specifically, your noise reduction workflow?

done to RAWs only?

done to RAWs & then again to 16bitTIFs?

done to 16bitTIFs only?

other?

details on what specifically is done...?

me: RAWs only in ACR by setting NoiseReduction sliders at

Luminance +60

LuminanceDetail +60

other 3 sliders = +20

comments?  find fault?

Posted (edited)

Sony A58. RAWs in LR so no TIFFs.

Default import setting at 50 but sometimes a bit more. 25 colour. I don't have the other sliders. I also cancel my usual clarity/vibrance/saturation settings. Resize to 3250 long side.

Edited by spacecadet

RAWs only

8 bit

No underexposure

No noise reduction

Pull back the highlights

Add some clarity

Posted (edited)

I find that Sony's "handheld twilight" mode (JPEG only) can work very well for high ISO shots. This was taken at ISO 6400 with my NEX-6, no post-processing. I downsized to 25MB, but probably didn't need to as there wasn't really much in the way of visible noise.

empty-offices-in-a-high-rise-office-buil

Edited by John Mitchell

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I find that Sony's "handheld twilight" mode (JPEG only) can work very well for high ISO shots. This was taken at ISO 6400 with my NEX-6, no post-processing. I downsized to 25MB, but probably didn't need to as there wasn't really much in the way of visible noise.

I'm encouraged to try HHT again, it wasn't good enough on the last camera and I was having my jpeg "plastic" problems then so probably wouldn't have trusted it. I'll have a go on the A58. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by spacecadet

We have:

a. cancel Clarity

b. double down Clarity

Despite my NR workflow described above,

sometimes still noisy, like this dusk sky:

(what would others have done???)

p9e8w7.jpg

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I'm encouraged to try HHT again, it wasn't good enough on the last camera and I was having my jpeg "plastic" problems then so probably wouldn't have trusted it. I'll have a go on the A58. Thanks for the tip.

Methinks it's worth experimenting with. But please don't quote me...

I've haven't tried HHT yet with the Sony a6000 that I bought recently. It has a much better sensor (less noise, higher resolution) that the NEX-6, so I'm hoping the results will be better too.

I have quite a few HHT images on Alamy. No problems with QC. Here's another one.

coniferous-tree-silhouetted-by-the-setti

Edited by John Mitchell

I know buying new software isn't on your list of options Jeff, but if you have a moment its worth giving DxO Photolab a try. They offer a 30 day fully functional trial. My ISO 3200 workflow is nothing, I just let DxO Prime (which is their NR algorithm that works on RAW conversion) work its magic. I even have ISO6400 here that are not treated for noise apart from DxO Prime. If you do a lot of high ISO work then it may be worth keeping an eye on their webpage and buying Photolab when they have one of their pretty frequent sales.

Colin

Posted (edited)

Try not to shoot at ISO3200. Image stabilisation on a6500 allows relatively long hand held shutter speeds, however....

Typically do 2 raw conversions in LR, one with significant noise reduction and one without. Combine in PS overlaying the untouched image with the reduced noise effort. Delete highlight detail on the top layer then flatten layers.  

More generally occasionally select sky in PS for noise reduction. If you are lucky select colour range does the job, possibly with some un-selection elsewhere.

Sometimes do both.

Edited by Bryan

4 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

I know buying new software isn't on your list of options Jeff, but if you have a moment its worth giving DxO Photolab a try. They offer a 30 day fully functional trial. My ISO 3200 workflow is nothing, I just let DxO Prime (which is their NR algorithm that works on RAW conversion) work its magic. I even have ISO6400 here that are not treated for noise apart from DxO Prime. If you do a lot of high ISO work then it may be worth keeping an eye on their webpage and buying Photolab when they have one of their pretty frequent sales.

Colin

Have to confess that I do the same with high ISO RAW files -- I just hit the "prime" button in DxO and go do something else for a few minutes. Prime is slow on my ageing computer. However, it does an excellent job at NR, and I'm not in a rush. It's the lazy person's solution. B)

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

I know buying new software isn't on your list of options

Much much more about avoiding time-consuming learning curves.

But if DxOP ISO 3200 fix is truly just a single click action without any other preparation...

Is it possible to demonstrate its effect on my bats-at-dusk image above?

(just one click, nothing else)

Edited by JeffGreenberg

If you want to send me the RAW file Jeff I can send you the one click processed jpeg. If you click on my name you will see my pixels.com website. If you go to my website and comment on an image your email will appear in my inbox. You can then email the RAW and I can show you what DxO does one click.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

If you want to send me the RAW file...I can show you what DxO does one click.

ColinW & all,

Thanks for offer!  I also received your own image** example.

Here is link to (23mp) DNG:

http://www.photosphotos.net/FL171028074.DNG

Am posting here in case any others want to demonstrate 1 or 2 step effective NR.

After DxO one-click fix, are follow-up steps required to eliminate NR softness side-effect?,

**your high res JPG was sRGB, if willing to say, do you submit as sRGB or RGB?

Edited by JeffGreenberg

Jeff, I notice very little, if any, softening with DxO's prime. However, it's slow, taking about five minutes per image with my eight-year-old PC.

Not a problem for me, but...

Oof, five minutes. Its 35 seconds here, on a 2013 iMac 27". As you say, almost no softening or plastic-looking effect with it. 

Posted (edited)

Looking thru NR software comparisons, e.g., 

https://fstoppers.com/originals/ultimate-comparison-nine-noise-reduction-methods-night-photography-122259

also testing applying CC NR filter on 16bitTIF after applying CC DNG NR = 2 step noise reduction...?

but keeping DxO Prime forefront !!!  is that a subscription or one-time purchase...?

NOTE:  PRIME IS NOW CALLED LAB ELITE $199.00?

Edited by JeffGreenberg

Jeff

Their RAW conversion software used to be called DxO Optics Pro, now its DxO Photolab and comes with local controls like LR. Prime is their noise reduction algorithm which is part of Photolab. They do two versions, essential and elite. You will need elite to get Prime. $199 is the full price but if you subscribe to their website they send out sales pretty frequently. Its a one-time purchase. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

Oof, five minutes. Its 35 seconds here, on a 2013 iMac 27". As you say, almost no softening or plastic-looking effect with it. 

It can be a bit quicker sometimes, depends on the image. I'm using an older version of of DxO (Optics Pro 9 Elite), which probably makes a difference. Processing is no doubt faster with the latest Photolab.

Edited by John Mitchell

Posted (edited)

DxO Prime applied to my image improved sky "smoothness".

But in this 100% JPG crop I noticed ?artifacts? in sky that

seem to echo person's hair, swirling around head.

Don't know if this kind of thing risks QC fail...?

(maybe I get them via CC, too...)

FL171028074_DxO-1-crop.jpg

Here is my own 8bitTIF 100% crop:

www.photosphotos.net/FL171028074-my8bitTIFcrop.tif

Edited by JeffGreenberg

Posted (edited)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c04oezec5mq6j85/AADb4CUtMigEXKD_RZRrP50Na?dl=0

Not one stop.

In good old CS6 because that's on the machine I'm at.

wim

edit: the graininess is not in the download, just in the sharpened lighter jpg Dropbox is using as it's preview.

- At least it's a different grain.

Edited by wiskerke