Jump to content
Alamy

AIM update notes - **Updated Jan 2019**

Recommended Posts

Great update and good future list on the way!

Thank you, Alamy team! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

 

Hi Wim,

 

Which OS and browser are you using? I'm using a Mac High Sierra with Google Chrome (not sure if this is factor). I do have my mouse sensitivity quite high (75mm sweep moves from one side of screen to the other) which is probably the main factor, but it's how I like it for most activities. Maybe I'll be forced to turn it down. AIM does seem to be remarkably sensitive in this respect.

 

Mark

 

FF on Win10. Everything is absolutely default on this laptop. No mouse, just a regular touchpad.

 

wim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new look and features look good. Just one thought... In addition to informing us how many pix we are working on at once, could we have, say, a blue bar for when we're working on just one pic... with the bar turning to red, say, when there's multiple pix selected. It's easier to register a colour than to read a number...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's great. I've just tidied up all my "not on sales". Some of them had been hanging around for 18 months. It's much easier now. Might go back to some of the old stuff that doesn't turn up much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2018 at 16:58, Phil Crean said:

Future improvements includes this:

"Improvements to messaging throughout the AIM pages"

 

Messaging who? Other contributors? Alamy? Aliens?;)

 

Phil

 

I think this is probably a technical software engineering improvement and is about the messages that are passed internally around AIM between its components, and between client and server, to keep everything in sync. Better messaging means a more responsive UI so less waiting for it to do stuff in the background.

 

Still an important improvement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

 

I think this is probably a technical software engineering improvement and is about the messages that are passed internally around AIM between its components, and between client and server, to keep everything in sync. Better messaging means a more responsive UI so less waiting for it to do stuff in the background.

 

Still an important improvement.

I never even knew such a thing existed! <_< notageek.com:D

Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phil Crean said:

I never even knew such a thing existed! <_< notageek.com:D

Phil

I guess I was a geek (before the term was invented), then I managed geeks but I am no longer a geek! :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First post here, so firstly I'll say hello, world: Nice to meet you all.

 

These changes sound good. If I might submit a personal plea: Please allow us to get to and use original filenames whenever possible. I and I suspect a lot of other digital photographers are in IT, and you'd be amazed how many organisational tasks can be automated or otherwise made easier with a simple text list of file names. It's a real weak spot with all photo sites of which I'm aware.

 

I'd also go a bit geeky and mention "regular expressions". These won't mean a lot to anyone who's not in IT, but they are available with very little effort to your developers in web languages like PHP and they are REALLY powerful. Those who can use them can do a lot with them, and it could save you a lot of server load as complicated series of operations will become easy on the client side.

 

Okay, that's enough gibberish. Thanks for the improvements.

All the best...

Elliott in Switzerland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see it mentioned in the 'to do' list, but the location automation hasn't worked for three or four days now. Is it for the chop or is it an issue? @Alamy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Avpics said:

I don't see it mentioned in the 'to do' list, but the location automation hasn't worked for three or four days now. Is it for the chop or is it an issue? @Alamy

That's what I was wondering.  The predictive location was really useful.  Hopefully it'll come back... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I can manage without the automatic location suggestor - it gave me more confidence I didn't end up with a typo.  The return of this feature would be most welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Although I can manage without the automatic location suggestor - it gave me more confidence I didn't end up with a typo.  The return of this feature would be most welcome.

But please make it optional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cryptoprocta said:

But please make it optional.

I think it always was.  The suggestions provided can easily be ignored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reimar said:

I think it always was.  The suggestions provided can easily be ignored.

Oh, you're right. :wacko:

I know what you mean about spelling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I think it always was.  The suggestions provided can easily be ignored.

I kind of assumed that the fact it was there, like the categories, meant that at some point in the future it would be searchable or appear in the advanced search options, otherwise why is it there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Avpics said:

I kind of assumed that the fact it was there, like the categories, meant that at some point in the future it would be searchable or appear in the advanced search options, otherwise why is it there?

The location used to be searchable, as did our name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should have mentioned this before rather than making a second post, but most of my pictures are GPS-tagged. I don't think the location is picked up consistently, although of course I can't check now it's not working at all. Anything that can be automated is a big win, so this is important to me and, presumably, anyone who does GPS-tagging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

The location used to be searchable, as did our name.

 

To add to the confusion, the location is searchable from AIM but not from the search bar on the main page. I got caught and confused a couple of times.

 

Gen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always add the location as a search term anyway, but I wondered whether the Google maps 'app' would allow someone to stick a pin in the area of interest and bring up images near that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I always add the location as a search term anyway, but I wondered whether the Google maps 'app' would allow someone to stick a pin in the area of interest and bring up images near that point.

 

So do I but there are situations where I do not want the location to be searchable, so I add it in the optional field as information for the buyer.

For example if it's a pic of a bird or a flower, I do not want them to appear if the buyer is searching for an image of the town itself. 

 

Gen

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope they bring it back as I found it especially useful when typing names that were exceptionally long.

 

Carol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gvallee said:

 

To add to the confusion, the location is searchable from AIM but not from the search bar on the main page. I got caught and confused a couple of times.

 

Gen

 

15 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

The location used to be searchable, as did our name.

Ooops, I was wrong. It just took me ages to work out why two of my files had shown up wrongly in a particular location search. But that was because I was only checking the 'Mandatory' tab, where the incorrect location didn't appear. Just before I was going to post a question, I discovered that I had wrongly put the wrong location (I guess I must have done a mass location and included these files incorrectly).

Anyway, bottom line is that the location in AIM's optional tab is now searchable again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Anyway, bottom line is that the location in AIM's optional tab is now searchable again.

 

No, this is incorrect. The location in AIM option tab has always been searchable IN AIM search tab since its inception.

 

However, as I said, if you perform a search on location from the search bar in the home page (i.e. like a client), it won't be picked up. This is the scenario where location is only entered in the AIM location field and is not in tags or caption.

 

For example, my PTYDDK. 

Location Millmerran is only in the option tab. Nowhere else.

Do a search for say 'red hat millmerran'. My pic won't appear.

 

I e-mailed Alamy twice about it (because I had forgotten this quirk first time round) and they confirmed that it's how it works.

 

Hope it's clear, I'm not very good at explaining.

 

Gen

 

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, gvallee said:

 

No, this is incorrect. The location in AIM option tab has always been searchable IN AIM search tab since its inception.

 

However, as I said, if you perform a search on location from the search bar in the home page (i.e. like a client), it won't be picked up. This is the scenario where location is only entered in the AIM location field and is not in tags or caption.

 

For example, my PTYDDK. 

Location Millmerran is only in the option tab. Nowhere else.

Do a search for say 'red hat millmerran'. My pic won't appear.

 

I e-mailed Alamy twice about it (because I had forgotten this quirk first time round) and they confirmed that it's how it works.

 

Hope it's clear, I'm not very good at explaining.

 

Gen

 

So basically if you want a location to be searchable you need to put it in as a tag?  If this is so, why bother putting it in the "Optional" location at all?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.