Ticketed events and shows inside these events, is there a general policy for submitting images?

Submitting as RM or Live News and explaining it's a ticketed event or show would be enough? I have been trying to do more events lately but I find it hard to obtain information from the event's organizers; many don't have photography or press rules posted; when i ask usually e-mails get forwarded indefinitely and people don't know the answer. I'm talking about stuff like state fairs, horse shows, fall festivals etc. 

Any input?

Thanks. 

I have put loads of stuff from agricultural shows in the UK on microstock sites and never heard of any complaint - in fact there is usually a good contingent of regular press there both print and broadcast - the shows depend on publicity and the more images out there showing people having fun or cute animals the better for them as it may persuade people to go along and visit next time.

I mean I can understand why a world-famous music star with their own publicist will try and control image taking and broadcasting but multi event shows need as many people as possible aware of them - they would shoot themselves in the foot if they tried banning photography. It's just the normal rules of releases - make sure you click no property release and/or no model release.

I guess if photography is banned then there is at least this information posted. Most common events don't really have anything of anything about photography.

A few other sites I contribute to have relaxed their rules about "ticketed events" lately but some performances that may happen within these events seem to require some kind of press credentials for editorial license. One recent case that happened to me was a small cowboy dressage competition within a horse show event not being accepted elsewhere because the inspectors in these sites believe that a press credential was needed.

It's all confusing to me and oftentimes to the event organizers also. "You want what? To take pictures to post ... where? ... let me forward your message to someone who might know" and that goes on and on. 

Go figure. 

My response to that is "how do I get press credentials"  I have met the same issue with emergency services at large incidents - I can get closer than the main public but not as close as the "proper" press.

Mind you it is not at all unusual for non-photographic people to not have the foggiest idea what you mean when asking permission to use for stock.  I asked the biggest football club I shoot for and was politely refused with it clear they did not actually know what I was talking about and were refusing on the grounds of ignorance.

6 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

I have a UK press card.

In the last 15 years I've had to show it exactly once....

Getting a card is not a golden key that opens doors.....

km

It would be bloody useful when the fire crew are letting a guy I know to have a laugh with purely from news incidents get closer and better positions than me though lol.  I have actually been surprised at how unbitchy news work seems to be - there is good-natured competition but I have had help from everyone from the big guns (national camera crews) down to other freelancers.  

27 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

It would be bloody useful when the fire crew are letting a guy I know to have a laugh with purely from news incidents get closer and better positions than me though lol.  I have actually been surprised at how unbitchy news work seems to be - there is good-natured competition but I have had help from everyone from the big guns (national camera crews) down to other freelancers.  

Did your guy got closer to the incident because he had a press card, or because he knew the fire crew?

19 hours ago, phomme said:

Did your guy got closer to the incident because he had a press card, or because he knew the fire crew?

A bit of both - he was known to them, but he is known to everyone, and while I am fairly new to the scene there was a couple there who did know me (and they all certainly knew who I was working for lol) but when it came to going right forward I was told it was press card only - and given the office to call to get "on the list" as it were - which was, of course, closed it being a weekend.   

It did not make a massive amount of difference in the end as the incident came to nothing (white powder in package) and the shots I got were fine, but it did indicate there may be a case in future of it having an impact.

On 19/09/2018 at 15:49, RedSnapper said:

I have a UK press card.

In the last 15 years I've had to show it exactly once....

Getting a card is not a golden key that opens doors.....

km

I've been barred by stewards from accessing events on public streets/squares, whereas press togs got entry. Possibly if I'd asked a police officer I'd have been allowed on the 'public area' basis, but as these togs (two of whom supply Alamy) would have been able to upload at least four hours before I would, I didn't bother.

Archived