Favourite Photos in August

cbimages

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Are those sink holes I see before me?

Allan

Just sand patterns at low tide Allan. The danger was not sink holes but crocs in the river to the right. They do croc spotting cruises on that river as it goes through mangrove right where the pic stops. Where I stood was a vast expanse of sand at lowest tide. I was on my own on the beach, totally exposed. Running would not have been an option. These things we do for Alamy...

11 hours ago, gvallee said:

Just sand patterns at low tide Allan. The danger was not sink holes but crocs in the river to the right. They do croc spotting cruises on that river as it goes through mangrove right where the pic stops. Where I stood was a vast expanse of sand at lowest tide. I was on my own on the beach, totally exposed. Running would not have been an option. These things we do for Alamy...

Extraordinary.

Allan

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

She looks to be good at it!

Kumar

Yes, she's a very keen gardener and does well growing tomatoes and cucumbers in here greenhouse. She went on holiday this summer for two weeks though and came home to find the garden pretty much dead thanks to a summer of hot temperatures and no rain. The greenhouse survived thanks to an automatic watering system but all the seedlings she grew and planted in the garden didn't make it!

We regularly dive at Tulamben, in Bali. Last trip, I tried to find/photograph live cowries sitting on eggs. As this is done underneath boulders, it meant a lot of rock turning. Once found, the cowrie will quickly move off the eggs in an effort to get back to the safety of a dark spot, and as they protect the eggs by covering them with their foot, time is critical. Add to that, lots of fish enjoy snacking on live shells, so getting decent photos is quite a challenge and needs to be done very quick for the safety of the little shell and it's future offspring. To add to the challenge, live shell photos should always show the eye.

boivins-cowry-or-boivins-cowrie-naria-boivinii-sitting-on-eggs-previously-described-as-cypraea-boivinii-tulamben-bali-indonesia-bali-sea-PEBWGP.jpg

pellucens-cowry-or-pellucens-cowrietalostolida-pellucens-sitting-on-eggs-previously-described-as-cypraea-teres-pellucens-tulamben-bali-PEBWGY.jpg

miliaris-cowry-or-miliaris-cowrie-naria-miliaris-sitting-on-eggs-previously-described-as-cypraea-miliaris-tulamben-bali-indonesia-bali-sea-PEBWH4.jpg

31 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Technically not the best image ever, but I thought it wasn't too bad given as it was taken handheld with a Sony RX100 (no fancy, expensive macro lenses for me! :-) )

A pollen covered bumblebee on a Gaillardia flower.

a-bumblebee-on-a-gaillardia-flower-PF65YR.jpg

Pretty damn good I say.

Gen

More street performers. The Edinburgh Festivals are almost over. It’s been a mad month.

edinburgh-fringe-festival-street-perform

edinburgh-fringe-edinburgh-scotland-uk-2

And a completely different event - the Royal Company of Archers displaying a clout shoot in Haddington. It was a very soggy day unfortunately 

haddington-uk-19-august-2018-the-royal-c

Yule Point near Port Douglas, Far North Queensland, Autralia.

Taken last Sunday.

scenic-view-of-yule-point-near-port-doug

Taking off from Brisbane in the evening

flying-over-the-coastline-and-mudflats-n

Milky Way and Planet Mars taken a week ago while camping at Mareeba, Far North Queensland

night-sky-showing-the-milky-way-and-plan

Archived