I'm just fascinated by your avatar. What IS it? I've seen improvement personally but I think it is probably just a reflection of my own improvement in photography, processing, keywording. At least I'm not falling backwards. So far.

Paulette

A) It's the head and compound eye of a fly - and very good too.

B) That's interesting stuff, but a graph of Alamy turnover would be the real clincher. The best statistic we have for measuring trends is our own income per image, so it would be very interesting to see if our graph corresponds to Alamy's.

Thanks for the work, though, the trends are useful to know.

(Edit - the sarcastic face was supposed to be a 'B' followed by a ' ) ' but was corrected by the automatic face-checker.)

(Edit 2 - check out David's amazing chicken photos!)

Edited by Phil Robinson

Thanks David,

Your presentation was worth the time it took to read.

I also appreciate that you use the term "license" and

not sell.

Chuck

LOVE the chickens. Chickens can be amazing.

Paulette

Well spotted, Phil, and thanks Paulette and Phil for the comments on my photos.

not sell.

You've trained us well, Chuck! (Some of us, anyway.)

Well spotted, Phil, and thanks Paulette and Phil for the comments on my photos.

not sell.

You've trained us well, Chuck! (Some of us, anyway.)

I'm sold, but not totally on statistics. They usually tell only part of the story. Impressive number-crunching, though. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Great stuff. I've been working on a number of packages following trends with other agencies of late and due to move on to the zooms / views of Alamy. Interesting to see the steady increase in pages of search results each month, positive. 

I took a look at the data specifically to my account. My initial findings suggested that it would be tricky to tie zooms to sales. I'm going to sit down a draw up a list of things that could be tracked using the data they provide.

I've found the data collected for other agencies really useful for targeting subject matter and best agencies etc. Will follow / add to this thread over time!

Fantastic write-up. Thanks for taking the time. Your next job, the worlds economy :) 

I jest on the last part of course, but in the event of you wondering "Was it really worth it" then as a newbie I'd say this was valuable information. 

Sometimes the numbers don't lie, however, I bet you'd love to have been given better data to work with. I don't doubt AoA is useful and I've used it many times, but I heard that it's only figures based on registered customers, so the numbers may be more positive or negative based on a truer account of whose searching and buying. That info, I imagine, will be kept under lock and key. 

Excellent stuff and thanks for sharing. I'm no statistician but what you say seems to make sense. 

I would love a synopsis of what this means in really simple terms for those of us who are only photographers - my concerns about all of the analysis that goes on is that it can only be as good as the figures which are available and

Alamy's figures are based on selected samples of registered customers, and as you know, when you start being selective, skewing can be introduced - this may of course be accidental or intentional.

I am truly impressed with the time and trouble that you have all taken, but I stick to my own analysis of what is happening to my own accounts - and put simply that is pretty dire. I have no intention of 'running just to stay in place' by upping my contribution rate - rather preferring the targeted response, to producing a large numbers of 'maybe' images further diluting a massively oversubscribed pool. I shall not be visiting tourist 'hot-spots' and asking other contributors for advice on the must-see spots.........

Sorry to intrude (you ask us not to) but I'm not totally opposed to nerdery and figure loving - and it is an open forum after all......

Edited by DavidC

Thanks for the work you put in and it is interesting although not precise due to all figures not being available to you.

What I would get out of the trends is that Alamy is increasing it's page views and therefore probably it's sales but as individual photographers we are getting less (according to many of the forum posts).

Like David I don't see the point of increasing my work rate to stay still. Think smarter rather than work harder :)

I would love a synopsis of what this means in really simple terms for those of us who are only photographers - my concerns about all of the analysis that goes on is that it can only be as good as the figures which are available and

Alamy's figures are based on selected samples of registered customers, and as you know, when you start being selective, skewing can be introduced - this may of course be accidental or intentional.

Sorry to intrude (you ask us not to)

I don't see any reason to apologize--a healthy skepticism is important whenever one encounters statistics, and you (and Alex, among others) are right: there are some potentially significant unknowns in the available data. My "analysis" (if you can call it that) seems to confirm what most of us suspect, but if anything, that warrants greater skepticism: they don't call it confirmation bias for nothing.

Love a good stats trawl: meaningless or not, I Iove a good few graphs to be sceptical about!  Thanks for all your efforts.  All interesting stuff: not sure if I could come up with anything meaningful though - beyond what you have already said, without making wild guesses and assumptions.  Shame that we can't have the full figures, eh?  But it would probably not be a good idea to be throwing that info around publicly, eh?!

Keep up the good work - look forward to future updates. :)

Edited by losdemas