Edo in Sevilla . . .

Nothing stays the same unless you own a deserted island. Even then, all it takes is a hurricane. When we bought in Oklahoma City on a quiet cul de sac, there was a field behind our house. Loved it. Then about 10 years ago, a subdivision was built. Dust coated our property blown from tree removal, grading, etc for a couple of years. Next was kids kicking soccer balls over the fence, dogs barking, and the loss of privacy in our back yard.

There were many changes on our quiet street each time a homeowner sold, and someone from a different culture bought. Good people, just different.  So many cars that couldn’t fit in double car garages plus wide driveways, and pretty soon it was difficult to thread our way home. Loud parties, dances held in one garage and driveway to the point one dance in broad daylight killed our open house while we trying to sell. Nobody could get through all the parked cars and humongous trucks to get to our house! 

Not a single thing illegal, frightening or anything like that, but all of a sudden it was like a strange and noisy environment!  I’ll bet many of us could tell stories about changes not of our doing. Mine was mild, as those things go.  Ed’s was not a change alone, it was a disaster to his life. 

Stand firm with your block, Paulette.

I do miss those delicious tamales one neighbor gave us a couple of times. Never tasted better. They probably miss the apple pies I baked.

Betty

Thank you, Betty. You are very wise. Years ago I testified at hearings that resulted in the strengthening of regulations to preserve quiet in our apartments. It had become fashionable to have music in stores as well as restaurants so the quiet shoe store I had below me was giving me a steady bass beat ten hours a day. I actually made friends with the owner eventually and he moved his speakers around to give me relief. I know I am lucky to have my apartment and I think those noise regulations can help us now with this new threat.

Paulette

13 hours ago, NYCat said:

Thank you, Betty. You are very wise. Years ago I testified at hearings that resulted in the strengthening of regulations to preserve quiet in our apartments. It had become fashionable to have music in stores as well as restaurants so the quiet shoe store I had below me was giving me a steady bass beat ten hours a day. I actually made friends with the owner eventually and he moved his speakers around to give me relief. I know I am lucky to have my apartment and I think those noise regulations can help us now with this new threat.

Paulette

Yes, while in one’s home, he/she shouldn’t be bombarded with someone else’s noise. That was happening to us. Men tinkering with their autos in their driveway or in the street blasting salsa music, which warred with my quieter, self-contained country and western I preferred to listen to! :lol: 

• 3 weeks later...

Costs  Climate  Cuisine  Culture  Walkability  Stock Subjects

I've been waiting for things to settle into place before making comments, but that could be a long wait. So . . .

Seville is a lovely city, both historic and modern with an upbeat positive feeling about it. I’ve not experienced the punishing summer heat yet but this winter has been gentle and mild. As a location to shoot useful stock images, however, it has some serious limitations. If you look at what comes up for Seville, Spain in an Alamy search, more than half the pictures on the first pages are of the Plaza de Espana. Most of the other landmarks are Catholic Churches. I’m not religious but I was raised Irish Catholic and attended only Catholic schools, including some time at Catholic University in Washington, DC. Seville has an attractive Catholic Church on every corner.

Here’s my problem: I have some very good images of Saint Peter’s Basilica in Rome, the Mother of Churches, that I captured in 2008. So far I’ve not had a sale or a zoom on any of those images. ??? I will try to cover all the major landmarks here, of course, but I feel my time would be better spent finding Level B subjects.

Damn! I've lost 4 paragraphs in this post!!!

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Costs  Climate  Cuisine  Culture  Walkability  Stock Subjects

I've been waiting for things to settle into place before making comments, but that could be a long wait. So . . .

Seville is a lovely city, both historic and modern with an upbeat positive feeling about it. I’ve not experienced the punishing summer heat yet but this winter has been gentle and mild. As a location to shoot useful stock images, however, it has some serious limitations. If you look at what comes up for Seville, Spain in an Alamy search, more than half the pictures on the first pages are of the Plaza de Espana. Most of the other landmarks are Catholic Churches. I’m not religious but I was raised Irish Catholic and attended only Catholic schools, including some time at Catholic University in Washington, DC. Seville has an attractive Catholic Church on every corner.

Here’s my problem: I have some very good images of Saint Peter’s Basilica in Rome, the Mother of Churches, that I captured in 2008. So far I’ve not had a sale or a zoom on any of those images. ??? I will try to cover all the major landmarks here, of course, but I feel my time would be better spent finding Level B subjects.

Damn! I've lost 4 paragraphs in this post!!!

Are we being limited on number of words per post now?

Allan

Seville suffers from some of the same fate as Harris. The Plaza de Espana is so spectacular that it far outshines most other possible subjects for presentation in the same way that Harris Tweed is virtually the only subject going to be used to illustrate the Isle of Harris. So I think you are somewhat forced into Red Snappers approach to things. He doesn't really do Aberystwyth much but he manages to find lots of subject matter with which he is pretty successful. I don't think I have yet sold a shot specifically of my Suffolk village but I have sold a few nice "generic" shots. You want medieval oak beamed houses, you use Lavenham a few miles up the road. Great; saves us a lot of tourists poking their noses up against our windows. Back in the day, you probably didn't do a lot of Statue of Liberty or Brooklyn Bridge although you didn't totally ignore the NY skyline.

Glad to hear the climate is agreeable so far.

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Seville is a lovely city, both historic and modern with an upbeat positive feeling about it. I’ve not experienced the punishing summer heat yet but this winter has been gentle and mild. As a location to shoot useful stock images, however, it has some serious limitations.

Wait until you and your cameras have survived the Semana Santa. And the Feria.

I have seen neither in Seville btw.

If you value your hearing stay away from this one. I blame it for my tinnitus.

wim

In NYC, I didn't do events. I did try most years to shoot the Chinese New Year since I lived just two blocks from Chinatown. That never worked. Here, at least this year, I'll make an attempt at covering the biggies. I'm no longer a pro; I'm a retired pro. A semi-professional? 

Anyway, I don't shoot events or News. I shoot only common-access editorial subjects. That's the game I play. Doing that I am able to do something that is mental, physical, and creative . . . but not stressful.

😎

4 hours ago, wiskerke said:

wim

Tried the Fallas?

Daylight fireworks (mascletas). This is today's.

They put up a decibel meter on the TV feed.  It's quite loud.

Earplugs aren't too effective- the sound comes up  through the soles of the feet.

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

In NYC, I didn't do events. I did try most years to shoot the Chinese New Year since I lived just two blocks from Chinatown. That never worked. Here, at least this year, I'll make an attempt at covering the biggies. I'm no longer a pro; I'm a retired pro. A semi-professional? 

Anyway, I don't shoot events or News. I shoot only common-access editorial subjects. That's the game I play. Doing that I am able to do something that is mental, physical, and creative . . . but not stressful.

😎

How are your Montreal photos doing? I thought you captured some really good ones.

I think there are hand signs in our emoji's now. We may need them.

- No I had never heard of the Fallas de Valencia. Which is otherwise a good place though.

wim

5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

wim

I blame the music of the late 60's and 70's for my tinnitus. Now I listen to Bach and avoid noisy places. I even wear earplugs in crowded restaurants.

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

No sales on Montreal yet, John. There's one from San Miguel and a few from Rome and Seattle in the past year but most sales are still of NYC. 

The deep freeze will be over soon, so I think those Montreal sales will come. I had a Montreal one show up today along with several zooms during the past few days. I was impressed by how much ground you covered in such a short time. San Miguel is a tough one. The place is too darn photogenic. I do see the occasional sale from there, though.

I was in Montreal from mid-July until early October last year and had perfect weather. My ex-stepson is married to a lady from a Quebequa family who was one of the original fur-trading settlers. She is a terrific person. I taught Hanny to play the guitar when he was a kid and he became a well-known fusion bass player with a French-British group. 

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I blame the music of the late 60's and 70's for my tinnitus. Now I listen to Bach and avoid noisy places. I even wear earplugs in crowded restaurants.

Flents!

Wim

edit:https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41xx+h6re0L.SX500.jpg

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I was in Montreal from mid-July until early October last year and had perfect weather. My ex-stepson is married to a lady from a Quebequa family who was one of the original fur-trading settlers. She is a terrific person. I taught Hanny to play the guitar when he was a kid and he became a well-known fusion bass player with a French-British group. 

You did a lot in Montréal considering your uncertain situation at the time.

https://www.accuradio.com/?name=Classical Relaxation&b0=Classical&b1=Beautiful Music

This is what I have playing on my MacBook early in the morning and late at night, John. I don't do loud anymore. AccuRadio has endless variety and I take advantage of this if I'm on the computer during the day. I too love Bach, except for his (and all) organ music. Vivaldi is a more cheerful Barque composer . . . but then he's Italian. 

I'm going to moving over to Seville 2019 now.

Edo

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

https://www.accuradio.com/?name=Classical Relaxation&b0=Classical&b1=Beautiful Music

This is what I have playing on my MacBook early in the morning and late at night, John. I don't do loud anymore. AccuRadio has endless variety and I take advantage of this if I'm on the computer during the day. I too love Bach, except for his (and all) organ music. Vivaldi is a more cheerful Barque composer . . . but then he's Italian. 

Edo

Thanks for the link Edo. Just what I am needing at this time.

Allan

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Edo

I'm not a fan of organ music (too bombastic) either, including Johann's, but I do like Jimmy Smith. He had a real groove.

Archived