Subscription Sales?

1 hour ago, chris_rabe said:

Ah yes, but where to make that profit?

I am only just getting started listing photos - I did a little bit of MS, but the low returns put me off. I still do list stuff - just what I consider rubbish. If I make something from that, well fine.

I decided to go with Alamy, cause I felt they had the most lucrative approach, but this latest update feels ever so slightly like more of a push to MS - I could be wrong.

I have not listed my wildlife photos anywhere yet (mostly what I take) as I refuse to put my better stuff up for pennies. Getting into the dedicated wildlife agencies is tough. Wildlife doesn't seem to sell especially well on Alamy - doing some checks in their searches.

I have set up my own site, but that will take ages to even get traffic, if ever.

Just going to take perseverance for everyone I guess.

Volume requires a large and varied portfolio, which isn't cheap to shoot (even local pictures will have coast associated with them, petrol, kit, parking etc etc, plus the most valuable thing, TIME)

6 hours ago, York Photographer said:

An old Photographer, once said to me

Turnover is Vanity, Profit is Sanity!

I would amend that statement to say:

Price is Vanity, Profit is Sanity

In other words, I think price is irrelevant as long as you are making a good profit overall.

1 hour ago, Bill Brooks said:

In other words, I think price is irrelevant as long as you are making a good profit overall.

Single digit sales, regardless of how many you sell, only help subside the publisher

On 10/16/2018 at 15:34, rickboden said:

I read the topic on the new contract and the main concern seemed to be Alamy giving away images for free.  To be honest, that doesn't bother me so much as I'm sure it would be a small volume thing...unless Alamy is going to an advertising based model but I'm pretty confident that is not the case.

Instead what bothers me the most is the mention of "high volume, low unit sales" under item 9.1.  To me this is subscription sales and the reason I just started submitted my images in greater volume is that Alamy "doesn't" do, or didn't do subscriptions.  I cannot stand those dollar or less sales and to me it is the same as microstock.  Does anyone read this the same way as I do?  And do you find this as big an issue?

Thanks,

Rick Boden

This is clause 9.1 which corresponds to the Novel Use scheme (an optional, opt-in scheme that you can choose to be part of or not). This clause has essentially been part of the contract for 10 years, we've just re-worded it to make it clearer to cover those extremely rare cases where we may not make a charge when we supply images for certain things like proof of concept style projects (which can often lead to future sales). 

If you've got any other questions about this, please feel free to drop us an email: contributors@alamy.com

Cheers

Alamy

On 10/18/2018 at 08:13, Bill Brooks said:

Given the current wacky situation with prices being all over the place, I get your point (sort of). However, I think that being concerned about fairness is never a form of vanity, quite the opposite in fact. Fair prices benefit everyone in the long run.

On 10/19/2018 at 09:09, chris_rabe said:

I'd like to know why one can only opt out in Arpil... found that quite annoying

Along with it taking 6 months to delete a photo - truly, no sensible reason in my opinion for that.

Both those things piss me off, especially the length of time it takes to delete a pic.  Why?!  Doesn't make sense.

11 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Both those things piss me off, especially the length of time it takes to delete a pic.  Why?!  Doesn't make sense.

Hi everyone

We do this to keep the image collection stable as an unstable image collection is less attractive to our customers. 

We recommend emailing us if you have any further questions. 

Many thanks

Alamy 

12 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

I got 4 reds for stating a mathematically-correct equation! :D 

I didn't give you a red, but while mathematically correct, 500 sales at $1 is 10x more places for files to be stolen from than  10@50.

Still, I'm in the process of following up a misused (stolen) file which only has two sales ...

Archived