Dramatic drop in views

Searching for Alamy images using Google never counted as part of the views reported in Alamy Measures anyway... so Google makes no difference.

It makes no difference, directly. Yet, if you click on that picture in Google's image SERP, Google redirects the user to Alamy; therefore, it drives traffic to an Alamy page with a lot of internal links to your profile, similar images, tags, and so on and, consequently, it increases views and, possibly, zooms and purchases.

49 minutes ago, Marb said:

I really don't think keywording is that important. I have done searches here and some of the first few images that appear on the first page have very very few keywords.

to some extend yes but as Niels Quist mentioned you could be missing out on potential exposure. If its not spamming there is no harm having more then ten...  If i have the keywords I`ll add them in if not I move along. 

Just now, riccarbi said:

It makes no difference, directly. Yet, if you click on that picture in Google's image SERP, it redirects the user to Alamy; therefore, it. drives traffic to Alamy and, consequently, increases views and, possibly, zooms.

But only activities of certain customers, who would have to log into the Alamy site, will be recorded as views/zooms. If you or I find an image via Google which redirects us to Alamy, we can click around and look at as many images as we like, and it will make no difference to recorded views/zooms.

1 hour ago, Marb said:

I really don't think keywording is that important. I have done searches here and some of the first few images that appear on the first page have very very few keywords.

For several months, captions have been trumping keywords. I've seen (old) files at the top of large searches with no keywords at all (also some heavy Live News suppliers don't go back and keyword, but they may have a high ranking because of good Live News sales), but that could change at any time to keywords trumping captions (but maybe ranking by Live News sales will trump that, or maybe not. We can't know). All we can do is caption well, keyword well, and hope that  the 'combining any keyword and any word in the caption' thing doesn't affect us too badly.

But only activities of certain customers, who would have to log into the Alamy site, will be recorded as views/zooms. If you or I find an image via Google which redirects us to Alamy, we can click around and look at as many images as we like, and it will make no difference to recorded views/zooms.

That's an interesting point, Obviously, I was talking about logged-in users. But, along with being an amateur photographer, I am also a publisher and I know how I personally look for an image with a specific subject on the Internet. I have two choices:

To visit each of the three or four stock photo sites I use more frequently one by one and make a search for a number of specific terms
OR
To make an advanced search on Google images for those specific terms, restricting the results to those stock photo websites. If I find what I'm looking for, I log in and (possibly) buy the picture.

Not to mention that the second option is less accurate but much quicker.
So, Google actually is a source of (recorded) clicks and zooms on Alamy, at least in my case.

2 minutes ago, riccarbi said:

That's an interesting point, Obviously, I was talking about logged-in users. But, along with being an amateur photographer, I am also a publisher and I know how I personally look for an image with a specific subject on the Internet. I have two choices:
To visit each of the three of four stock photo sites I use more frequently one by one and make a search for a number of specific terms
OR
Make an advanced search on Google images for those specific terms, restricting the results to the those 3 or 4 stock photo websites. If I find what I'm looking for, I log in and buy the picture.

So, Google actually is a source of (recorded) clicks and zooms on Alamy, at least in my case.

If you are a source of recorded views and zooms, please feel free to have a browse of my portfoilo (with or without Google) and zoom a few there. :);). I'll be happy to report tomorrow if your browsing produced any zoom results.

3 minutes ago, riccarbi said:

To visit each of the three or four stock photo sites I use more frequently one by one and make a search for a number of specific terms
OR
Make an advanced search on Google images for those specific terms, restricting the results to those stock photo websites. If I find what I'm looking for, I log in and buy the picture.

I'm guessing that you would probably only log into Alamy once you've found an image that you want to buy. By this point in time, the 'viewing' and 'zooming' is already done. Once logged in, if you do further searches using Alamy's own search tools, then your activities would be recorded as views/zooms. And I think this is my point.. the views and zooms that you see in the Alamy metrics are potenitally just the tip of the iceberg.. you do not see the views form people that found an image using Google. And you do not see the views of people that didn't log in.

5 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Could it be that clients just leave because the pages are sometimes not loading at all or very slow?

Or is that just at my end?

wim

I too thought it was just me. Very slow at times over here.

18 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

I thought it was only my end. Very slow indeed. Could very well be so.

14 minutes ago, ReeRay said:

I too thought it was just me. Very slow at times over here.

Any more reports?

My searches were Helsinki related.

From time to time images just didn't load at all. The three small blue blocks just went on and on.

wim

edit: sending email to contributor relations

12 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Any more reports?

My searches were Helsinki related.

From time to time images just didn't load at all. The three small blue blocks just went on and on.

wim

edit: sending email to contributor relations

Yes, I've found that the missing images don't load even after several refreshes.

52 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Could it be that clients just leave because the pages are sometimes not loading at all or very slow?

Or is that just at my end?

wim

Very slow for me too and I have super fast broadband here.  I'd get fed up and go elsewhere if I was a busy picture researcher with the way it is at the moment.

Pearl

If search results are slow to come up it may be worth a thread of its own to discuss. I'm in the UK with a fast Virgin Media broadband and I can detect a momentary hiatus in the search results displaying which I don't recall noticing before. However, it is only momentary and not really significant to the extent of putting off potential customers.

2 hours ago, Marb said:

And I have found images that come top in the search with around 5 keywords at most.

It’s possible that those images are at the top despite having only a few tags because the contributor has a very high AlamyRank. You won’t have high rank being a relatively new contributor with few sales, so a lack of relevant tags would undoubtedly harm your searches and zooms and sales.

Archived