How long before you sold your first stock photo?

Something like three months after sending in dvd with upsized digital files and some scanned trannies. 2007. Had about 150 images with Alamy by then, but, as has been pointed out here, there were only about 6 million images on the site then. 

If you want 'quick' sales with half-decent fees then upload for 'Alamy Live News' . Vast majority of my sales these days are from that route.

Waiting for payment, however, is another story .......... eh Alamy?

22 hours ago, Mads Thomsen said:

Okay...so you have over 300 images on here?

A contributor's number of images is shown below the avatar in blue.

4 months with about 500 images.

As you see I now have nearly 9000. With 30 you can expect a sale every 3 years on average.

16 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

A contributor's number of images is shown below the avatar in blue.

4 months with about 500 images.

As you see I now have nearly 9000. With 30 you can expect a sale every 3 years on average.

Okay thank you so much...well as I said I'm starting out so I will build up as I go...thank you man!

Mads, you images appear too dark. If your monitor isn’t calibrated correctly, that can happen. The best of images won’t sell if they aren’t post processed well. Pay attention to your histogram. If it is bunched toward the left, that says the image is too dark and you need to fix the exposure slider while watching for introduced noise. 

If the images are coming out of the camera too dark, then you need to figure out what settings to use on your camera to get them properly exposed.

I have my histogram showing in my viewfinder and can either change shutter speed or aperture to get the histogram closer to the right side. Not quite touching, but close.

This would best be corrected before you upload lots of images. Please don’t take offense, I just want to help you by giving you a heads up. I’d hate for you to realize this after having a few hundred up, then you deciding to delete them all and start over.

Click on the blue image numbers under our avatars, which allows you to see our portfolios, and compare the brightness of our images with yours, then decide.

Betty

• 5 weeks later...

Archived