On July 4th I had a $280 sale and on July 5th it was refunded. So the month didn't start well. :(

Excluding that:

Total sales: 24 

Total revenues: $649 gross

So I had a good month. If it hadn't been refunded it would have been a great month. 

Andy

Had two unexpected news sales drop in on 31st which was a nice surprise.

Overall, many sales to UK papers at low rates.

On a positive note, only 2 distributor sales (or maybe I should worry).

Overall, both in sales and revenue very much in line with previous months.

Way above average on sales with 16, but only a little above average for revenue with $471.07 / $228.96  (all numbers gross / net).  The high was $149.00 / $74.50 with one other over $100 gross, but the lows were 6 at $13.72 / 6.86 each and 6 bulk distributor sales to China -- probably the same outfit as several other members have posted to the July sales thread -- at $3.96 / $1.19 each.  This leaves me a little above last year at this time on net revenue.

Zooms were way down at 9, views down at 2435, giving a lower than average CTR of 0.37.

An interesting month.

Just one sale of gross $75 so a quiet month but suddenly in August my views have exploded. Normally on any single day i will get one or two pages of views but today i have 16 pages! my graph has exploded and I'm a little suspicious that Alamy has just solved one of those little software glitches and found a bunch of views. Has anyone else experienced similar?

80 for gross of just over $3K - so slightly above average for me. 7 in $$$, most was $200.91

Zooms good.

For those interested in stats:

Age of image on Alamy:

A: 2

B: 12

C: 13

D: 18

E: 13

F: 11

G: 4

H: 1

J:1

K:1

M:4

P: 0

Continent:

UK: 47

Europe (not UK): 10

Africa: 2

Asia: 5

N/America: 10

Central America: 2

South America: 1

Middle East: 3

No live news (I don't do live news)

Kumar

On 8/1/2018 at 17:05, AlbertSnapper said:

I've just read an article in the Guardian about publishers paying a pittance to writers.

No mention of themselves paying a pittance to photographers ! 

Publishing sales figures in a public forum certainly can't help! (not directed at you) Weren't these threads more vague in the past? 

4 hours ago, KevinS said:

Publishing sales figures in a public forum certainly can't help! (not directed at you) Weren't these threads more vague in the past? 

No.

The forum does have a search function.

There has been some debate about this, and while fees (especially low ones) are a definite no no on the forum, not everybody agrees even on those.

The red arrow is not mine btw, but I do think overall gross numbers in these monthly threads are relatively harmless. It's pretty obvious that the bulk news deals play a large role in the low averages here. It's also quite obvious that the low prices are offset by huge amounts of images that are being used. (I have counted 100 to 220 images per issue in one case, one third to half of them from Alamy. Now that's a bulk deal. This was no UK media btw.)

There are certainly a couple of clients I would love to see coming back. Even at those newspaper deal prices (which differ greatly because of circulation and placement). Personally I'm not that much affected by the newspaper deal fees.

It's clear that people like that media owner who's so poor he's ranked only 62 on the current billionaires list have an enormous leverage. After all three months ago he was at #94.

wim

3 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Please.

The prices contribs report ARE the prices Alamy offer.

How would a buyer, by visiting this forum, get the idea

that they can demand a lower price than what Alamy offers????

If someone reports a PU for $19.99 gross, how is a buyer

going to use that info to license a PU for $18.99 ??????!!!!!!

Please provide evidence buyers even visit this forum...

(a buyer-contrib one-off is possible...)

Regardless, greenies or reds, get me to 666 asap !!!

1. The prices that Alamy 'offer' are not always the same as the prices at which they sell.

2. If buyers have any kind of business sense, they ask! When I go shopping, I frequently ask if I can get a lower price. 'If you don't ask, you don't get'! (I wish that the PM system was still in place, as I'd provide you with more info here, but this is not the place). 

3. If, as a buyer, I saw a low price quoted with license details, I would be pushing for as close to that price as I could get. 

4. Doubt that it is easy to provide 'proof' that buyers visit this forum. Prove that they don't!   Anyway, I get a feeling of Deja Vu. 

2 minutes ago, losdemas said:

If, as a buyer, I saw a low price quoted with license details, I would be pushing for as close to that price as I could get.

And I, as a seller, would say, that's the bulk rate for buyers of over 100 files a month / whatever.

1 hour ago, losdemas said:

Of course!  And as a buyer, that's exactly the response I would expect - and be prepared for.  Then you start to haggle. As I said,  if you don't ask,  you don't get. 

You can only haggle if the other party wants to haggle. If Alamy say sorry that's the price, it's take it or leave it, the balls back in your court. Are you gonna haggle over 5 bucks, 10 bucks, if you're only buying one image. I don't think so. If you commit to buying 100 or 1000 then maybe you can fashion a deal but it will still be along Alamy's guidelines. Yes? That's the way I see it anyway. 

2 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

You can only haggle if the other party wants to haggle. If Alamy say sorry that's the price, it's take it or leave it, the balls back in your court. Are you gonna haggle over 5 bucks, 10 bucks, if you're only buying one image. I don't think so. If you commit to buying 100 or 1000 then maybe you can fashion a deal but it will still be along Alamy's guidelines. Yes? That's the way I see it anyway. 

I understand your point and generally agree with you. However, the long term trend would suggest that the seller is increasingly of the mind to give the buyer the best deal they can, with the mindset that any sale is better than no sale. I know that many contributors here think the same way. Are Alamy going to lower the price when pressed or let the customer go elsewhere?

Anyhow, this could get lengthy. ;) :) Going to bow out now before this thread gets totally sidetracked. 

Archived