What sale are you most surprised by?

chris_rabe

I'm still waiting on a sale here, but I was curious as to what the most surprising sale you had was?

So a photo of something fairly generic or that isn't particularly wonderful, which either sold for loads, or has sold repeatedly very often.

I do have one microstock photo somewhere of a small waterfall in Costa Rica taken on a 12mpx compact. Nothing special, but it sells more than any other photo I have listed - normally for very small amounts.

Be great if you could include the image, but not essential :) 

What a brilliant idea for a thread - this could really help newbies to the stock scene get ideas about what is worth taking a picture of.  I am sure we all of us every day see things like the half eaten sandwichs without realising they are potential sellers.

1 hour ago, chris_rabe said:

Well, it does have people in it :D

Where is it?

Mouseover says Snowdon.

Colin's rightly very self-critical, but that's a perfectly decent Nat Geog- type pic. Not front cover (although with a portrait crop and all the sliders up to 11, maybe) but a good illustration of, for example, that dreaded "concept" of a spot worn out by tourists.

It jumps off the page at me, anyway, but then I like concrete, so what do I know.;)

8 hours ago, Colin Woods said:
1 hour ago, chris_rabe said:

Well, it does have people in it :D

Where is it?

This one, because it's bloody awful. It is one of the very first photos I uploaded here and it doesn't have a single redeeming feature. 

You can find out where it was taken by doing a search on the image ID. It was taken on top of Snowdon. I don't think it is surprising that it sold as it illustrates some interesting things - overcrowding in a British National Park for one thing. It is certainly not Colin's most aesthetically attractive picture of which he has many but it illustrates that image quality and aesthetic value are secondary to basic content in many cases. EDIT - posted at same time as spacecadet who says similar.

I don't understand why somebody is dishing out red arrows for seemingly innocuous posts - ???

6 minutes ago, MDM said:

You can find out where it was taken by doing a search on the image ID.

Does mouseover not work for everyone? I get the Alamy caption at the bottom of the screen in FF. It only works with pix copied from the Alamy page, not from AIM.

16 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

It was a surprise for me too... to find a bloke with a camera in the loo...

There are all kinds of strange people hanging out in the mens toilets John :lol: .
I was locking up an old building where I used to work, I'm not sure that I would have been brave enough to take the photo and risk somebody walking in on me mid shot :lol:

Yes, its the top of Snowdon, which is a mountain in North Wales (Snowdonia) for anyone not from the UK. Its a lovely area. Snowdon is its highest peak and it has some really great routes to the top. It also, sadly, has a train which means that on top you are greeted by mobs of people just off the train, often dressed in town clothes. The photo does illustrate that but the exposure is so poor (this was pre monitor calibration days) and it just looks bad. But, as has often been said, this is stock not art. One day I'll get back and redo it properly.

18 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

Yes, its the top of Snowdon, which is a mountain in North Wales (Snowdonia) for anyone not from the UK. Its a lovely area. Snowdon is its highest peak and it has some really great routes to the top. It also, sadly, has a train which means that on top you are greeted by mobs of people just off the train, often dressed in town clothes. The photo does illustrate that but the exposure is so poor (this was pre monitor calibration days) and it just looks bad. But, as has often been said, this is stock not art. One day I'll get back and redo it properly.

It could look good as a monochrome silhouette. 

I don’t think the tablet scrolling theory works nowadays because of the way you have to click on the heart and then consciously select up or down vote. 

46 minutes ago, chris_rabe said:

I still want to get to Snowdonia. I'm actually delighted to hear there is a train

Its gorgeous there. Go via the Crib Goch, second only to Glencoe's Aonach Eogach, for grand day out. The day after have a look at the north ridge of Tryfan. Unless you have vertigo, in which case don't go via Crib Goch or on the north ridge of Tryfan. 

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Mouseover says Snowdon.

Colin's rightly very self-critical, but that's a perfectly decent Nat Geog- type pic. Not front cover (although with a portrait crop and all the sliders up to 11, maybe) but a good illustration of, for example, that dreaded "concept" of a spot worn out by tourists.

It jumps off the page at me, anyway, but then I like concrete, so what do I know.;)

Who gave me a red for that? Somebody who doesn't like concrete??

18 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Who gave me a red for that? Somebody who doesn't like concrete??

Gave another green one because there is nothing wrong in what you posted.

Allan

(Unofficial forum moderator)

Archived