Your latest DACS news: Payback royalties coming your way!

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

There is a time lag with Alamy doing it. it will show up in your account balance.

Paulette

Hi Pauline.

Thank you for your advice.

I’ve checked and nothing appears yet.

Maybe my sales are very low that’s why .

I’ll contact to Alamy in one or two weeks.

8 hours ago, Young said:

Hi Pauline.

Thank you for your advice.

I’ve checked and nothing appears yet.

Maybe my sales are very low that’s why .

I’ll contact to Alamy in one or two weeks.

I don't have mine yet either. I'd wait until someone reports they have received theirs from Alamy. If you haven't at that point contact them.

Paulette

4 hours ago, funkyworm said:

I thought Dacs and Pictoright had an agreement in place that made that possible for the Dutch moneys. Whether that will still be around after 29th March is another question.

I have not seen anything regarding Alamy claiming on the Dutch scheme, though that might be because I have not authorised Alamy to make any claims on my behalf.  

DACS have advised that "....we will be entering a German PLR scheme next year,"

On 10/8/2018 at 09:50, ManWay said:

Hi John, Thanks for that. Yes they got straight back to me today too - got to admire the efficiency of all at DACS. My problem same as yours - tax status. Hope I've cleared up the issue now and, as you say, they still have some money left for us!!!!

The DACS payment landed in my bank account today (15 Oct.) as promised. It's down about 10% from last year, but still very helpful.

Too bad I've already spent it (as usual). B)

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Most of the money comes from licences that education institutions, libraries, businesses, hospitals and so on pay so that they can photocopy copyrighted materials.

Don't other countries have similar systems or don't education institutions etc have to have licences in US and elsewhere?

If US and other countries don't want to share such revenues then the question has to be asked about why the UK does this when nobody else does?

This links to the Copyright Licensing Agency

Canada has something similar called Access Copyright. The application process is complicated, though.

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

So why don't we all get a share? 

I'm all in favour of internationalism but it seems that UK is being far more generous than any other country towards other nationalities. 

You may be correct there. You have to be a Canadian citizen to apply for affiliation with Access Copyright (see my post above).

Don't know what the sign-up requirement are for the US societies.

God save the queen! :D

18 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Yet again it seems like we in UK are being taken as fools. Or more accurately are being stupid.

Didn't mean to imply that. I actually think that DACS has the taken the high ground, which is increasingly rare these days.

22 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

It would be to the advantage of UK photographers if DACS followed the same 'low ground' of other countries and kept their money to themselves.

After all it is UK taxpayers money that you are all happily accepting while not sharing yours with us. 

No wonder payments go down year after year with agencies muscling and DACS feeding the world.

I didn't realize it was all mine. In that case, I'd be happy to share a slice of the pie. B)

BTW, I tried to apply to Access Copyright a couple of years ago and gave up. I've only been collecting through DACS.

You're probably correct about UK photographers getting the short end. Guess you had better give DACS a good talking to. 

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I didn't realize it was all mine. In that case, I'd be happy to share a slice of the pie. B)

BTW, I tried to apply to Access Copyright a couple of years ago and gave up. I've only been collecting through DACS.

You're probably correct about UK photographers getting the short end. Guess you had better give DACS a good talking to. 

31 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

It would be to the advantage of UK photographers if DACS followed the same 'low ground' of other countries and kept their money to themselves.

After all it is UK taxpayers money that you are all happily accepting while not sharing yours with us. 

No wonder payments go down year after year with agencies muscling and DACS feeding the world.

Prefer the high ground, myself.  Would be better if all collecting societies acted in a similar manner to DACS for the mutual benefit of all, rather then DACS getting more insular.

29 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Prefer the high ground, myself.  Would be better if all collecting societies acted in a similar manner to DACS for the mutual benefit of all, rather then DACS getting more insular.

That would be my preference as well. However, I can certainly understand why UK photographers might be upset with the shrinking payouts.

1 hour ago, Niels Quist said:

Just received my $115.29 DACS payment via Alamy :)

Mine too, for slightly less than your figure. Previous years have been far less which is why I've decided to leave Alamy to do the work. Now I may have to reconsider.

Just had my first ever DACS payment via Alamy. Not very much, but suggests I should do it myself next year if I can work out how. Is there a deadline for letting Alamy know you’ll do it yourself?

2 minutes ago, Sally said:

Just had my first ever DACS payment via Alamy. Not very much, but suggests I should do it myself next year if I can work out how. Is there a deadline for letting Alamy know you’ll do it yourself?

Just opt out now so you don't forget.

I have to confess I'm somewhat ignorant about how Alamy/Dacs works. How does Alamy know how much each contributor is to be paid. Do they have details of each image used, or is a general pot shared amongst all contributor on some basis or another?

I'm currently contracted in - i.e. I let Alamy do it - but I've heard nothing from them so far this year.

Thanks for any feedback.

Russell

4 hours ago, Russell said:

I have to confess I'm somewhat ignorant about how Alamy/Dacs works. How does Alamy know how much each contributor is to be paid. Do they have details of each image used, or is a general pot shared amongst all contributor on some basis or another?

I'm currently contracted in - i.e. I let Alamy do it - but I've heard nothing from them so far this year.

Thanks for any feedback.

Russell

Yes, and Alamy have more details than you do. You are only paid for your own images (too bad, though ;)) and only for certain uses in the UK. The first year they found a greater amount for me than I did myself. Perhaps also due to missing information available to us on RF images. I also think the work is time consuming (aware that some who do it themselves don't think so). And in that case 50% plus expenses can be yours instead. But I like my way.

Niels - the lazy one

8 minutes ago, Russell said:

I have to confess I'm somewhat ignorant about how Alamy/Dacs works....

https://www.dacs.org.uk/for-artists/payback/frequently-asked-questions#FAQ236

How it works is fairly straightforward, but finding the information is what puts me off. We're indebted to the eagle-eyed forum members that report finding Alamy images but even then it's a tiny proportion of those that get used. I fear that if I claimed from the small proportion of uses that I know the details of then the amount I'd get paid would be smaller than that I receive from Alamy - and that for additional work that I'd put in making the claim.

4 minutes ago, Avpics said:

https://www.dacs.org.uk/for-artists/payback/frequently-asked-questions#FAQ236

How it works is fairly straightforward, but finding the information is what puts me off. We're indebted to the eagle-eyed forum members that report finding Alamy images but even then it's a tiny proportion of those that get used. I fear that if I claimed from the small proportion of uses that I know the details of then the amount I'd get paid would be smaller than that I receive from Alamy - and that for additional work that I'd put in making the claim.

+1

Sometimes the information in the sales history is sufficient for RM images, but still Alamy also found more for me the year I tried.

Archived