Pic of Cat , Model release or Property release?

Hello.

I have a question about a photo of a cat (pet).

If we want to sell as a royalty free photo, do we have to have a model release or property release?

Or it depends on a country?

I think that a cat is a property .

Thank you in advance for your advice.

26 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Property release.

Paulette

...unless the cat can write!

In which case, ditch the photo, make a video, pop it up on all the social media sites and sit back and watch the advertising royalties flood in!

1 hour ago, losdemas said:

...unless the cat can write!

.. neither can most babies... just saying!  :D:P:ph34r:

I suspect it doesn't really matter which type of release you get for a cat.. the important thing is that you have a release for the cat...  but I would tend to ask for a property release.

2 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

.. neither can most babies... just saying!  :D:P:ph34r:

I suspect it doesn't really matter which type of release you get for a cat.. the important thing is that you have a release for the cat...  but I would tend to ask for a property release.

Babies have parents or guardians who sign for them, cats don't.  Only a property release is appropriate for a cat, signed by the owner of course!

Pearl

5 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Legally (UK) cats are property so you'd need a property release.  

However, knowing the nature of cats, any image with both cat and owner would surely need a property release paw stamped by the cat who would certainly consider the owner it's own property :)

Leagally in france cats are property too.

Well explained ! You know the cats:D

2 hours ago, Pearl said:

Babies have parents or guardians who sign for them, cats don't.  Only a property release is appropriate for a cat, signed by the owner of course!

Pearl

tell that to my cat...she's the boss.

7 hours ago, Young said:

Hello.

I have a question about a photo of a cat (pet).

If we want to sell as a royalty free photo, do we have to have a model release or property release?

Or it depends on a country?

I think that a cat is a property .

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Paws for thought! I would have thought a paw print and possibly a swatch of hair would satisfy most legal requirements! ;-)

13 hours ago, Colblimp said:

They actually don't.  A cat will see me and it will run, every time - weird!

Oh Dear, I am afraid you have gone down in my estimation now Colblimp. Cats are wonderful creatures, very intelligent, sensitive and mysterious. Dogs just do what they are told and bark now and then.

1 hour ago, David Pimborough said:

Personally I would not worry about a property release for a cat I've needed one and its never been an issue

either at Alamy or any other agency.

I love cats  :wub:

Cats are Very lovely 😊 animals but what a difficulty to photograph them! They don’t obey human though that’s why  I like them 

2 hours ago, Young said:

Cats are Very lovely 😊 animals but what a difficulty to photograph them! They don’t obey human though that’s why  I like them 

I am owned by 3 - we have the all black matriarch who is also mum to the other 2 - she just manages to look evil in photos.  We have a nice big black and white (or very dark tabby and white) who absolutely loathes having his photo taken and I have yet to get a good one of him, and we have a slim all grey (or blue in cat terminology) who can be in the right mood a lovely model.

2 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I am owned by 3 - we have the all black matriarch who is also mum to the other 2 - she just manages to look evil in photos.  We have a nice big black and white (or very dark tabby and white) who absolutely loathes having his photo taken and I have yet to get a good one of him, and we have a slim all grey (or blue in cat terminology) who can be in the right mood a lovely model.

On a quick look I did not see any cat images in your port. Wouldn't they sign releases for you?

Allan

Yes, cats by nature don't belong to anyone, which is an endearing quality. However, as lovable as cats can be, they are serial killers. I hate what they do to birds. 

P.S. Cats usually like me. I even "owned" one for awhile, a stray that I rescued from a dumpster in the middle of winter.

Archived