Any member using the Sony RX100 M6 yet?

I have recently signed up for an organized tour, a first for me. Because I won’t have as much control as I normally would when traveling alone, and because we will be visiting many heavily touristed areas in Italy, I’m coming to the conclusion a small pocket camera will be best for me to take. I have the RX100 M4 (am I the only one here with an M4?), and it’s never failed me, but my preferred camera is the latest RX10.

It’s possible I may upgrade the RX100 before my trip. I’m hoping to hear more positive comments regarding the M6 over the next few months and will be avidly following this topic. The idea of a longer zoom is most appealing.

55 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I have recently signed up for an organized tour, a first for me. Because I won’t have as much control as I normally would when traveling alone, and because we will be visiting many heavily touristed areas in Italy, I’m coming to the conclusion a small pocket camera will be best for me to take. I have the RX100 M4 (am I the only one here with an M4?), and it’s never failed me, but my preferred camera is the latest RX10.

It’s possible I may upgrade the RX100 before my trip. I’m hoping to hear more positive comments regarding the M6 over the next few months and will be avidly following this topic. The idea of a longer zoom is most appealing.

With Photokina a month away it is probably worth hanging on if there is no urgency to buy equipment. Currently my approach is to wait until after the Photokina related announcements; tends to be a busy period for new kit.

Would  anyone care comment on the durability of these RX100 cameras?  I picked up an M3 earlier this year on sale, and for the price I'm delighted with the results.  But for the price of the M6 I'm just wondering how well it will hold up.  Wallet is open and ready...

Three things, Cecile:

1.) The 100/4 will serve you just fine in Italy. It's in close where you want to be non-threatening.

2.) If you need a 200mm, you have one on your RX10.

3.) Going on a trip with an untested piece of equipment is exactly what you shouldn't do. 

Good advice, Edo, but I think I’m just looking for an excuse to get a newer/better piece of equipment as consolation for leaving the RX10 behind. :D 

BUT is the RX100/M6 worth it? 

I haven’t traveled with just one camera in a long while, and the thought makes me a bit nervous. However, as much as I like my RX10, I seriously doubt I’d use it enough on this particular trip to warrant hauling it around. I’ve never been to Italy, but I know what large, tourist-heavy cities are like and I just don’t see myself using the RX10 during most of the trip. I’ve got awhile to think this through since my tour is not for many months. I’m a bit of a neurotic planner when it comes to traveling with cameras, electronics, and the right bags, and I travel as light as possible. Most likely, a second, pocket-sized camera is in my future, though it’s not money I really want to spend. Having a little extra zoom would be nice. 

Even though Adobe is still not allowing importing of RAW files from the 100/6 (I just tried again), I'm personally sold on the 6. Great autofocus! But hey, the RX10 is not exactly large or heavy enough to leave at home on a costly trip so you have no backup. When I was a pro, I used to travel with six Nikon bodies. 

I'm not pushing you to buy or not to buy. I'm just suggesting that If you are going to get one (and we both know you are), get it before your trip so you can deal with the changes from the others in the 100 series before hand. 

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx100-vi-m6/9

I too like travelling light, but I get frustrated if I don't have the right lens. Consequently, I end up taking two zooms, a fast standard lens, plus a super wide angle. Since I switched to small Sony mirrorless cameras, all this gear fits nicely into a relatively small camera bag. It would be great to have a pocket-sized camera like one of the RX100's as well. That's going to have to wait until I win the Alamy lottery, though. B)

I’ve been very good at resisting the RX 100 cameras’ new releases. I have the original, and only bought the 3 when I thought I’d left the original in the seat of a restaurant, and they said it hadn’t been turned in. Well, duh, there are a few people out there who wouldn’t.

So I ordered the 3. A week or two after getting and using it, I found the original under my car seat! Double duh, face plant.

I’ve resisted each new release after the three. Yet I admit interest in the 6. Thing is, it appears Fuji has the XT-3 in the works, and it sounds very nice and innovative. Possibly two sensors, crop and FF.  Wowza.  I think it would bump out the RX100-6. 

For now.

I am in a situation where it’s very hard for me to get out of the house. It appears I may soon get some respite here and there. If so, I can get out again from time to time. If so, I may get the upgrade itch.:D

Guaranteed to put some much-needed joy back in my life. I’d rather have a new camera than a new wardrobe, strange female that I am. I could sell the gently-used  RX-100 and Fuji XT-1 to help finance it.

Betty

On 8/12/2018 at 17:46, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve been very good at resisting the RX 100 cameras’ new releases. I have the original, and only bought the 3 when I thought I’d left the original in the seat of a restaurant, and they said it hadn’t been turned in. Well, duh, there are a few people out there who wouldn’t.

So I ordered the 3. A week or two after getting and using it, I found the original under my car seat! Double duh, face plant.

I’ve resisted each new release after the three. Yet I admit interest in the 6. Thing is, it appears Fuji has the XT-3 in the works, and it sounds very nice and innovative. Possibly two sensors, crop and FF.  Wowza.  I think it would bump out the RX100-6. 

For now.

I am in a situation where it’s very hard for me to get out of the house. It appears I may soon get some respite here and there. If so, I can get out again from time to time. If so, I may get the upgrade itch.:D

Guaranteed to put some much-needed joy back in my life. I’d rather have a new camera than a new wardrobe, strange female that I am. I could sell the gently-used  RX-100 and Fuji XT-1 to help finance it.

Betty

I always find a new camera or lens to be a great motivator, a new wardrobe item not so much. But then I have a very uninspiring wardrobe. :lol:

And with any luck, John, you won't be posting pictures of your duds. :wacko:

I'm totally sold on the 100/6 -- it's better than I'd hoped for, with the quick, accurate autofocus. I've been testing the longer half of the zoom, and I see no problems. I'm still being jerked around by the touch screen with regard to where I want the green focus area to be, but I think that's me. I place a thumb on the upper corner as I'm used to doing, but with the 6 that causes a problem. 

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

And with any luck, John, you won't be posting pictures of your duds. :wacko:

I'm totally sold on the 100/6 -- it's better than I'd hoped for, with the quick, accurate autofocus. I've been testing the longer half of the zoom, and I see no problems. I'm still being jerked around by the touch screen with regard to where I want the green focus area to be, but I think that's me. I place a thumb on the upper corner as I'm used to doing, but with the 6 that causes a problem. 

Is there anything in the menu that turns the touch screen off? That would be useful for those who don’t want it. I imagine it’s something that could grow on you, though.

Betty

That's something I keep meaning to look for. I'll look for it now. Wim must know. If I start shooting more, the problem should go away. 

Found it! It's in the Setup Menu: Touch Operation.  :wacko: I turned it off for now. But there are also other controls on touching there.

Thanks, Betty.

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

That's something I keep meaning to look for. I'll look for it now. Wim must know. If I start shooting more, the problem should go away. 

Yes, for now mine is off. If I'm in a daring mood I may turn it on.

My guess is it's in the fifth tab; page 3 = Setup3; second item Touch operation ON/Off.

Following this there are two items that have something to do with Touch operation. It looks like I need to study this at some point.

People who work with touch screens in general have reported that especially setting the focus point while using the finder works very intuitive.

With the wifi remote we have had that functionality for a while: it does work well, but it also tends to interfere when I try to zoom in or out. Then the focus point appears just next to where the zoom button sits. Probably my thumb is too big or my phone too small. Because there's no zoom dial on the camera screen, this will be no problem. I'm more concerned about general handling the tiny thing: there's no way I can avoid touching the screen all the time.

wim

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Found it! It's in the Setup Menu: Touch Operation.  :wacko: I turned it off for now. But there are also other controls on touching there.

Thanks, Betty.

You’re welcome, Edo.

17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Is there anything in the menu that turns the touch screen off? That would be useful for those who don’t want it. I imagine it’s something that could grow on you, though.

Betty

Possibly a feature that might not be of use hence the menu item which turns it off, and you are paying extra for that feature.

Allan

Interesting discussion. I thought about buying it as it would make my "camera load" easier reducing from two A6000 with 10-18, 16-50 and 55-210 to A6000 with 10-18 F4 and RX100M6 

I already have the RX100M3 I have for casual use just in case something turned up. Two things put me against the "upgrade". The RX100M6 from a EU source dealer is £1,149 ($1462). Not a realistic price as far as I am concerned. The RX100 series produce good results easily passing Alamy QC, but the camera is fiddly and the viewfinder small compared with the A6000. Also I have two RX100M1 both with the lens half in/out and not usable. Won't pay for repair as I need a viewfinder. My RX100M3 just been repaired by Sony for £117. The lower lens shutter blade refused to work. So I will stay with what I have got and just use the RX100M3 as a walk about. Hopefully it will last longer that way.

I'd be very happy working with your a6000 kit, John. I have an a6000 with the 10-18 and a 50mm f/1.8. I almost bought the new 24-105 f/4. That stuff is a little bulky, but not really heavy. 

But I'm delighted with the 100/6, as I've said. Expensive? Too expensive? Life on Earth is too expensive!

2 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

It appears that the just released Adobe Raw 10.5 supports the Sony RX100 VI.

Yess! Thank you!

First impressions: No way to un-cook the RAWs, which is probably a good thing: no semi fish-eyed wides.

The image is a tiny bit wider than the OOC JPG.

CA is well under control at the wide end.

As usual +2 for both purple and green in the manual tab will do away with most of purple fringing that the Auto leaves behind in high contrast areas.

Tiny bit more noise, but less blotching. This can all be altered to taste.

wim

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

You're a world of positive information, Martin. I'll give it a try.  B)

No change here yet; still can't open Sony RAW fro the RX100/6 in either LR or PS CC. 

I spend too much time browsing ;)

Make sure that LR and PS have updated ACR to 10.5. There is a limit to my knowledge as I can't tell you how to check as I don't use PS CC or LR. :)

6 minutes ago, Martin P Wilson said:

I spend too much time browsing ;)

Make sure that LR and PS have updated ACR to 10.5. There is a limit to my knowledge as I can't tell you how to check as I don't use PS CC or LR. :)

Plus you have to close Photoshop and Bridge. After you've gone through Help > Updates.

wim

Archived