MichaelG

Dramatic drop in views

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Marcin Rogozinski said:

Has Creative always been default search on Alamy? Looks like it is now and in many cases give unrepresentative images when different to Relevant search.

 

Yes, it's always been default.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

 

Yes, it's always been default.

Ok, thanks Matt.

Someone already mentioned here that both searches used to be the same. Now they sometimes differ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can my Pseudo summary report total views of 4 images when I myself have 5 and there's a total of 61 on Alamy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

 

Yes, it's always been default.

Which is truly inexplicable. Relevant should be the default.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

How can my Pseudo summary report total views of 4 images when I myself have 5 and there's a total of 61 on Alamy? 

 

The number of views only relates to images on the pages which were actually looked at. The search may have returned 20 pages worth of images, but if the searcher only looks at the first two pages, only those images in those pages get recorded as views. Your four images were in those first few pages, the rest did not get looked at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes views down significantly for the last few days, but also zooms down significantly for the last 5 weeks

 

Kumar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be nice to hear some comments from Alamy... bit flabagast about  the whole thing. If my views remain that low i will need to upload at least another 10k to only get back where i was so far and to at least keep the same sales level i`m currently on. That`s not very motivating :blink: The only other logical explanation in may case would be non existing zooms that impacts my CTR and i assume this would push my images further down but still that drop was/is a bit harsh... 

 

Anyway lets hope things will improve next week! 

 

Thanks for all your comments!

 

Have a good weekend everyone!    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MichaelG said:

Would be nice to hear some comments from Alamy...

 

I've received an answer at 16:51.

Only about today's hickup btw because that's what I did report about.

My guess is that I can freely share this.

 

From Alamy:

 

Hi Wim,

Thanks for your email.

We were experiencing some temporary issues earlier today which could have affected the load times of results, but our tech team have confirmed that this has been rectified and everything should be running as normal.

 

 

Thanks

 

 

Dan
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wiskerke said:

 

I've received an answer at 16:51.

Only about today's hickup btw because that's what I did report about.

My guess is that I can freely share this.

 

From Alamy:

 

Hi Wim,

Thanks for your email.

 

We were experiencing some temporary issues earlier today which could have affected the load times of results, but our tech team have confirmed that this has been rectified and everything should be running as normal.

 

 

 

 

Thanks

 

 

 

 

Dan

The issue does seem to be cleared now, but I had the non-loading pics issue several times over the last week or more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cryptoprocta said:

The issue does seem to be cleared now, but I had the non-loading pics issue several times over the last week or more.

 

I now have problems with the editor here: It refused to turn off italics.

Should I seek shelter?

;-)

Kidding aside: I see no difference here. Still slow or not loading. The first page is fine, the second will not load.

Let's see if it persists tomorrow.

 

wim

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Customer activity and sales have crashed everywhere as far as I've seen. I believe its because free is now the new normal thanks to sites like Unsplash and Pexels. They manipulate tons of photographers who are desperate for attention to give their work away for free so they can get massive site traffic and smother out the whole online stock industry. Now consumers expect images for free and stock photos have little to no value. I think thats why prices are dropping on all sites so much, as they are trying to compete with free to stay alive. While these sites dont cover unique editorial content like Alamy has, it still affects the consumers impression of the value of a stock photo regardless. There used to be a huge shift from macro to micro... now its moving to free. Thats where the fish are going. While these free photographers argue that its just a hobby for them and they want to feel good about themselves giving their work away for nothing, it lays waste to everyone else. You invest in your future by adding value to your product, not subtracting. Its tough to have a future in something that now operates at a loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JEDphoto said:

Customer activity and sales have crashed everywhere as far as I've seen. I believe its because free is now the new normal thanks to sites like Unsplash and Pexels. They manipulate tons of photographers who are desperate for attention to give their work away for free so they can get massive site traffic and smother out the whole online stock industry. Now consumers expect images for free and stock photos have little to no value. I think thats why prices are dropping on all sites so much, as they are trying to compete with free to stay alive. While these sites dont cover unique editorial content like Alamy has, it still affects the consumers impression of the value of a stock photo regardless. There used to be a huge shift from macro to micro... now its moving to free. Thats where the fish are going. While these free photographers argue that its just a hobby for them and they want to feel good about themselves giving their work away for nothing, it lays waste to everyone else. You invest in your future by adding value to your product, not subtracting. Its tough to have a future in something that now operates at a loss.

 

This is a separate, possibly valid issue, but it's not the one under discussion here. The growth of sites giving away free images does not induce a cliff-edge fall in views of the magnitude experienced at Alamy in recent days. Such a massive, sudden change can only be a systems related internal issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JEDphoto said:

Customer activity and sales have crashed everywhere as far as I've seen. I believe its because free is now the new normal thanks to sites like Unsplash and Pexels. They manipulate tons of photographers who are desperate for attention to give their work away for free so they can get massive site traffic and smother out the whole online stock industry. Now consumers expect images for free and stock photos have little to no value. I think thats why prices are dropping on all sites so much, as they are trying to compete with free to stay alive. While these sites dont cover unique editorial content like Alamy has, it still affects the consumers impression of the value of a stock photo regardless. There used to be a huge shift from macro to micro... now its moving to free. Thats where the fish are going. While these free photographers argue that its just a hobby for them and they want to feel good about themselves giving their work away for nothing, it lays waste to everyone else. You invest in your future by adding value to your product, not subtracting. Its tough to have a future in something that now operates at a loss.

 

Absolutely depressing. These idiots who are givng their work away, what do they gain ? The millennials seem to think everything should be served free on a plate, including music which I also sell.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MichaelG said:

Would be nice to hear some comments from Alamy... bit flabagast about  the whole thing. If my views remain that low i will need to upload at least another 10k to only get back where i was so far and to at least keep the same sales level i`m currently on. That`s not very motivating :blink: The only other logical explanation in may case would be non existing zooms that impacts my CTR and i assume this would push my images further down but still that drop was/is a bit harsh... 

 

Anyway lets hope things will improve next week! 

 

Thanks for all your comments!

 

Have a good weekend everyone!    

Have only just seen this thread but I’ve not experienced anything other than normal view variations - mine vary wildly day by day - I’ve had good days and rubbish days as always - I don’t have a particularly large number of images.  Curiosity got the better of me though so I looked through daily AoA view stats for the last couple of months and total views Alamy wide seem to be holding up.  Hopefully negative personal experiences are just statistical blips and conincedentally the images you have were just not being searched for over the past few days - fingers crossed for next week :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

 

The number of views only relates to images on the pages which were actually looked at. The search may have returned 20 pages worth of images, but if the searcher only looks at the first two pages, only those images in those pages get recorded as views. Your four images were in those first few pages, the rest did not get looked at.

 

If you look at one page, that would normally report as 100 unless there are less than one hundred images on Alamy. So the report should have said 61 as there were 61 images on Alamy and all would have been seen on that one page. (OK so far?) "Total views" reports only 4 images meaning, I assume, that there should only be a total of 4 images of that subject on Alamy. However there are in fact 61, all of which should have been seen on one page including all five of mine not 4, or have I been misunderstanding the figures all this time? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

 

If you look at one page, that would normally report as 100 unless there are less than one hundred images on Alamy. So the report should have said 61 as there were 61 images on Alamy and all would have been seen on that one page. (OK so far?) "Total views" reports only 4 images meaning, I assume, that there should only be a total of 4 images of that subject on Alamy. However there are in fact 61, all of which should have been seen on one page including all five of mine not 4, or have I been misunderstanding the figures all this time? 

It is possible to set the number of search returns to 30, 60 ,100 or 120 per page.  Although 100 is the default perhaps the picture researcher happened to select 30 in your case.

 

Pearl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Marb said:

 

Absolutely depressing. These idiots who are givng their work away, what do they gain ? The millennials seem to think everything should be served free on a plate, including music which I also sell.

 

 

Same here with music. Almost no album sales yet piracy like crazy. Be it music, photos, movies... people honestly believe it should all be free with no regard for the creators and work to create it. Actually had multiple coworkers at work today ranting together about how copyrights are stupid and everything should be free for them. Like a fountain of infinite appeasement. You simply cannot tell them otherwise.  Those photographers giving their photos away for free feeds that attitude in exchange for feeling important about themselves. At least until they realize others are making money off of their work they gave away for nothing.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JEDphoto said:

Same here with music. Almost no album sales yet piracy like crazy. Be it music, photos, movies... people honestly believe it should all be free with no regard for the creators and work to create it. Actually had multiple coworkers at work today ranting together about how copyrights are stupid and everything should be free for them. Like a fountain of infinite appeasement. You simply cannot tell them otherwise.  Those photographers giving their photos away for free feeds that attitude in exchange for feeling important about themselves. At least until they realize others are making money off of their work they gave away for nothing.

It is a difficult one and my views are no popular but the way I see it, especially with music/film, is that the century we had of copyright and recorded images was actually an unnatural blip - although to us living in the period it does, of course, seem to be totally natural.  Before the means to record music/images there was no real way for creators to stop people "stealing" their creations and all monies came from live actual performances.  Shakespeare might have written the play but there was nothing he could do to prevent someone in the audience noting it down and taking it back to their own group of players and copying it - songs written by a composer would be listened to and repeated by other musicians.  The players got paid for performing the work not conceiving of it - and of course, there was very little chance they would know who had copied their work - how was Mozart going to know that a group of bagpipe players was attempting his Magic Flute unless he was in the place they were doing it (of course for them to do it at least one of them would have had to pay to see its performance beforehand).  Of course, orchestras paid composers and theatre groups paid writers but the writers/composers if they thought about exclusivity at all they understood there was no way to enforce.  The idea that every person using their work would pay for it was unnatural to them because it wasn't possible.  I think the internet is just causing a return to that situation - musicians especially will have to make their money through the performance of work not the creation of work alone.

Where this leaves photography I do not know - I have not got that far - but possibly something similar to the old painting portrait business where the quality of the artist sets their price - so the likes of Simon King will never be without bread but for the masses it will be a bit more of a struggle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pearl said:

It is possible to set the number of search returns to 30, 60 ,100 or 120 per page.  Although 100 is the default perhaps the picture researcher happened to select 30 in your case.

 

Pearl

 

Possible, but more likely is the use of filters by the client. There are a couple we don't see* in our report.

 

Then there's territory: not all results are visible in all territories. E.g. one big German agency has a restriction on Europe: we don't see any of the results that are very regularly reported in the Images found thread.

 

And then there's the images underneath a zoomed image: do we know if and or how they're counted? Are they counted/visible as zoomed images? Views?

 

wim

 

edit: * filters like RM/RF and releases

Edited by wiskerke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

 

Possible, but more likely is the use of filters by the client. There are a couple we don't see* in our report.

 

Then there's territory: not all results are visible in all territories. E.g. one big German agency has a restriction on Europe: we don't see any of the results that are very regularly reported in the Images found thread.

 

And then there's the images underneath a zoomed image: do we know if and or how they're counted? Are they counted/visible as zoomed images? Views?

 

wim

 

edit: * filters like RM/RF and releases

 

The filters were the only thing I could think of. Of course it was the image best suited to the search term that failed to be viewed. Typical. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wiskerke said:

 

Possible, but more likely is the use of filters by the client. There are a couple we don't see* in our report.

 

...  ...  ...

 

edit: * filters like RM/RF and releases

Oh? I always thought [RM] meant the client had filtered on RM and [MR] meant they were looking for a model released image.

Like: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eriplgnrlz7gcch/RM - MR.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Cryptoprocta
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/09/2018 at 08:59, MichaelG said:

Morning All,

 

Did anyone notice dramatic drop in views? My views plummeted in the last few days, yesterday being epic - only 5 recorded. I would usually have around 100 +/-... 

 

Thanks

Michael 

 

Concerned by reports of plummeting views from individual contributors I did some analysis of the number of pages of search results on AoA which should give a more statistically significant viewpoint. The graph below shows the number of pages of search results during the 5 days of each week since the start of this year (NB. I've added 25% to the most recent week as Friday's data isn't available yet). This should give an indication of the level of the recorded activity from registered Alamy customers. As you can see there's no sudden drop in recent weeks. There is however some evidence of a slow decrease which could be a concern given that the number of images in Alamy's collection has increased over the period, (although search activity from registered customers is not the same as sales activity or revenue). I'm also not sure whether activity from all Alamy's distributors' websites is captured in AoA or not.

 

Screen_Shot_2018-09-15_at_21.14.08.png

 

Mark

 

 

 

 

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

 

Concerned by reports of plummeting views from individual contributors I did some analysis of the number of pages of search results on AoA which should give a more statistically significant viewpoint. The graph below shows the number of pages of search results during the 5 days of each week since the start of this year (NB. I've added 25% to the most recent week as Friday's data isn't available yet). This should give an indication of the level of the recorded activity from registered Alamy customers. As you can see there's no sudden drop in recent weeks. There is however some evidence of a slow decrease which could be a concern given that the number of images in Alamy's collection has increased over the period, (although search activity from registered customers is not the same as sales activity or revenue). I'm also not sure whether activity from all Alamy's distributors' websites is captured in AoA or not.

 

Screen_Shot_2018-09-15_at_21.14.08.png

 

Mark

 

 

 

 

I do not think my drop has anything to do with AoA in particular. I assume Alamy search algorithm has changed and my port after some grace period was downgraded possibly due to low CTR or some other unknown to me reason... will have to find a way to get back "up" again...  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MichaelG said:

I do not think my drop has anything to do with AoA in particular. I assume Alamy search algorithm has changed and my port after some grace period was downgraded possibly due to low CTR or some other unknown to me reason... will have to find a way to get back "up" again...  

 

 

Certainly if the search algorithm has been changed it's possible that customers could be finding what they want more quickly, so there are less views. So the graph I posted above won't necessarily correlate with views. On the other hand it might...

 

Mark

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MichaelG said:

I do not think my drop has anything to do with AoA in particular. I assume Alamy search algorithm has changed and my port after some grace period was downgraded possibly due to low CTR or some other unknown to me reason... will have to find a way to get back "up" again...  

 

 

Apparently, CTR can mysteriously go back up on its own. I averaged 0.63 (according to CTR graph data) for the first seven months of 2018. My CTR then dropped inexplicably to 0.38 in August. Sales and zooms took dives as well. Without my doing anything, my CTR is now back up to 0.63 (exactly) and sales numbers and zooms seem to be heading north again.

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now