Lighting – recommendations

Depending on how big your subject matter is in your "indoor photography", lighting solutions will differ significantly... Generally, electronic flashes will allow for much more flexibility.. Alien Bees are vary capable and inexpensive. Plus light modifiers.. 

GI

19 hours ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

I'm considering getting a light source of some sort for indoor photography, something not too expensive. So far I've looked at Manfrotto and Rotolight LED lamps. Any recommendations/opinions?

For stills you get much more "power" from a strobe/flash. If you are doing video then you need a constant light source such as a LED lamp.

I see the cost of an Rotolight LED is around $400.00, this amount is enough to get a couple small strobe lights, stands and simple modifiers. Modern digital cameras have good high ISO performance so you don't need a lot of power.

Here are some resources for you.

dpreview - Studio and Lighting Technique

Lighting Rumours

FLASHHAVOC.com

Godox strobes are popular and are a good value (not sure in UK). I use their AD200 daily (work days) for over a year and they have be fantastic. Bear Bulb is a must for me and it was a deciding factor when I chose the Godox AD200 but they are on the pricey side.

Hope this helps,

David

Advantage with LED constant light source is you can see what you get as you set up.

With strobes you may have to adjust positioning after the first shot/shots to get the lighting effect you want.

Just saying. No I do not have an indoor set up YET.;)

Allan

11 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Advantage with LED constant light source is you can see what you get as you set up.

That was what I was thinking initially. I've got a Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT already, but haven't used it much for precisely that reason.

44 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

With strobes you may have to adjust positioning after the first shot/shots to get the lighting effect you want.

Allan

Studio strobes include a modeling light.

GI

1 hour ago, giphotostock said:

Studio strobes include a modeling light.

GI

I think we were talking small flash not studio.

Allan

I use these: wait, will find again.

Sorry, the link I used took one to my own order page, so I had to delete. When I clicked the reorder button to check them out, they were out of stock. 

They are PBL studio/video lighting kit. Says LED but then it shows fluorescents. And they are fluorescent, but sunlight balanced. They come with two stands and soft boxes. Two coiled fluorescent bulbs. A steady light source. I also ordered an inexpensive light tent. The whole setup including light tent cost me $100 or so on Amazon.

Used them for jewelry, product and cooked food. 

I need to get them set back up after the move.

Betty

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I have use a VERY bright (4200 lumen) LED flashlight indoors for supplemental fill by bouncing it off ceilings and walls.

HXAG0569_WEB.jpg

I have also used it for light painting and as a normal flashlight... You do need someone to hold it as it does not have a stand mount.

HXAG0493_WEB.jpg

Here is what I have used Fenix LD75C

As an aside, I just wasted 30 minutes trying to post example images without any luck. First from Alamy and then images hosted on my web site... What's the trick?

1 hour ago, dlmphotog said:

I have use a VERY bright (4200 lumen) LED flashlight indoors for supplemental fill by bouncing it off ceilings and walls.

I have also used it for light painting and as a normal flashlight... You do need someone to hold it as it does not have a stand mount.

Here is what I have used Fenix LD75C

As an aside, I just wasted 30 minutes trying to post example images without any luck. First from Alamy and then images hosted on my web site... What's the trick?

You could gaffer-tape it, but £195 for a torch?? What else does it do? Cook the dinner:wacko:

You can drag-and-drop from the Alamy page, or right-click and copy and paste image location from AIM.

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I use these: wait, will find again.

Sorry, the link I used took one to my own order page, so I had to delete. When I clicked the reorder button to check them out, they were out of stock. 

They are PBL studio/video lighting kit. Says LED but then it shows fluorescents. And they are fluorescent, but sunlight balanced. They come with two stands and soft boxes. Two coiled fluorescent bulbs. A steady light source. I also ordered an inexpensive light tent. The whole setup including light tent cost me $100 or so on Amazon.

That looks good; very affordable too.

2 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

To post images I just drag and drop. If that doesn't work you can right click on the image and choose Save Image URL, then paste it into the forum message.

It was my privacy setting on my browser... :wacko:

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

You could gaffer-tape it, but £195 for a torch?? What else does it do? Cook the dinner:wacko:

It also has RED, GREEN and BLUE colored output.

It is pricey but I'm a flashlight nerd :)

Archived