Moving from Nikons to Sony A7III

8 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Just in case: pink Sony 5000 at Amazon.

And here's a pink Nikon mirrorless in action.

Kawaii!

wim

YUK! Just what you need when trying to be inconspicuous.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

YUK! Just what you need when trying to be inconspicuous.

Yes, but look at it this way: if you're sporting a pink camera no-one's going to be taking you seriously so you can just snap away wherever you like.

Alan

6 hours ago, wiskerke said:

My invisibility cloak is a hi-viz jacket.

It works.

Like a charm, yes.

wim

Good point but I would be concerned that there might be a reflection of me taking the photo in a widow within the photo. That is why I wear nondescript dark clothing.

Allan

5 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Yes, but look at it this way: if you're sporting a pink camera no-one's going to be taking you seriously so you can just snap away wherever you like.

Alan

Yes I will have a pink suit made up with shirt and shoes to match.:)

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

Good point but I would be concerned that there might be a reflection of me taking the photo in a widow within the photo. That is why I wear nondescript dark clothing.

Allan

Yes I will have a pink suit made up with shirt and shoes to match.:)

Not sure if pink will work for male photographers.

Other than at the annual Pride.

wim

4 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Not sure if pink will work for male photographers.

Other than at the annual Pride.

wim

Whoops! Count me out of that one. Not that I have anything against it personally, just not into it myself.

Allan

After all this, today someone send me a link to this one:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/259513981339769/permalink/264067454217755/?__tn__=CH-R

So there you have a different scenario: buy a Sony, and disguise it as a Z7.

Or a use your iPhone inside.

Still the opposite of what I would want: disguise my camera with 80-200mm as an iPhone.

Without using one of these of course.

wim

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 04:43, Inchiquin said:

Do let us know which way you decide to go, and why.

Alan

So I am back with an update.  I now have the A7III with a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8.  I just got very lucky to get either or both we have a shortage here in Canada.  I decided on the Tamron for better low light shooting, and it has not disapointed.  I decided to go with the A7III because as some have said Sony has been at it longer than Nikon; not disrespecting Nikon in anyway but as hard as they try I am sure there will be something that might need to be fixed/improved as this is their first attempt, so did not want to risk it.  Also did not want to use adapters and use the same big heavy lenses I have on a small body.  

On 9/13/2018 at 21:04, wiskerke said:

Just in case: pink Sony 5000 at Amazon.

And here's a pink Nikon mirrorless in action.

Kawaii!

wim

wim, they didn't have any pink ones!

Took some test shots in good light and very low light, just blown away; so happy with IQ just want to point it at everything and shoot anything all the time, just incredible.  There is a second lens I'll be adding but will report back later on that, when I actually have it.  Also at some point further along in the future I will be looking at adding a second body (maybe), another small one APSC sensor, to get the most out of the lenses I'll have.  I say maybe because for the first time I feel kind of freed from all that kit.  Sometimes more is not better, I was so tangled up in cameras and lenses, that I think it was just stifling any creativity I had.  Was too busy trying to decide which body lens combo to grab for a shot while enviously looking at tourists who were getting all the shots with their mobile phones and tiny point and shoots, and for a split second would think I bet he or she is going to get a better comp and shot of that, than I will.  I started to feel ridiculous with all that gear. 

Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread, I hope to be shooting a lot more and better now.

Helen

39 minutes ago, hsessions said:

So I am back with an update.  I now have the A7III with a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8.  I just got very lucky to get either or both we have a shortage here in Canada.  I decided on the Tamron for better low light shooting, and it has not disapointed.  I decided to go with the A7III because as some have said Sony has been at it longer than Nikon; not disrespecting Nikon in anyway but as hard as they try I am sure there will be something that might need to be fixed/improved as this is their first attempt, so did not want to risk it.  Also did not want to use adapters and use the same big heavy lenses I have on a small body.  

wim, they didn't have any pink ones!

Took some test shots in good light and very low light, just blown away; so happy with IQ just want to point it at everything and shoot anything all the time, just incredible.  There is a second lens I'll be adding but will report back later on that, when I actually have it.  Also at some point further along in the future I will be looking at adding a second body (maybe), another small one APSC sensor, to get the most out of the lenses I'll have.  I say maybe because for the first time I feel kind of freed from all that kit.  Sometimes more is not better, I was so tangled up in cameras and lenses, that I think it was just stifling any creativity I had.  Was too busy trying to decide which body lens combo to grab for a shot while enviously looking at tourists who were getting all the shots with their mobile phones and tiny point and shoots, and for a split second would think I bet he or she is going to get a better comp and shot of that, than I will.  I started to feel ridiculous with all that gear. 

Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread, I hope to be shooting a lot more and better now.

Helen

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Take a look at this guys website http://www.markgaler.com/camera-custom-settings there are a few interesting videos about  setting up a A7iii / A7riii / A9 cameras. A lot of the ones for the A7riii are just as relevant for the A7iii as the menu choices are very similar. There is a lot the camera can do and he's good at explaining it.

2 hours ago, Duncan_Andison said:

Take a look at this guys website http://www.markgaler.com/camera-custom-settings there are a few interesting videos about  setting up a A7iii / A7riii / A9 cameras. A lot of the ones for the A7riii are just as relevant for the A7iii as the menu choices are very similar. There is a lot the camera can do and he's good at explaining it.

Perfect!  Thanks Duncan.

On 9/7/2018 at 10:46, Betty LaRue said:

wim, when I shot Nikon, people came up to me and asked if I were a professional. They asked if I were with the local newspaper sometimes. Often. Not one single person has asked me that since I got into Fuji. Even with a bigger lens on.  Seldom does anyone even look my way. So no, you don’t have to use a phone to be unobtrusive.

Once, in San  Diego, California while shooting sandpipers with my D300 on a monopod, I tangled with security guys who insisted I was with the newspaper, saying with a rig like that, I had to be. The area was tangled up in lawsuits over private/city property rights. I had to show them the images of birds before they slunk off. By then, I was so furious that I shot every piece of property in range.

I've found that a Sony a6000 with a 24mm Sony/Zeiss lens (more than the camera body) is a perfect little old lady harmless camera for taking shots during current events in Nicaragua.  I haven't tried being out during heavy action, but today was taking photos from my front window  of the passing FSLN Sunday motorcade.  Nobody seemed fussed or suspicious and I just smiled and kept the camera down until I wanted to take a photo.

The pop up flash is broken now, so if any other electronics go, I'll pick up a later model of a6*** since the 24mm lens is APSC only and really wonderful.   I have a pair of a7 full frame cameras which I also quite like, but they're just not all that stealthy.  

Had a D300 in the past.  Loved everything about it except the weight.

2 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

wassat you saying honey?

hastings-east-sussex-uk-8th-sep-2018-uk-

Have you entered that photo in this months competition?

Allan

Archived