I have sales that remain uncleared since c June 2018...do some customers have credit lines?  I would have expected Alamy to demand payment upfront, especially when these are relatively small amounts?  

Alamy is a traditional photo agency and many clients will be buying on account, hence the delay before payments clear. Small amounts does not necessarily equate to small customer. Where the small amounts are newspaper sales it can take quite a while for the payment to roll in (several months sometimes)  and you will often see batches of payments clear towards the end of the month. However, even when a sale is made through the website and payment is made by the customer up-front, Alamy still operates a 45 day clearance period.

23 minutes ago, Barking said:

I have sales that remain uncleared since c June 2018...do some customers have credit lines?  I would have expected Alamy to demand payment upfront, especially when these are relatively small amounts?  

I have sales still 'uncleared' from APRIL 2018! I have been on to Alamy about this several times. All they say is that their 'credit control team' are working on it! Completely unacceptable IMO. Especially as these sales are UK press not via distributor.

21 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I've just received payment today for a sale made in January.  I don't fret about it, after all Alamy are losing money as well so I just let them get on with it while I carry on taking photos.

I don't 'fret' about it either - that doesn't mean to say that it's acceptable. I'm not really in a position to give Rupert Murdoch and other multi-millionaire publishers an interest-free loan at the moment!

21 minutes ago, ManWay said:

I don't 'fret' about it either - that doesn't mean to say that it's acceptable. I'm not really in a position to give Rupert Murdoch and other multi-millionaire publishers an interest-free loan at the moment!

I'm still waiting for payment for 2 sales for $$$ each made in Feb!!!  Whenever I contact Alamy about it I always get 'we're working on it'.  Absolutely unacceptable!  Being self-employed, I need that money now, not months down the line!!!

43 minutes ago, Sally said:

Having recently posted here about waiting, my cleared balance jumped from $-6 to $384 overnight! Looks like The Times and The Sun have settled up.

Yes same here Sally. Good news at last.

45 minutes ago, Sally said:

Having recently posted here about waiting, my cleared balance jumped from $-6 to $384 overnight! Looks like The Times and The Sun have settled up.

Yes, me too...though I doubt it will even pay for a cup of coffee...perhaps someone from Alamy reads these threads after all!!! :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So I need to head up this thread again.

It looks like (no, it's absolutely) a major problem for every photographers here. We, the loyal contributors put believe in Alamy to take care our photos sale.

I personally do like Alamy more than those famous microstocks out there. So I don't have any big doubts to put 95% of my photos in here.

We do very happy when there is/are sale(s) popped out on our dashboard.

About the sale, it's still not like you all. Mine still very few but I'm happy because it's so worth the long hours keywording and uploading.

In 2018, I got more sales than years ago. Of course I saw bright prospect if I stay with Alamy for long term investment.

But the prob is... the wait for clear balance like forever.

I do remember some times ago when I found one of my sold image was already shown in a web article. The balance was still unclear, so I tried to contact the writer just to make sure he/she made transaction with Alamy. You know what... maybe there's insider reported what I did, then Alamy emailed me about my contract breach. Well... okay.. I admitted that was my fault and would never do that again in the future.

But I did it because my money is still in void without any details.

And I found out they said it takes 3 months to clear the balance. Okay, I will wait..

That's yesterday story. Now, it happened again, and it already passed 3 months!

I read about your same conditions. Some of you still unclear for more than 5 months, even year. How come this can be?

It doesn't mean it's acceptable at all.

As a big company, I believe Alamy is fair and will professionally handle this kind of recurring problems in no time soon.

Sorry, English is not my main language.

Thanks

On 10/4/2018 at 12:24, Colblimp said:

I'm still waiting for payment for 2 sales for $$$ each made in Feb!!!  Whenever I contact Alamy about it I always get 'we're working on it'.  Absolutely unacceptable!  Being self-employed, I need that money now, not months down the line!!!

Still waiting...

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

Still waiting...

I am not sure if https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/20/contents         is relevant here - I have not read the whole it is winter and I have better things to do with what little energy I have.

I know there are also movements to change a voluntary late payment agreement into law with various small business and self-employed groups campaigning about it.

Random thought.

Alamy licence (rent) your product for which they agree to pay you a percentage of the licence.

If after a reasonable time (6 months being very generous) would your percentage be a debt owed to you by Alamy regardless of them being fully paid or not. 

Outcome in a small claims court might interesting. 

• 2 months later...
On 05/01/2019 at 19:47, aphperspective said:

Random thought.

Alamy licence (rent) your product for which they agree to pay you a percentage of the licence.

If after a reasonable time (6 months being very generous) would your percentage be a debt owed to you by Alamy regardless of them being fully paid or not. 

Outcome in a small claims court might interesting. 

No.

Alamy is the agent. If it isn't paid, it doesn't owe you.

2 hours ago, aphperspective said:

I had a credit on my account from Alamy  today "adjustment in your favour" $0.01. Very decent of them.😃

Got one of those as well!

Just checked for uncleared sales, I've got a distributor sale in Brazil from November 2017, small amount, not holding my breath! 🙄

Archived