geogphotos

Montage how to do it help sought

I0000JV.qgvoQnlw.jpg

Filming yesterday outside my local pub. There is a plan for housing in that field to the right, the top storeys, roofs, lampposts would protrude well above the hedgerow into this view.

I'd love to do a mock up of what it would look like but just don't have the skills - could anybody kindly help.

Was also thinking of a night shot ( our village gets very dark) with lampposts and an orange glow. 

Thanks

Ian

For a night shot, I'd wait until the sun's gone down. Happy to help...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Morrison said:

For a night shot, I'd wait until the sun's gone down. Happy to help...

What brilliant advice - I will remember it next time I want to do a night shot as well

There was a plan for some new building (houses) on green fields in our village. Due to the type of building and the proposers a lot of the village people were against the idea.

Then came some great news the fields had been placed on the national register of protected property because of archaeological finds within their boundaries.

Sorry to be off topic.

Allan

There is a helpful fellow named Bill who probably knows all about this stuff.

Hopefully, your quaint little village won't end up looking like my village:

vancouver-2016-in-winter-with-snow-cover

Edited by John Mitchell

I0000JGhPuD6iDHg.jpg

Something like this positioned in scale over the hedge on the right - just above the white horse

have tried following instructions about layers but am lost

Edited by geogphotos

Ian,

I would need a much larger image before I could attempt what you are requesting.

If you have a link to the housing development website where they have images of the types of houses proposed would also be helpful.

David

That would be fantastic and very kind of you.

My email is:

geogphotos@gmail.com

www.geographyphotos.com

I'll then send a download link to the files. 

It's more an impression that I am after as no definite decisions have been taken. I am part of a group trying to Save the Pub Field!

I expect that all that hedge vegetation would go and the houses would rise up the hillside totally changing the feel of the centre of this village.

Many thanks

Ian

Edited by geogphotos
  • Upvote 1

Maybe this could be a Photoshop competition with a free pint in the pub for the best one! 

A friend had a basic attempt. I do have an image of sort of houses.

I0000vPV83tpAJx8.jpg

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I0000xD0Eysv_W3w.jpg

First place I ever saw cask jackets, in about 2000. Must have really needed them this summer.

They still have Cobbold's stands, I see.

Edited by spacecadet

dlmphotog has done an excellent job!!

Will share if he says its okay

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

dlmphotog has done an excellent job!!

Will share if he says its okay

Yes, you are welcome to share the image. I have no claim to the image... consider my contribution as Work-for-hire.

It was a fun challenge and I'm happy to help in your righteous cause.

David

• Upvote 1

Great work on the image - I suggest all villagers object to development.

19 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Great work on the image - I suggest all villagers object to development.

Thanks for the support.

Most villagers do object but as usual it is not us who have the money and power.

What is ironic here is that in 2011 we bought the pub and the land to save it for the future! Now the Board of Directors of the Sorrel Horse has turned into property developers and want to sell the land for housing. 

It's like some sort of social experiment where we start off with all this soft fluffy community ideas and in the end ( hopefully not the end but you know what I mean) it is the capitalists who take over and get to do their asset stripping for short term gain.

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks for the support.

Most villagers do object but as usual it is not us who have the money and power.

What is ironic here is that in 2011 we bought the pub and the land to save it for the future! Now the Board of Directors of the Sorrel Horse has turned into property developers and want to sell the land for housing. 

It's like some sort of social experiment where we start off with all this soft fluffy community ideas and in the end ( hopefully not the end but you know what I mean) it is the capitalists who take over and get to do their asset stripping for short term gain.

I really do not get what the hell those in charge of managing developments are doing at the moment - not so much the capitalists that make the money but the local and national government that decide what can be done where.

Town and city centres are full of derelict empty buildings  - some of which have been unused for years - crumbling, rotting, attracting crime.  Yet at the same time the thinner and thinner bits of green belt and precious countryside are seeing more and more concreting over.  Mind you half the problem in towns and cities is local "historical preservation trusts" - who insist that any new developments are "in keeping" with said towns historic character.  When you point out that when said "historic character" was first built it was considered cutting edge new and futuristic and that if we do not do any development now in a couple of hundred years there will be no historic character because we have let it all fall down rather than allow it to be renewed and moved forward they get all huffy.  

We have a huge demand for housing now - some of which makes no sense to me as I see young people expecting to go from parents home to uni to their own flat without any steps involving shared rooms or bedsits, not to mention the drastic population increase going on - why the hell cannot those old 1960s office blocks that are such an eyesore be turned into 1 bed flats for single people rather than building 2 bed and bigger houses on the countryside?

5 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

those old 1960s office blocks that are such an eyesore

Hear, hear- no need to knock down my favourite brutalist buildings!

19 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

I really do not get what the hell those in charge of managing developments are doing at the moment - not so much the capitalists that make the money but the local and national government that decide what can be done where.

Town and city centres are full of derelict empty buildings  - some of which have been unused for years - crumbling, rotting, attracting crime.  Yet at the same time the thinner and thinner bits of green belt and precious countryside are seeing more and more concreting over.  Mind you half the problem in towns and cities is local "historical preservation trusts" - who insist that any new developments are "in keeping" with said towns historic character.  When you point out that when said "historic character" was first built it was considered cutting edge new and futuristic and that if we do not do any development now in a couple of hundred years there will be no historic character because we have let it all fall down rather than allow it to be renewed and moved forward they get all huffy.  

We have a huge demand for housing now - some of which makes no sense to me as I see young people expecting to go from parents home to uni to their own flat without any steps involving shared rooms or bedsits, not to mention the drastic population increase going on - why the hell cannot those old 1960s office blocks that are such an eyesore be turned into 1 bed flats for single people rather than building 2 bed and bigger houses on the countryside?

What adds to the fun and games is the amount of holiday homes we have in the village and then one of these second-homers argues that what the village needs is affordable housing for locals.

The housing pressure has come from national government, councils have targets, councillors then have to get hold of any land that they can find and just push through against local opposition. We have over 225 shareholders who could refuse to sell the land but they are being tempted with a windfall payment so although I'd like to think that we can hold firm who knows how persuasive the greed option will be especially on those who don't live in the village.

There are three houses - one small, one medium sized, one large that have been on the market for six months and more. So not sure what the actual demand is! 

Unfortunately the situation in the village has turned quite nasty and unpleasant. Have been unable to concentrate on stock for best part of two months now :(

Edited by geogphotos

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

What adds to the fun and games is the amount of holiday homes we have in the village and then one of these second-homers argues that what the village needs is affordable housing for locals.

The housing pressure has come from national government, councils have targets, councillors then have to get hold of any land that they can find and just push through against local opposition. We have over 225 shareholders who could refuse to sell the land but they are being tempted with a windfall payment so although I'd like to think that we can hold firm who knows how persuasive the greed option will be especially on those who don't live in the village.

There are three houses - one small, one medium sized, one large that have been on the market for six months and more. So not sure what the actual demand is! 

Unfortunately the situation in the village has turned quite nasty and unpleasant. Have been unable to concentrate on stock for best part of two months now :(

Like I said earlier get in there and bury some Roman and Anglo Saxon, Viking remains. Then organise a archaeological dig which will find some objects which will lead to placing the land under the protection of the Heritage register.:)

Allan

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

Like I said earlier get in there and bury some Roman and Anglo Saxon, Viking remains. Then organise a archaeological dig which will find some objects which will lead to placing the land under the protection of the Heritage register.:)

Allan

Have you got any rare newts that I could smuggle in?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/12/rare-newts-planted-at-development-sites-to-stop-the-bulldozers/

Edited by geogphotos

5 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

There will have to be an archaeological survey at the developer's expense anyway. They're unlikely to find anything to stop development on farmland that's been cultivated in the last few centuries, unfortunately.

Newts? Unsupported libel apart (that article is what one's come to expect, unfortunately- I've have to block the DT from my newsfeed)- not a bad idea.

Edited by spacecadet