Alamy

AIM update notes - Oct 2018

5 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Hi Wim,

Which OS and browser are you using? I'm using a Mac High Sierra with Google Chrome (not sure if this is factor). I do have my mouse sensitivity quite high (75mm sweep moves from one side of screen to the other) which is probably the main factor, but it's how I like it for most activities. Maybe I'll be forced to turn it down. AIM does seem to be remarkably sensitive in this respect.

Mark

FF on Win10. Everything is absolutely default on this laptop. No mouse, just a regular touchpad.

wim

The new look and features look good. Just one thought... In addition to informing us how many pix we are working on at once, could we have, say, a blue bar for when we're working on just one pic... with the bar turning to red, say, when there's multiple pix selected. It's easier to register a colour than to read a number...

It's great. I've just tidied up all my "not on sales". Some of them had been hanging around for 18 months. It's much easier now. Might go back to some of the old stuff that doesn't turn up much.

On 10/10/2018 at 16:58, Phil Crean said:

Future improvements includes this:

"Improvements to messaging throughout the AIM pages"

Messaging who? Other contributors? Alamy? Aliens?;)

Phil

I think this is probably a technical software engineering improvement and is about the messages that are passed internally around AIM between its components, and between client and server, to keep everything in sync. Better messaging means a more responsive UI so less waiting for it to do stuff in the background.

Still an important improvement.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

I think this is probably a technical software engineering improvement and is about the messages that are passed internally around AIM between its components, and between client and server, to keep everything in sync. Better messaging means a more responsive UI so less waiting for it to do stuff in the background.

Still an important improvement.

I never even knew such a thing existed! <_< notageek.com:D

Phil

1 hour ago, Phil Crean said:

I never even knew such a thing existed! <_< notageek.com:D

Phil

I guess I was a geek (before the term was invented), then I managed geeks but I am no longer a geek! :D

• Like 1

First post here, so firstly I'll say hello, world: Nice to meet you all.

These changes sound good. If I might submit a personal plea: Please allow us to get to and use original filenames whenever possible. I and I suspect a lot of other digital photographers are in IT, and you'd be amazed how many organisational tasks can be automated or otherwise made easier with a simple text list of file names. It's a real weak spot with all photo sites of which I'm aware.

I'd also go a bit geeky and mention "regular expressions". These won't mean a lot to anyone who's not in IT, but they are available with very little effort to your developers in web languages like PHP and they are REALLY powerful. Those who can use them can do a lot with them, and it could save you a lot of server load as complicated series of operations will become easy on the client side.

Okay, that's enough gibberish. Thanks for the improvements.

All the best...

Elliott in Switzerland