Dramatic drop in views

hmm... i think someone mentioned change in search algorithm but that`s a massive blow for me. I know i dont have a big port yet and although not really suffering from too many zooms (recorded only 38 for the last 12 months) at least i thought my views are growing along with my port and sales are slowly started to creep in. But now with 5 views not sure if i can scratch any surface in here... Hope this is just temporary glitch and all be back to norm soon...   

Thanks 

Michael 

38 minutes ago, MichaelG said:

hmm... i think someone mentioned change in search algorithm but that`s a massive blow for me. I know i dont have a big port yet and although not really suffering from too many zooms (recorded only 38 for the last 12 months) at least i thought my views are growing along with my port and sales are slowly started to creep in. But now with 5 views not sure if i can scratch any surface in here... Hope this is just temporary glitch and all be back to norm soon...   

Thanks 

Michael 

There is no obvious sign the search algorithm has changed massively - both BHZ and my benchmark searches remain static. It is more likely the view counting machine has gone awry. It has happened before where the number of views recorded dropped dramatically for several days and then eventually returned to normal. An IT glitch rather than a search policy change would be my bet.

2 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

There is no obvious sign the search algorithm has changed massively - both BHZ and my benchmark searches remain static. It is more likely the view counting machine has gone awry. It has happened before where the number of views recorded dropped dramatically for several days and then eventually returned to normal. An IT glitch rather than a search policy change would be my bet.

Thanks Joseph! Hope that`s the case! 

9 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

22 views yesterday :huh::lol: 0 zooms.

I had hoped i could rely on 1 image sold per 1000 uploads, but it looks like i can't, so i'll just have to plod along with live news as the only reliable means of making money on here (touch wood).

I wonder if the emphasis you have on Live News impacts the number of views you are getting? I have a similar sized portfolio and yesterday I had 86 views and 1 zoom (and I regard 86 views as about one-third of what I would normally get). One difference I notice with Live News shooting is that it tends to produce a greater number of similars in a portfolio as multiple photos of the same event are shot, whereas a portfolio focussed purely on stock would more likely have only one or two images of any subject. Portfolios with large number of similars tend to get pushed down the rankings as such views as are generated result in proportionately fewer zooms and sales, which becomes a vicious circle. I don't shoot a lot of live news myself but I have recently created a separate live news pseudonym to hold such images as I do have, so that the larger number of similars does not impact my main pseudonyms. 

Only 38 views today. More than 5 but still not very promising... 

My sales picked it up finally and I started getting at least one a month but wary now with views being so low i wont get much exposure and possible sales... :wacko: being hopeful tho that this is just a temporary glitch... right back to keywording :ph34r:

Out of curiosity I selected:

12-13 July: Views 1034 Zooms 3 Top subjects: England football charity (138), Farnborough Air Show (49), Spitfire flying (43)

12-13 Sept: Views 681 Zooms 4 Top subjects: Trafalgar Square (28), Old War Office London (43 - two sessions combined), Chelmsford (19)

Who knows whether it's just a variation on subject requirements or a trend?

23 minutes ago, MichaelG said:

Only 38 views today. More than 5 but still not very promising... 

My sales picked it up finally and I started getting at least one a month but wary now with views being so low i wont get much exposure and possible sales... :wacko: being hopeful tho that this is just a temporary glitch... right back to keywording :ph34r:

I really don't think keywording is that important. I have done searches here and some of the first few images that appear on the first page have very very few keywords.

17 minutes ago, Marb said:

I really don't think keywording is that important. I have done searches here and some of the first few images that appear on the first page have very very few keywords.

But it really matters if your smaller amount of keywords are not among the ones used in a search.

My guess is that such a drop is possibly related to Google, not Alamy. Doing a search for "Alamy" + "keyword" in Google images, today gives me much less pictures than in the past; furthermore, most of them are totally unrelated to the subject.

7 minutes ago, riccarbi said:

My guess is that such a drop is possibly related to Google, not Alamy. Doing a search for "Alamy" + "keyword" in Google images, today gives me much less pictures than in the past; furthermore, most of them are totally unrelated to the subject.

Searching for Alamy images using Google never counted as part of the views reported in Alamy Measures anyway... so Google makes no difference.

1 hour ago, Joseph Clemson said:

I wonder if the emphasis you have on Live News impacts the number of views you are getting? I have a similar sized portfolio and yesterday I had 86 views and 1 zoom (and I regard 86 views as about one-third of what I would normally get). One difference I notice with Live News shooting is that it tends to produce a greater number of similars in a portfolio as multiple photos of the same event are shot, whereas a portfolio focussed purely on stock would more likely have only one or two images of any subject. Portfolios with large number of similars tend to get pushed down the rankings as such views as are generated result in proportionately fewer zooms and sales, which becomes a vicious circle. I don't shoot a lot of live news myself but I have recently created a separate live news pseudonym to hold such images as I do have, so that the larger number of similars does not impact my main pseudonyms. 

That’s what I figured, too, so have created two pseudonyms - one for weather news and one for news news. 

It may be just me and I don't do a lot of news so only have a few examples but I find that images uploaded through live news generally come well down in search results once they become general stock images.  If this is true for others then having a lot of live news in one's port could result in fewer views.  However that does not explain the present dramatic drop in views that has just happened this week.

Pearl

Archived