Alamy

Statement from Alamy

Alamy announce that current CEO Andy Harding will leave the business by mutual consent.  Alamy Chairman, James West will resume accountability as CEO with immediate effect.

James West commented “We would like to thank Andy for his significant contribution to the business since his arrival last year and we wish him every success in his future endeavours.”

I have not seen anything posted in the past by the now departed CEO and wonder what is behind this.

I am constantly being asked to fill in a questionnaire when I log in and I really do not have much to say other than with 145 million images available for sale, the prime consideration for me is an increase of the customer base world wide so that those of us who have a decent number of images available on Alamy get a higher ratio of sales to total uploaded on Alamy. I am not convinced that the addition of millions of extra images, many of which are probably just repeats of what is already available, will do anything other than making selection more complicated for buyers. Filling any gaps and increase active buyers would seem to me to be the way forward. I occasionally check on 'tower of london' and some years ago it came to around 25,000, then a couple of years later 40,000 and now over 200,000. OK, it covers more than just that Tower of London, but you get the point? Just my simple thoughts.

Welcome back, James. I hope we will hear from you.

Paulette

• Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Welcome back, James. I hope we will hear from you.

Paulette

+1

Kumar

2 hours ago, Doc said:

+1

Kumar

...and another +1

Wow, that's a bit of a shocker. 

Was never clear of the reasons James stood down ( assumed something to do with Manything making loses), pleased to see him return, but what happened to those reasons of his to step down to start with - wasn't it about Alamy needing a new direction, new vision, James needing a change, a new direction....

Perhaps we can have a new Ask James video?  :)

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

That didn't last long. We can only assume it wasn't going well. I do hope it wasn't an expensive good-bye like in the footie business. From his blog, it didn't sound like Andy Harding was very comfortable with things. I don't suppose James West is going to elaborate and what good would that do anyway? Onwards and upwards we hope!

Edited by Robert M Estall

On 8/16/2018 at 22:04, M.Chapman said:

If you want a bit of the "inside track" on this. See here.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/andyharding/detail/recent-activity/posts/

All I can say is welcome back James...

Mark

Let me point to an interview with another CEO of a company in our sort of business, albeit probably as a client of Alamy.

It's from 2017. A good read on all sorts of levels for the weekend:

Here.

Sanoma Media Corporation Headquarters in the Sanomatalo building in Helsinki Finland. - Stock Image

This is their HQ.

Which is why I came to read it. (Keywording can be soo interesting.) Plus on Wednesday VillaMedia.nl had this - Dutch only.

wim

On 18-8-2018 at 16:06, wiskerke said:

Let me point to an interview with another CEO of a company in our sort of business, albeit probably as a client of Alamy.

Here.

Sanoma Media Corporation Headquarters in the Sanomatalo building in Helsinki Finland. - Stock Image

This is their HQ.

Which is why I came to read it. (Keywording can be soo interesting.) Plus on Wednesday VillaMedia.nl had this - Dutch only.

wim

Interesting that both emphasize only planning in the short term due to ever changing markets. That whilst from the supplier side shooting stock (not news) is almost inherently a long term investment, for example, shooting Christmas images for usage the year after. It makes one wonder in how much the short term thinking is commonplace and if there is a realisation of the contradiction with how many suppliers (have to) plan. I had one POD which removed products from the marketplace if they hadn;t been viewed within a few months. They shifted policy after a while after they realised that many events for which they sell product only happen once a year.  

• Upvote 1

I too am pleased to see James back at the helm.

Allan

Posted (edited)
On 18/08/2018 at 15:06, wiskerke said:

Here.

This is their HQ.

wim

Interesting article. Thanks. Somewhat more impressive than Andy Harding's blog.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

Posted (edited)

Okay about time for some scurrilous paranoid conspiracy theorising???

Maybe Andy spent 7 months looking at how to grow Alamy profits and didn't find a way to do so?

Maybe Andy just couldn't get the freedom he wanted because Alamy has its own way of doing things and he felt frustrated?

Maybe I should just shut up and all said tongue in cheek as an Alamy friend :D

Edited by geogphotos

Maybe James had to stay at home and take care of his kids? He wouldn't be the first or last person to need to do this. Maybe it was the same for Andy?

I wish both Andy and James the best, and I thank them both for their efforts.

• Upvote 1