to a friend who has just been to London for the weekend. People looking at phones or taking a selfie in front of something. 

K457BB.jpg

15 hours ago, wiskerke said:

We don't care. It's lousy weather anyway. We're / Amsterdam is famous for that. Oh wait...

If you want a coffee or a beer, I'm sure Richard is game as well.

wim

Yes, sure. Come on over. Its stopped raining (for the moment.) And bring your camera as well. I'm cautious to say you never know, you probably do. I do think you are right in that many should put their iphones down and enjoy the moment rather than taking selfies to get their 5like ego boost. And that goes for myself too... I am just planning a wee holiday at the moment... 

Getting back to my main subject point... Ok, anyone can take a photo, but probably few take photos of any value to anyone but themselves. And even those who can often have a different eye for the subject and market than you. Just a simple example was a sporting event I attended a couple fo years ago in the Far East with around 100+ shooters, many of which hobbyists (often they had the best equipment), and shooters for the organisation who gave away the images. Saturated supply of images, but not of the subject matter of interest for media in certain countries. The trouble is, the saturated commoditised market idea means that if I sell through agents I get a saturated commoditised market price.

15 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Seeing the flood levels in Venice on TV last night I think you will need more than wellies.

Perhaps wet suit and snorkel.

Allan

18 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

I agree entirely, we should all put our cameras down sometimes.

In July I went to Paris for a week, for our son's wedding, and I barely took a photograph. I didn't take a camera to the events at all, I just enjoyed being part of the celebrations for a change. Wonderful to actually be part of life, not watching it through a viewfinder for once.

Edited by Martin P Wilson
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

The current plan is to take a 2nd pair of trainers and alternate if I have to dry them out every night, although after many years of hillwalking in all parts of the UK I'm quite used to getting my feet wet, but I'll check out the local wellies - thanks for the tip.

PS - me and 'stylish' have never in living memory been known to co-exist....:D

Looks like these things have taken over

http://www.goldon.it/home.html

As well as currently being Associate Editor of a prestigious UK camera magazine, I was a senior tutor with the world's biggest online photography course, for 5 years. I have seen a LOT of bad photography.

But, try telling the "photographer" there's a problem and (even when they're paying you to teach them), you're likely to get an earful of "how dare you - it was deliberate!" or far worse. I saw a set of images on Facebook yesterday, by an a former student who describes herself as a "Professional Image Creator and Teacher", that had a number of technical issues in them. I told her about the lens distortion, lens flare, and over exposure at the edges of the frame and got the reply..."They were taken with my iPhone" (plus 3 of those 'crying with laughter' Emoji's).

Almost every personal or family-orientated image on social media will garner a "what a wonderful photo" response from friends and family. It doesn't matter how under-exposed, out of focus or devoid of extraneous limbs it may be. If a photo has an emotional connection to the photographer or viewer, it is likely to be considered "awesome" by someone, somewhere and anyone trying to alter that view will be considered an idiot, while simultaneously being blocked.

IMHO (social media speak for...I know what I'm talking about), Facebook and the like have done more to undervalue photography than any News / Media image pricing package deals that Alamy and Getty will ever do. The general viewer wouldn't know, or care, about a technically great photograph if they saw one. That's what's making those of us who pay our rent with a camera obsolete; and soon enough we'll all have to become Fashion Vloggers.

Edited by Steve Valentia

26 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

As well as currently being Associate Editor of a prestigious UK camera magazine, I was a senior tutor with the world's biggest online photography course, for 5 years. I have seen a LOT of bad photography.

But, try telling the "photographer" there's a problem and (even when they're paying you to teach them), you're likely to get an earful of "how dare you - it was deliberate!" or far worse. I saw a set of images on Facebook yesterday, by an a former student who describes herself as a "Professional Image Creator and Teacher", that had a number of technical issues in them. I told her about the lens distortion, lens flare, and over exposure at the edges of the frame and got the reply..."They were taken with my iPhone" (plus 3 of those 'crying with laughter' Emoji's).

Almost every personal or family-orientated image on social media will garner a "what a wonderful photo" response from friends and family. It doesn't matter how under-exposed, out of focus or devoid of extraneous limbs it may be. If a photo has an emotional connection to the photographer or viewer, it is likely to be considered "awesome" by someone, somewhere and anyone trying to alter that view will be considered an idiot, while simultaneously being blocked.

IMHO (social media speak for...I know what I'm talking about), Facebook and the like have done more to undervalue photography than any News / Media image pricing package deals that Alamy and Getty will ever do. The general viewer wouldn't know, or care, about a technically great photograph if they saw one. That's what's making those of us who pay our rent with a camera obsolete; and soon enough we'll all have to become Fashion Vloggers.

Wow, that's one pessimistic outlook you got going on there.

When it comes to social media, I don't think a great photo (technically) truly matters, depending on the platform.

Facebook, who is going to care about some flare? Generally they are consuming stuff from friends and family, or a brand they like. But it can still go the other way - a really nice photo can still get peoples attention.

Of course a mom/sister/friend/boyfriend/grildfriend will praise something awful - either for sentimental reasons of their own, or simply no to diss the person in question - it's why I never take input from family and friends.

Something like 500px or other social photo sharing network, technical excellence can really be appreciated.

Do professional photographers have a future? I truly believe so, as I am hoping to move in that direction. Am thinking long and hard about how to get there though. Working with the world as it is, rather than denigrating it for not being how it used to.