Is it possible for one spot to be in

London Lambeth South Bank Bankside?  e.g., Southbank Centre complex?

Is Hyde Park only in London?  Not in other subdivision-borough, too?

Is City of Westminster in City of London or an "island" city?

Is there map better than GoogleMap for showing ALL place

names for any given spot in London?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by JeffGreenberg

I'm not sure if it will help but if you use Bing maps and select 'Ordnance Survey' at top right, as you zoom in the display changes to the UK Ordnance Survey 1:50000 maps, continue zooming and it changes to the 1:25000 maps.  The London boroughs are named but I don't think it shows the boundaries.

Edited by Vincent Lowe

Southbank Centre is near Waterloo Station and Londoners would refer to it as being in Waterloo rather than Lambeth.

Bankside is in Southwark.

Hyde Park - I'm pretty sure there are other Hyde Parks all over the world. But the one you mean in located in the City of Westminster. Adjacent Kensington Gardens I would assume are in K&C.

City of Westminster is in London but not in the City of London.

It must be a nightmare for foreigners to understand the idiosyncratic manner of naming places in the U.K. I am sure it is all much more logical elsewhere. How can two cities be in the city capital of London, but the capital itself does not have the title of city at all?

And as for pronouncing some of the names.......

- deleted 

Edited by Niels Quist

Perhaps this might help?

It shows a boundary map of the 33 London boroughs eg, Westminster, Camden, Islington, etc that collectively comprise Greater London . When you click on one of the boroughs featured in the map, it goes to a page listing major attractions within the borough, and details of regions and neighbourhoods also in the borough.

https://www.allinlondon.co.uk/boroughs/

Edited by Phil Preston
Clarification

On 02/09/2018 at 14:58, JeffGreenberg said:

London is officially made up of 2 cities, The City of London and The City of Westminster.

like so many expanding centres of population London has become "Greater London" To many, London is anywhere with-in the M25 Ring Road. Manchester uses the Greater term and includes some wild moors as well as urban areas , Toronto uses the term "Metropolitan". There are examples all over the world!. Researchers are as likely to make mistakes or vagaries as photographers, so the only working solution is to load up several alternatives in your keywords. A pedantically correct answer would not help you or our researchers in many cases.

Edited by Robert M Estall

Greater Manchester is still a term that irks me as my Lancashire home town become "Greater Manc" - never accepted it!

However, London has the City of London for finance, City of Westminster mainly for politics and government, and a lot of Boroughs around it. It's not as big as the M25 ring (and moves quicker). Even the Boroughs changes as Wandsworth na Richmond have now become one council unit. It can be a moving target.

Sure I'm using too big a brush saying anywhere inside the M25 but for many it will do. When I lived in Putney in the 70s we sometimes drove up the hill to Wimbledon where we could knock back a couple more pints as Wimbledon was "Country hours" and we drove back....... Twickenham is hardly London, and Ilford might not feel like London but I might still slip London in as a tag

On 9/2/2018 at 03:58, JeffGreenberg said:

Is it possible for one spot to be in

London Lambeth South Bank Bankside?  e.g., Southbank Centre complex?

Is Hyde Park only in London?  Not in other subdivision-borough, too?

Is there map better than GoogleMap for showing ALL place

names for any given spot in London?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff,

I have not found one map to show all the detail needed for detailed location identification. For London I use a combination of Google maps and Wikipedia to find locations. As a start I Right-Click on a location in Google Maps and look at "What's here?" this will most times give an address and sometimes a neighborhood. In Wikipedia I search for London boroughs that my specific location may be in, such as Tower Hamlets. Back to Google Maps where I search London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Google Maps shows a red overlay of the Borough. I double check to make sure my location is in the Borough I think it's in. Unfortunately Google does a poor job of defining neighborhood boundaries so it becomes a bit of a guessing game to drill down to neighborhoods.

As an example, Using Google Maps right click on Traitors Gate in the Tower of London, this shows the location to be St Katharine's & Wapping EC3N. From my Wikipedia research I know this is in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets so the location I use is,

Traitors Gate, Tower of London, Wapping, Tower Hamlets, London, United Kingdom

Wikipedia is a great resource.

Hope this helps,

David

I go for the less is more approach, at least more accurate. Hope David doesn't mind using the Traitors Gate as an example, 

Traitors Gate, Tower of London, Wapping, Tower Hamlets, London, United Kingdom.

Wapping and Tower Hamlets are spurious and would never be relevant to a search for Traitors gate, and would only leaded to misleading search results.

Wikipedia and google maps are a great resource but only as a starting point.

Other countries can be even more confusing, like in Ireland when the county and city share a name. 

Steve K

Thanks for responses.

Have been using GoogleMaps WhatsHere as described.

More important than accuracy is knowing what names potential buyers use, IMO.

My hotels were in Lambeth South Bank as were some of my images,

including many Waterloo Station & Waterloo Road images.

One in Vauxhall, still Lambeth South Bank !!

But there is no Waterloo district or borough vs. Lambeth-Southwark.

So only a local or ABBA would know to call an area "Waterloo"...??!

Sometimes in Central London, WhatsHere only gives "London", other

times "City of London" or "Westminster" or Soho or St. James's, etc.

If it only gives London, is that a spot that is NOT in any borough-city at all????

If one gets a borough correct, one hopes it creates a niche that others did

shoot but didn't bother to specify...

(gazes at shoes whilst leaving the room)

Edited by JeffGreenberg

5 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Thanks for responses.

Have been using GoogleMaps WhatsHere as described.

More important than accuracy is knowing what names potential buyers use, IMO.

My hotels were in Lambeth South Bank as were some of my images,

including many Waterloo Station & Waterloo Road images.

One in Vauxhall, still Lambeth South Bank !!

But there is no Waterloo district or borough vs. Lambeth-Southwark.

So only a local or ABBA would know to call an area "Waterloo"...??!

Sometimes in Central London, WhatsHere only gives "London", other

times "City of London" or "Westminster" or Soho or St. James's, etc.

If it only gives London, is that a spot that is NOT in any borough-city at all????

If one gets a borough correct, one hopes it creates a niche that others did

shoot but didn't bother to specify...

(gazes at shoes whilst leaving the room)

Jeff,

Did a search on Google Maps for Lambeth South Bank and it shows a red area that is part of the London Borough of Lambeth.

From Wikipedia;

South Bank is an entertainment and commercial district in central London, next to the River Thames opposite the City of Westminster. It forms a narrow strip of riverside land within the London Borough of Lambeth

So it looks like.

(Name of hotel), South Bank, Lambeth, London, United Kingdom

The City of Westminster is a Borough with distinct boundaries in greater London. City of London is city and county (a city within a city) with distinct boundaries in greater London (or just London). Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace, St James's Park as well as the neighborhoods of Mayfair, Soho, Westminster... are all located within the City of Westminster. Once you get a feel of the boundaries of various boroughs it's easy to reconfirm via Google Maps.

I think having as much relevant (and correct) information pertaining to location were the image was taken can only help.

Hope this helps,

David