Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I read the topic on the new contract and the main concern seemed to be Alamy giving away images for free.  To be honest, that doesn't bother me so much as I'm sure it would be a small volume thing...unless Alamy is going to an advertising based model but I'm pretty confident that is not the case.

 

Instead what bothers me the most is the mention of "high volume, low unit sales" under item 9.1.  To me this is subscription sales and the reason I just started submitted my images in greater volume is that Alamy "doesn't" do, or didn't do subscriptions.  I cannot stand those dollar or less sales and to me it is the same as microstock.  Does anyone read this the same way as I do?  And do you find this as big an issue?

 

Thanks,

 

Rick Boden

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I've never had a sub $1 sale and I'll be very upset if I ever do.

I and many others netted under $1 on a bulk discount distributor sale in August (I had four, two netting 66c).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I and many others netted under $1 on a bulk discount distributor sale in August (I had four, two netting 66c).

Oh my days, I did not want to read that because $1 sales are a tragedy, always...

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, rickboden said:

Instead what bothers me the most is the mention of "high volume, low unit sales" under item 9.1.  To me this is subscription sales and the reason I just started submitted my images in greater volume is that Alamy "doesn't" do, or didn't do subscriptions.  I cannot stand those dollar or less sales and to me it is the same as microstock.  Does anyone read this the same way as I do? 

Not necessarily subscriptions as such, but certainly bulk discounts.

 

It has been mentioned in the forum several times in the past that the UKNS is, effectively, a subscription scheme, but of course we're not privy to the exact details.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Oh my days, I did not want to read that because $1 sales are a tragedy, always...

Don't know how you missed the thread in August. Here's a screenshot, these are gross prices of which I got 30% (so not two for 66c, sorry: it was 3 x 98c and 1x63c)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7042hzp3n0ikv2/AlamyLowPrices.jpg?dl=0

NB: these were NOT novel use.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Oh my days, I did not want to read that because $1 sales are a tragedy, always...

And there was a large batch of NU sales recently of which a couple were mine, for a similar value. Anger, incredulity followed by a deep swallow. It's not as if pulling out of the lower value schemes will force the customer to purchase at a higher value, they'll just buy someone else's. Lose, lose

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, rickboden said:

I read the topic on the new contract and the main concern seemed to be Alamy giving away images for free.  To be honest, that doesn't bother me so much as I'm sure it would be a small volume thing...unless Alamy is going to an advertising based model but I'm pretty confident that is not the case.

What makes you 'sure' and 'confident'? They may not, but they are certainly opening up that sort of possibility.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

What makes you 'sure' and 'confident'? They may not, but they are certainly opening up that sort of possibility.

 

Well, I can say I'm sure and confident they would lose most of their contributors.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I've never had a sub $1 sale and I'll be very upset if I ever do.

Oh you will, Oscar, you will...

Certainly net, gross a bit less likely, I've only ever had one and it was NU.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be clear, this is what I believe subscription sales are, and why they are so bad. I am happy to be corrected.

 

a. Well-heeled clients like ad agencies can buy the right to download a number of images for a set monthly price.  When an image is downloaded the photographer or artist gets a small percentage of the cut, which usually amounts to a dollar or so.

 

b. Since the purchaser can afford these monthly subscriptions they likely have higher end clients with money to spend for bigger media buys.

 

c. The idea of my photo being used in a billboard or advertisement where every other party makes good money while I make a dollar...drives me up a wall.

 

d.  Of course the stock agency gets their full share of the monthly subscription fee which is a great model for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rickboden said:

To be clear, this is what I believe subscription sales are, and why they are so bad. I am happy to be corrected.

 

a. Well-heeled clients like ad agencies can buy the right to download a number of images for a set monthly price.  When an image is downloaded the photographer or artist gets a small percentage of the cut, which usually amounts to a dollar or so.

 

b. Since the purchaser can afford these monthly subscriptions they likely have higher end clients with money to spend for bigger media buys.

 

c. The idea of my photo being used in a billboard or advertisement where every other party makes good money while I make a dollar...drives me up a wall.

 

d.  Of course the stock agency gets their full share of the monthly subscription fee which is a great model for them.

Agree totally, if this is indeed the reasoning behind this change then it is now the final leg of the rapid race to the bottom.

Edited by isphoto
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

Alamy is not an island. It has to adapt to the market. 

 

As far as I see it they are not actually saying that they are going down the subscription route but they do need to be flexible.

 

I have no RF and definitely no microstock images. I do hope that those photographers supplying RF microstock are not the ones complaining about low sales on Alamy.

Not that my lowly sales will matter to Alamy, but my main reason for staying with them has been that they did not do subscriptions sales and I had the option of not par-taking in the peanuts newspaper/novel scheme etc, this contract is now looking more like a dictate than a contract.

 

I was only looking at my average sales value per image yesterday and was smiling at how they appeared to be creeping back up and bucking the downward trend of the past few years. 30% up on this time last year.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

...and high volume low unit price licences.

 

Revising the contract to include this specific text is interesting. The old contract already allowed this, but now they have set the language into the contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Don't know how you missed the thread in August. Here's a screenshot, these are gross prices of which I got 30% (so not two for 66c, sorry: it was 3 x 98c and 1x63c)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7042hzp3n0ikv2/AlamyLowPrices.jpg?dl=0

NB: these were NOT novel use.

Bad memory - I mean really, really bad.

 

I'm surprised no one got 'The Office' reference - that's mental!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I started submitting to Alamy in 2003 but I stopped in 2006.  But I made a plan to start submitting again in earnest and have been doing so for about a week now and specifically Alamy because they didn't do subscriptions.  Thinking about it, if Alamy adopts this, I will likely continue submitting but now there will be nothing holding me back from sending the same files to other agencies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Sometimes the fear is overblown.

 

After all, 500 sales at $1 or 10 sales at $50 both = $500

 

We're talking about Alamy, here.  The chances are that editorial images will sell here multiple times, but over a period of years and at different price points.  Unless Alamy markedly changes its ethos and marketing, then you just won't get 500 x $1 sales.  You might get 1 x $1 sale, 1 x $10, 1 x $50 and 1 x $200.  The point being that there isn't the volume here to take account of lower value sales, so those ($10 and lower) merely take away from higher values.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, losdemas said:

 

We're talking about Alamy, here.  The chances are that editorial images will sell here multiple times, but over a period of years and at different price points.  Unless Alamy markedly changes its ethos and marketing, then you just won't get 500 x $1 sales.  You might get 1 x $1 sale, 1 x $10, 1 x $50 and 1 x $200.  The point being that there isn't the volume here to take account of lower value sales, so those ($10 and lower) merely take away from higher values.

 

I take your point. Mine was an extreme example.

 

Perhaps they're trying to tap into the small web-usage, repeat editorial market for those bulk buyers.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

 

After all, 500 sales at $1 or 10 sales at $50 both = $500

 

 

...and one = 500 images floating around waiting to be ripped off for nothing while the other = well, you do the math.

 

Alan

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, York Photographer said:


An old Photographer, once said to me

Turnover is Vanity, Profit is Sanity!

Ah yes, but where to make that profit?

 

I am only just getting started listing photos - I did a little bit of MS, but the low returns put me off. I still do list stuff - just what I consider rubbish. If I make something from that, well fine.

 

I decided to go with Alamy, cause I felt they had the most lucrative approach, but this latest update feels ever so slightly like more of a push to MS - I could be wrong.

 

I have not listed my wildlife photos anywhere yet (mostly what I take) as I refuse to put my better stuff up for pennies. Getting into the dedicated wildlife agencies is tough. Wildlife doesn't seem to sell especially well on Alamy - doing some checks in their searches.

 

I have set up my own site, but that will take ages to even get traffic, if ever.

 

Just going to take perseverance for everyone I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.