funkyworm

Plan S Scientific Journals have to take down paywalls for pubicly funded research

This may have consequences for us.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2018/09/scientific-journals-have-to-tear-down-paywall-open-access-for-all/

Scientific magazines will no longer be allowed to have a paywall for publicly funded research... which takes away one of the publishers income sources... which means they could look at their costs ... which could hit us. I cant imagine them deciding that they pay their CEO's too much when it is so much easier to squeeze suppliers.

On the flip side, it may make it easier for us to find usages and infringements... ;)

Mark

I wonder if scientific researchers use stock images anyway for research papers. Text books yes but I’ve never known any geologist to license an image for a scientific paper and I’ve never licensed any myself. In geological research the illustrations would be very specific to the research itself and would normally be taken by the researchers themselves. Image quality is likely to be a low priority in general as long as it does the job which is to illustrate the text. But maybe it is different in other areas of science. 

This is is more about scientific journals than magazines. There is a big difference. 

Edited by MDM

I think that peer reviewed research that is accepted into scientific journals in most disciplines wouldn't have a need for stock images.  Usually the only illustrations are graphs and figures presenting the data.

45 minutes ago, MariaJ said:

I think that peer reviewed research that is accepted into scientific journals in most disciplines wouldn't have a need for stock images.  Usually the only illustrations are graphs and figures presenting the data.

Earth science papers are somewhat different from say chemistry as they often do contain photos of geological features from sub-microscopic to landscape scale but these will almost invariably have been produced by the researchers so I think the market for stock would be miniscule. Happy to be proved wrong as always. 

12 hours ago, MDM said:

I wonder if scientific researchers use stock images anyway for research papers. Text books yes but I’ve never known any geologist to license an image for a scientific paper and I’ve never licensed any myself. In geological research the illustrations would be very specific to the research itself and would normally be taken by the researchers themselves. Image quality is likely to be a low priority in general as long as it does the job which is to illustrate the text. But maybe it is different in other areas of science. 

This is is more about scientific journals than magazines. There is a big difference. 

You are probably right in that. 

It is more the knock on effect for publishers like RELX who do use stock to illustrate the papers they publish in their publications. However it is not necessarily a bad thing for them to have the wind taken out of their sails as a more fragmented market may be beneficial for us. (Or not.)

One upside is that a couple of articles on the subject have used one of my images of the RELX offices taken whilst out for a stroll.