Edo in Sevilla . . .

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, finding a way to charge yet another fee seems the various States ways.  In nyc I had to go down and get a non-drivers ID. My passport was not considered valid ID anymore. But at least we didn’t have to do it in Spanish. 

In Kansas, also. I saw that my husband got a non-driver’s ID, too. It wasn’t mandatory, but useful if one wants to fly and for medical reasons. 

It's a Christmas movie after all ;-)

Wifi together with Google Translate on 4G may well save lots of Christmasses everywhere.

However to my anger my Google Translate didn't work in the Italian Cultural Institute in Madrid.

- Turned out later I had it still set to Japanese. Facepalm.

wim

On 12/21/2018 at 17:30, wiskerke said:

It's a Christmas movie after all ;-)

Wifi together with Google Translate on 4G may well save lots of Christmasses everywhere.

However to my anger my Google Translate didn't work in the Italian Cultural Institute in Madrid.

- Turned out later I had it still set to Japanese. Facepalm.

wim

I've just started to understand how to use iTranslate on my iPhone, an astonishing app. With that and Apple Maps, I plan to send the phone out without me. 

17 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I've just started to understand how to use iTranslate on my iPhone, an astonishing app. With that and Apple Maps, I plan to send the phone out without me. 

Google Translate on an iPhone. + here.

The free app in the App Store.

iTranslate does something similar, but not live. Which makes it slower.

I have not used the apps in direct conversation. But it seems to work well.

wim

• 5 weeks later...

The City

Seville center is about a mile wide from east to west and a bit more than that measured from north to south. My new helpful friend, Mz V, keeps trying to get me involved in the bus-pass system. However, like so many of the government run things here, it’s overly complicated. Anyway, I prefer to walk. And on those rare occasions, when I need to go a long way more quickly, I’ll take a taxi.

Faithful followers of my reluctant adventure will remember that I was looking for a locale with regard to Cost, Cuisine, Climate, Culture, Walkability, and Stock Photo Subjects. I’ll comment on each of these things in turn soon. 

Most of the news about Seville is good, but not all. I remember thinking that I wanted to be no more than a 10 to 15-minute walk from a simple restaurant or stores that carried basics. Where I am in Seville, at the southern tip of the Alameda de Hercules, there are about 25 restaurants that can be reached in less than five minutes. There are over 2,000 restaurants in the city. There’s a supermarket right across the street from the gate to my building, and the modern shopping area of Seville is just 12 minutes away walking. . . . 

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oxfordshire, where I lived in the '80s, has relatively mild winters. Seville is March should be nicer, Ian. Try not to pick your few days when it rains. 

Currently just above freezing here at the top of our hill. And enough snow in the garden for a snowball fight with the grandsons!

It sounds like you have a lot of the same convenience as living in Manhattan. I love being able to walk to everything I need. I also appreciate being able to have things delivered. I don't pick up my laundry when the weather is bad. For  small tip I can have them bring it to me.

Paulette

32 minutes ago, NYCat said:

It sounds like you have a lot of the same convenience as living in Manhattan. I love being able to walk to everything I need. I also appreciate being able to have things delivered. I don't pick up my laundry when the weather is bad. For  small tip I can have them bring it to me.

Paulette

I think most people in Europe do their own washing.

Believe it or not I would love to be able to do my own washing. No washer/dryer in my apartment or in the basement of my building. One BIG disadvantage for me. There used to be a laundromat close by but it is now a fancy dress shop. We have become too upscale for laundromats, alas. So a problem arises when a garment needs special care. So, yes, it is great to have laundry picked up and delivered but also can be very, very convenient to have one's own washing machine. Lucky you.

Paulette

13 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Believe it or not I would love to be able to do my own washing. No washer/dryer in my apartment or in the basement of my building. One BIG disadvantage for me. There used to be a laundromat close by but it is now a fancy dress shop. We have become too upscale for laundromats, alas. So a problem arises when a garment needs special care. So, yes, it is great to have laundry picked up and delivered but also can be very, very convenient to have one's own washing machine. Lucky you.

Paulette

Well the house did have three children in it for years so off-site washing would have been a bit of a drag, but most households here do have a machine. If you mean dry cleaning as well, that's becoming harder and more expensive as the various chemicals fall foul of environmental regulations. The agency in my local sub-post office used to do a suit for about £6, but it closed. Not that I wear many suits nowadays, just lodge meetings five times a year.

I still miss carbon tetrachloride cleaner (Dab-It-Off). That stuff really shifted stains.

Sorry, I'm rambling OT. Not even had a drink either.

In NYC I had neither a washer or dryer, so I used a "drop and dry." Tenants here have washers but no dryers. They hang their clothes on a clothesline on the roof to dry. But the washers are much more efficient. My washing comes out damp rather than wet. I hang things overnight in the bathroom and in the closet for one more day. I've not been up on my roof yet. 

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Well the house did have three children in it for years so off-site washing would have been a bit of a drag, but most households here do have a machine. If you mean dry cleaning as well, that's becoming harder and more expensive as the various chemicals fall foul of environmental regulations. The agency in my local sub-post office used to do a suit for about £6, but it closed. Not that I wear many suits nowadays, just lodge meetings five times a year.

I still miss carbon tetrachloride cleaner (Dab-It-Off). That stuff really shifted stains.

Sorry, I'm rambling OT. Not even had a drink either.

Carbon Tet is a carcinogenic compound and seriously unhealthy. An engineering firm I used to work for a long time ago had a cleaning machine which used CT. When I had to go near it I stopped breathing till past it.

Allan

11 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Carbon Tet is a carcinogenic compound and seriously unhealthy. An engineering firm I used to work for a long time ago had a cleaning machine which used CT. When I had to go near it I stopped breathing till past it.

Allan

Yes, I know it had to go, but boy did it clean. Isoprop isn't a patch on it.

I see that what finally did for it was mostly ozone depletion, not toxicity. The upside is that a lot of the things that caused the stains in the first place have been banned as well.:wacko:

I do occasionally use DCM as an adhesive for polycarbonates, but I'm very careful. I hope.

Archived